Author Topic: NANKERVIS Family  (Read 19313 times)

Offline Sandra Seares

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NANKERVIS Family
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Could you please advise me how I post something to Cornish Ancestors in Rootsweb.

My GGrandfather John Warren Nankervis was born to a John Nankervis and a Nanny Warren (Conflicting dates in here) either 1840 or 1846. This has caused no end of trouble.

ON Ancestors Family Trees, sometimes he is married to one Elizabeth White and others to Mary Wearn Nankervis. I have attached a Marriage Certificate for a Mary Wearne Nankervis for your perusal. This was in Daylesford - Victoria Australia.

With both Wives on Ancestors, he is passing away in Daylesford Victoria in 1917.

My feeling is people have got the researching not quite right.

Now to my problem.

My GGrandfather William George Henry was born in South Australia in 1860 Father John Waring Nankervis, Mother Sophia Adams. He had a brother Thomas Adams Nankervis born 1857 Father John Warren Nankervis. After this there is no record of him in South Australia. I cannot find him dying there at all. Also the only John Warren born anywhere near those dates is perhaps the one born in 1840. 1846 would make him too young. I am thinking maybe he moved to Victoria and started a new life. Our South Australian Records here are not very good and one of the worst in all our states. We do have Sophia remarrying, this came from a friend who found this for me.(This maybe what you need.... Sophia JOY died 17 June 1892 aged 53 Reg Adelaide. Book 203 Page 112 Husband recorded as Henry JOY )
(Henry JOY died 8 Apr 1901 aged 65 Adelaide Book 277 Page 15).

Maybe there is someone out there that can help me. Maybe you could post this for me. I am a paid up member of Ancestors, just let me know how you wish to process if you can help me.

Warmest Regards

Sandra Seares

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nankervis Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 January 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra...and welcome to rootschat.

I am unable to help with a post to Cornish Ancestors on rootsweb or ?Ancestors...do you mean ancestry.  Perhaps we can help you here.

I have asked a moderator to move your request to the Emigrants to Australia Board.

You appear to have taken John's birth from submitted records to familysearch.org.  I always treat submitted records with caution.

Would you please type up all the information on the 1871 marriage cert in Victoria.  You said you have it.

Marriage in Vic
NANKERVIS John  born Cornwall
NANKERVIS Mary Wearn  born Cornwall
1871  Reg #4597

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
Births Sep 1853 
NANKERVIS    Mary Wearn    Penzance 5c/328

Then there is this marriage
Marriages Sep 1846 
NANKERVIS    John         Penzance    9/227    
WARREN Jane         Penzance    9/22

and some 1846/1847 births

Births Sep 1846 
NANKERVIS   John         Penzance 9/193    
Births Dec 1846 
NANKERVIS   John Monks    Penzance 9/200
Births Jun 1847 
NANKERVIS    John         Penzance 9/196

There are two deaths for a John NANKERVIS in Victoria one in 1917 and one in 1918 with the same parents!!

NANKERVIS
John
Father Nankervis John Mother Jane WARREN
36 years at Prahran   1918  Reg#6386

NANKERVIS John Warren
Father Nankervis John  Mother Jane WARREN
71 years  At Daylesford  1917  Reg#8256

After all that searching...how do you think they fit with your SA family?  Seems to be a different family.

Marriage Dec 1839
NANKERVIS John         Penzance    9/243
WARREN Nanny         Penzance    9/243

Births Mar 1840 
NANKERVIS John         Penzance  9/214

Births Jun 1840   
NANKERVIS John Thomas     Penzance 9/187

You could purchase a certificate from GRO to solve your dilemma
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

I am a bit puzzled at your friend's claim that the Sophia JOY dying in 1892 is the widow of John NANKERVIS.

This is the only marriage on the SA Indexes for a Henry JOY with a wife Sophia.  There is no  marriage for a Sophia NANKERVIS to a JOY.

Marriage
JOY Henry  Full age  Status Widow  Father John JOY
FARRELL Sophia  Full age  Status Widow  Father John ADAMS
3 Mar 1874
At St Paul Church [Adelaide]  Ref Ade 98/903

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandra Seares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 January 09 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando

I thank you for your reply and will try to absorb what you have sent me.I still think I am right though about Sophia Joy. I feel she was not married to John Nankervis. If her Father was a John Adams that makes her maiden name Adams. Can you tell me where the Farrell comes in? My GGreat Uncle Thomas Adams Nankervis born 1857 in SA was buried in the Brinkworth Cemetry in SA in 1942 and a 2nd cousin of mine who has been researching as well, rang that area and found relatives who knew of Thomas. They said he lived most of his life under the name of Tom Joy and that is how the locals knew him. Apparently when it comes to Sophia they do not want to talk of her. my cousin is chipping away at them.
I have to go to work today but will forward your email on there and peruse what you have told me.
I cannot work this attachment thing here if you could give me an email address I will forward the marriage certificate of John Nankervis to you.
Warm regards and thank you for your reply
Sandra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 January 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Sandra. You need to make a few posts before you can use pm (personal message) system so if you post another reply then you should be able to send Cando your email address offline.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 January 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

I suppose what I have attempted to do is try to validate the information you have been given or found.

I found this marriage in SA allowing for mistranscriptions, illiteracy and accents.  Should have continued with your query last night but it was getting quite late....well for me.

FERREL William  36 years  Status Single  Father John FERREL
ADAMS Sophia  33 years  Status Single  Father John ADAMS
24 Sep 1872
At St Paul Church Adelaide  Ade 92/624

and this death but absolutely no way of proving it is the same Wm FARRELL...a commonly occurring name and ages don't quite agree.  However a transcription of his death certificate from
http://www.saghs.org.au/research.htm#transcription
may yield more information.  Hopefully both the marriage cert and death cert may show his occupation, if it is the same man.

FARRELL William
3 Feb 1874
40 years   Status Not known   
Residence Adelaide  Death Place Adelaide   Ade 56/124

There is not identifying information in the indexes to be sure this is the correct man....or woman for that matter.  ADAMS also a fairly common name.

I think the fact that you have associated your gg uncle Thomas with the name JOY would certainly lead me to think this is the correct Sophia ADAMS and she was not married, well as far as we can find, to John NANKERVIS and claimed she was single of her marriage to John FERREL/FARRELL in 1872.

Death
NANKERVIS Thomas Adams
4 Aug 1942  84 years  Status Single 
Residence Brinkworth  Death Place Blyth  Cla H 653/4196

Link to South Australian Resources including information on bdm's over the years.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,280572.0.html

Now back to this Vic family

On the same page on free bdm there is also a Jane NANKERVIS who could also have married a John NANKERVIS in Dec qtr 1839.  Perhaps if you were to purchase the death certificate of the John Warren NANKERVIS who died in 1917 it may reveal a little more information.  Perhaps that is where the name Jane as mother may have come from.

I have listed all the births I can see to John NANKERVIS and Mary NANKERVIS in the Victorian Indexes and you can see the variations on her surname.

NANKERVIS Mary Elizabeth
Father John Mother Mary NANKERVIS
At Daylesford    1872  Reg#8445

NANKERVIS John
Father John  Mother Mary Wa NANKERVIS
At Daylesford  1875  Reg#22292

NANKERVIS Charles Henry
Father John  Mother Mary NANKARVIS
At Daylesford  1878  Reg#2009

NANKERVIS
Andrew James
Father John  Mother Mary NANKERVIS
At Daylesford  1879  Reg#22431

NANKERVIS William Ernest
Father John Warren  Mother Mary WEARNE
At Daylesford  1882  Reg#1942

NANKERVIS
James
Father John  Mother Mary Warns NANKERVIS
At Daylesford  1884  Reg#1966

NANKERVIS Annie Elizabeth
Father John Warren  Mother Mary Warren NANKERVIS
At Daylesford  1886  Reg#2266

NANKERVIS Richard Thomas
Father John Warren  Mother Mary Wearn NANKERVIS
At Daylesford  1888  Reg#2338

NANKERVIS Ethel
Father John  Mother Mary We NANKERVIS
At Daylesford  1893  Reg# 30903

NANKERVIS
Joseph
Father John Warren  Mother Mary Wearn NANKERVIS
At Daylesford   1891  Reg#32307

NANKERVIS Stephen
Father John Warren  Mother Mary Wearne NANKERVIS
At Daylesford  1891  Reg#12030

For your info
Death
NANKERVIS Mary Wearne
Father:Nankervis Andrew  Mother Marjory  NANKERVIS
Death Place Newton & Chillwell    86 years  1940  Reg#16178

and her parents' marriage
Marriages Sep 1853 
NANKERVIS Andrew James  Penzance 5c/486    
NANKERVIS Margery         Penzance 5c/486

Sandra I think the only way you can connect the John NANKERVIS who died in 1917 to your family is to purchase the death cert and see if he spent any of his time in Australia in South Australia.

You can purchase and immediately download from
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Cheers
Cando

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 January 09 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello  there Sandra and welcome to Rootschat.

This is a bit of a muddle  isn't it.

Can I  offer  this suggestion please in good faith
Take no notice of  other trees they are clouding  the issue(  As Dee has said)

and just tell us  what you  have to hand.

I am assuming you  have traced backwards using  certificates or family  knowledge to  the point of Actually  knowing your GGF details
"My GGrandfather William George Henry was born in South Australia in 1860 Father John Waring Nankervis, Mother Sophia Adams"

did you come to this conclusion yourself using certificates etc  or have you relied on information from others please

It might sound as if I am being critical but it is not meant like that, in order to help you out  we do need a few hard facts.

Cando  has certianly given you a lot to work with.

kind thoughts Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 January 09 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Jenn - my two bob's worth...again ::)  I agree with your comments about other people's trees... 

Perhaps this is how it goes!!

John NANKERVIS was born in 1840 in Penzance Cornwall to John NANKERVIS and either Jane NANKERVIS or Nanny WARREN who married in Dec qtr 1839 Penzance.  I think John emigrated to South Australia...bet he was a miner.  Fathered the two children with Sophia ADAMS and then moved on to another mining area in Victoria namely Daylesford and married Mary Wearne NANKERVIS dau Andrew NANKERVIS and Marjory NANKERVIS who married Sep qtr 1853 with Mary Wearn being born Sep qtr 1853 also. 

I wonder how accurate the ages are on the marriage certs?  Perhaps Sandra could please type up the details...I don't need to see the certificate.

I have read the numerous NANKERVIS and ADAMS entries in BISA and can't place either John or Sophia.  Also searched the shipping indexes.

Note they both married about the same time John in Victoria 1871 and  Sophia in South Australia in 1872.

I think the name Warren has caused people to perhaps guess or assume and then include possibly incorrect data  The death cert in 1917 may help more.  I think his age is more likely to be accurate on the death certificate if the information was given by his wife.  There appears to be a 13 year age gap and how often do we see the man lowering his age when marrying a younger woman::) ::)

Thomas Adams NANKERVIS was known as Tom JOY and why don't the descendants wish to discuss Sophia ADAMS :-\

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 January 09 02:06 GMT (UK) »
And a little more fact but is it the right man!

Australian Electoral Records
NANKERVIS John Wearn, Stanley Street, Daylesford  Miner

NANKERVIS John Warren,  Stanley Street, Daylesford  Miner
NANKERVIS Mary Warren,  Stanley Street, Daylesford  HD

NANKERVIS  John Warren, Stanley Street, Daylesford  Miner
NANKERVIS  Mary Werne,  Stanley Stret, Daylesford  HD

Neither William George Henry or Thomas Adams NANKERVIS are identifiable on the 1909 South Australian Electoral Roll.

Cheers
Cando

Offline Sandra Seares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 January 09 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando

Do not know if I am doing this right. Have logged in from work. I shall look more closely when I get home but there certainly seems to be more information about Sophia. Thank you so much. I am sure she was not married to John Nankervis. I think my John Nankervis is the one born in 1840. I know on his marriage certificate he states he is 25 which would make his birth 1846. He also says he is single. I am sure the John Nankervis passing in 1918 in Daylesford was his son. My GGrandfather moved to Victoria and most of his children were born there including my Grandfather Herbert Henry Thomas. He was married in SA to an Elizabeth Mufford. I have his death certificate, I think. Look maybe that John Nankervis in Daylesford was not my GGGrandfather. But what happened to my GGG if that was not him. It is such a mystery. Apparently my GG Uncle according to a relative who is in their 90's was illiterate and loved a drink. Went under the name Tom Joy. He told my 2nd cousin that Tom had a fiance who died and that is when he hit the drink. He apparently them moved up near the Adams family. where he worked on their farm till he died in 1942. They laid a tombstone which actually says Thomas Adams Nankervis laid by the Adams Family. I do not mind giving my email on here to you, would that be ok. Managed to attach marriage certificate.

Warm regards

Sandra