Author Topic: Devon Regiment/W.H.GLIDDON  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Cheesey50

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devon Regiment/W.H.GLIDDON
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Please forgive me if i am repeating anything, but i think  the man you are searching for was born in Holsworthy Devon in 1878 June quarter. He served in India, S.Africa and WW1. Medal entitlement  I.G.S. Boer war pair  and WW1 trio. He was severely wounded at ELANDSLAAGTE  S Africa  21/10/1899.  He served in the Devon Regiment.
                 Roy

Google Devon Heritage.  Should be second title on page, click on that and then Devon 2nd Boer War Roll of honour 1899-02  GLIDDON is listed on that

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roy and welcome.... ;D

Nil forgiveness required...!!

All int is good int!

;) ;)

Actually that is a really nice medal group...

Barrie...Are the medals still in the family??
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 February 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheesy (Roy) and Scrimmet,

Trust the snow has gone and things are warming up as this topic of mine starts to develop. Cheesy, acting on your clue towards the possible parents of W.H. the 1881 Census gives a clue or two. With no On-line Parish Clerk a Birth Certificate hopefully for W.H. has been ordered and a Marriage Certificate for his parents. Another week or so may provide the answer for the topic. The Devon Heritage site is great. One is in awe of the folk who take time to delve into the old records to assist those unable to drop into the Exeter Record Office to look at the data they have. The 1891 Census indicates that W.H. with two siblings may well have been an inmate of the Holsworthy Union Workshop being classified as a pauper. Looking back his father Samuel may have died in 1885 and the mother, Elizabeth, in 1887. Will know more in a week or so. Also a pity that there is no current On Line Parish Clerk there as well.
  Scrmnet, somehow one would consider the family have long passed the medals on if they were offered for sale a year or so ago. And only time will tell if they related to us downunder.
  Again thanks for taking the time to help unravel this part of my possible family.

Barrie Green   :D :D :D
New Zealand.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 February 09 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheesy (Roy) and Scrimmet,

Trust the snow has gone and things are warming up as this topic of mine starts to develop. Cheesy, acting on your clue towards the possible parents of W.H. the 1881 Census gives a clue or two. With no On-line Parish Clerk a Birth Certificate hopefully for W.H. has been ordered and a Marriage Certificate for his parents. Another week or so may provide the answer for the topic. The Devon Heritage site is great. One is in awe of the folk who take time to delve into the old records to assist those unable to drop into the Exeter Record Office to look at the data they have. The 1891 Census indicates that W.H. with two siblings may well have been an inmate of the Holsworthy Union Workshop being classified as a pauper. Looking back his father Samuel may have died in 1885 and the mother, Elizabeth, in 1887. Will know more in a week or so. Also a pity that there is no current On Line Parish Clerk there as well.
  Scrmnet, somehow one would consider the family have long passed the medals on if they were offered for sale a year or so ago. And only time will tell if they related to us downunder.
  Again thanks for taking the time to help unravel this part of my possible family.

Barrie Green   :D :D :D
New Zealand.

Sorry yes, I do so many posts, it is occasionally difficult to remember every previous post, and when I do a second reply, I only read the immediate previous... ::) ::) :-[
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.