Author Topic: 1911 census advice please  (Read 7564 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census advice please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 January 09 18:55 GMT (UK) »
The places mentioned are all within a quite small area of north west Kent. I suggest you ignore other girls named Pretoria as that was a common name at that time - end of the Boer War.
Dartford is the main town of the area and was the centre of a large paper-making trade. Swanley is about 4 miles away as the flow cries and Crockenhill is a small old village again only about 2 miles from there - at the time your ancestors were there it was the centre of a significant market garden area. Eynsford also had a paper mill and is in the immediate area.
I have attached a jpeg of Hasted's map of 1779 of the area. The copyright of this image belongs to me so you are welcome to print off a copy.

You mention West Hill as a place for which you searched but not in the transcribed information. West Hill is in Dartford itself and had a hospital and orphanage. But young orphan boys mostly went to the Little Boys Homes in Hextable - in the middle of this area.

The main road through Crockenhill is Cray Road on one side and Eynsford Road on the other. There is a Tyler Green Road close by.

Now - great news - if you put Best Cottage Crockenhill into you browser search you will find an actual picture of the Best Cottages!

Alexander Terrace no longer exists.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 January 09 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hack

Thank you for that, the map is wonderful, and to see a photo of the place my grandmother was born even better. I see that site was only very recently updated too.

I've looked at the institution records and think thet the entries for Sarah, May, Fred & Annie are possibly all mine as the ages and places of birth match my records. However, there is no way of finding out what institution they are in. I wonder if the children were in the orphanage and Sarah in the Workhouse as in 1914/15 I have the workhouse records which confirm the children were in the workhouse orphanage at that time ( and went to & fro the infirmary regularly).

Am I able to find out the institution or do I have to wait a few more years for this info to become available. Is it worth trying to obtain further workhouse records for this period?

cheers

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 January 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I think the discussion was that the transcript includes the address for institution 'households'  (no space for address on the handwritten page)
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 January 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure the address will be somewhere on the paperwork of the original image;  we will soon be given access to the other papers which are included in the original image price. 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 January 09 00:22 GMT (UK) »
                I'm sure I read in another thread that you can reveal the name of an institution by clicking on the 'print preview' option (or its proper name - I forget). Haven't been there myself, but it's on a RC 1911 tips thread I read earlier.

Pinot

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 January 09 05:47 GMT (UK) »

Another example - looking for an Irish Mc*** surname, but only the part of the name following the Mc was transcribed!

I would suggest if you don't find your Mc***'s  then try again with a space between the c and next letter, Mc ***. Found my McGurn's this way.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 January 09 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure the address will be somewhere on the paperwork of the original image;  we will soon be given access to the other papers which are included in the original image price. 

It certainly should be but my gtgt grandad was in a workhouse and the address is not on the page.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 January 09 09:52 GMT (UK) »
The Dartford institution is at RD43 SD3 ED28 which comes out in Wilmington.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 January 09 10:09 GMT (UK) »

It certainly should be but my gtgt grandad was in a workhouse and the address is not on the page.

Paul

I think that if you click onto the TRANSCRIPT icon instead of the IMAGE icon when it comes up scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find the
address of the workhouse. 

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe