Author Topic: Waterloo  (Read 39637 times)

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 March 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue
I'm afraid we are talking of two different John Andersons - your chap was born in 1799 and the one at Waterloo would have been born around 1782. The Waterloo man's date of birth comes from the Supplementary Pay List  tucked in the back of the WO12 muster book for 1815. 

Yes, Troop 4 was Madox's Troop.

In this era most Privates stayed at that rank for their entire career (with perhaps stints as Corporal). To be a Serjeant you needed to be literate (which few men were).
If your John Anderson was in the 6th in 1815 aged 16 then it is likely he was not taken on campaign in view of his age, this was common practise.

There was also a James Anderson at Waterloo (enlisted 1811 aged 16) perhaps one or both of these men was related to your chap?

Anyway, sorry I can't bring better news. Its still amazing to find an ancestor in a Waterloo regiment in that period, just think of the characters he must have known and the experiences he must have had...

All the best
Martin

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 March 09 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Martin,

Yes, it is wonderful to find a relative back in those times.  I would like to thank you for preventing me going through my search with the wrong person in mind.

I also have learnt a lot about the Battle of Waterloo and also what their life was like etc. so all good.

Many thanks and I will check out the James Anderson also.

- Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Harris/Prince - Wiltshire
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Anderson - Ireland/Buckinghamshire
Gauron - London/France

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Forget to thank you Scrimnett.  All info helps me greatly. - Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Here I am again Martin,

I am unable to find a birth for John Anderson, 1799 Chesham Bucks.   Another gent on RootsChat thought he could have been an orphan. Perhaps one who followed a recruitment party.   He actually attested in Tullamore, Ireland.   He gave his trade as Cordwainer which I know is shoemaker.

So I am just asking your opinion on this next question with the thought that you obviously know a lot about the cavalry during Waterloo.

Now, John joined in 1813 aged 14 yrs.  Would the cavalry in your opinion,  have taught him to read and write? He has signed his papers and his marriage in 1825.  It just sends me in a slightly different direction if he was able to read and write in 1813.

Many thanks for your opinion.  = Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

I think for a 14 year old boy to call himself a cordwainer is gilding the lily a bit. Cordwainers worked with expensive leathers and he could not have been an apprentice as he would not have been allowed to enlist.

Ken

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 17:17 GMT (UK) »
So am I right in thinking you have copies of the discharge papers of your man ?
These are available at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-3877583&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CJOHN%2CANDERSON%2C6TH&accessmethod=0

Enlisted 1813 - discharged 1841 aged 42.

If so, you can look at the last page of the document. If he has signed his name that's a pretty good sign he was at least semi-literate, the space for most men's signature in this era contains merely an "X".
If however, he remained a Private for those 28 years (again the WO97 document will list any change of rank) then that also means it likely he was illiterate (and thus not available for promotion).  I've never heard of the rank "Barrack Serjeant", perhaps it came into existence after the Nap wars and thus outside my slender field of knowledge!

Just guesses but I hope they help.
All the best
Martin

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 March 09 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ken ,
I can only go by his occupation as described on his discharge papers but another kind Rootschatter also gave the same opinion as you.  Many thanks.

Many thanks to you also Martin.  Yes he has signed his discharge papers and his marriage papers back in 1825.   His discharge papers also show his promotions etc. I also have paperworks from the Nat.Arch listing Barracks in Great Brittain - 4th class.  One of the headings is Barrack Masters and Barrack Sargeants. He seems to have been there from 1844 and then moved but I cant make our where to.  So the search goes on. 
Thanks again for all your assistance.  - Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 April 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin

Do you have anything on Pte Michl McGURN, of Capt Charles Hawes Company, 32 Regiment of Foot?

Thank you
Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 April 09 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean
Not much I'm afraid - I have him listed as killed, or at least he is still listed as "missing since 19th June" (they mean since Waterloo) on the December 1815 muster.

Can I ask why you ask? Did he ever turn up?

Regards
Martin