Author Topic: Waterloo  (Read 39757 times)

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterloo
« on: Saturday 17 January 09 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I keep a detailed database of all 30,000 Waterloo combatants and am happy to help for free with any enquiries regarding Waterloo soldiers.

Regards
Martin Aaron

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo-completed thank you
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 March 09 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin, You may be able to assist me with some info.  I have a grandfather who enlisted in the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons in 1813 at the age of 14 yrs.

John Anderson born 1799 Chesham, Buckinghamshire.  He was on the 1841 census with 6th Inniskillings.

Now I have his discharge papers in 1841 from the National Archives.  He was discharged due to poor health.  He must have re-enlisted or have been given the post of Barracks Sargeant in Ipswich with the 11th Hussars.  He has the correct family with him, so this is no mistake.

Now on his discharge papers where it records service, there is a gap regarding where he was and what he did between 1813 and 1816 possibly 1817.

I have a John Anderson on the Medals list for Waterloo serving in the 6th Inniskillings as a private under Cpt. Madox.  I have done some reading on Waterloo and believe that anyone who fought in the battle was give the title "Waterloo Man" and a record of two extra years service was added to their papers.    My question is:  How do I confirm/deny if my John Anderson is the John Anderson who fought at the Battle of Waterloo??  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks - Sue, Australia
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Harris/Prince - Wiltshire
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Anderson - Ireland/Buckinghamshire
Gauron - London/France

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 March 09 07:12 GMT (UK) »
He must have re-enlisted or have been given the post of Barracks Sargeant in Ipswich with the 11th Hussars.  He has the correct family with him, so this is no mistake.

Hi Sue

Can you say when he was a Barrack Sergeant? There was a separate Barrack Department, so he was unconnected with the 11th Hussars. They were just in 'his' barracks at the time.

You are correct about the two years extra service granted to Waterloo men. If he had been an officer his entries in the Army List would have been preceded by a very ornate W.

Ken

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 March 09 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,
He was Barracks sargeant in Ipswich in 1851.   I cant find a death anywhere for him. That was the last census he was on.  I had a genealogist at the National Archives looking for him following 1851 but he couldnt find him after that census.  I have a paper from Ipswich stating he was moved to some place that starts with a D but the guy from the National Archives couldnt make it out and neither can I.  He made Sargeant so I dont think would be on the Officers lists.  We couldnt find him in the main Army Hospitals either.  He was discharged due to poor health, thoroughly worn out constitution due to Army Service. Also the chap looking through the Archives went through the Barrack Sargeant records, that is where he found the Ipswich paper. 

I also do not know how to prove or disprove that he was at Waterloo.  Would not showing the wording"Waterloo Man" mean that he wasnt there or could it have been an oversight?

Thank you for your help.   Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 March 09 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Se
findmypast have medal lists for Waterloo...I found my Great(something) Uncle there...a very nice medal it is too.
ALL men who served at Waterloo, including lower ranks, were issued with one
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 March 09 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sylvia, yes I think I have found my g.g.g.grandfather on that Medal List but on his Army Discharge papers in 1841, it does not show that he fought at Waterloo.  So I am trying to confirm
whether or not the John Anderson at Waterloo is my John Anderson.

Many thanks your thoughts and assistance.  Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 March 09 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue
If I understand you correctly the service record for your John Anderson has a gap in it from 1813-1816. If this is right it simply means he wan't in the army for that period - he may have completed his first length of service in 1813, left the army then, a few years later, decided to reenlist.

The Private John Anderson in the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons at Waterloo served in No 4 Troop. He had enlisted in 1800 aged 18 so would have been around 33 at Waterloo.

Hope this helps

Regards
Martin Aaron

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 March 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Martin,

Was the 4th, Cpt. Madox's troup?

Sorry, I didnt make it clear.  He is down as being in the 6th Inniskillings from 1813 to 1817 but doesnt say where he served.   He did go to Ireland with the 6th a few times.  My g.grandmother was born there in around 1841.  Also his first son was born in Ireland in 1830 with other children being born in different parts of England.  The Inniskillings were located in the area of each birth.  His record shows that he never left the Inniskillings.

On the discharge papers where it states "Served" it states 24 yrs and 70 days served at home(I initially did think this said "horse")   So take this 24 yrs 70 days away from 1813-1841, it leaves a gap in where he was during the early years.   It does not state if he served anywhere else.   I guess "home"could include Ireland.
On reading through again, the discharge papers state that he was 18 yrs a non-com officer and 14 years in the Riding School. 

Would the John Anderson who joined up in 1800, still be a private at Waterloo?

Thank you so much for your assistance. - Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 March 09 22:32 GMT (UK) »
You would be surprised as to what the Army classes as a home posting...Germany is so classed!

Don't forget that up until partitiion in 1922, ALL of Ireland was as much as part of Britain and the Union as Wales or Scotland!
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.