Author Topic: 1800s NAME CHANGE  (Read 2955 times)

Offline geordiewesterby

• RootsChat Extra
  • James Westerby, 11th Hussars, my great great uncle
    • View Profile
1800s NAME CHANGE
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm working on a theory that my g g g grandfather Matthew Westerby was born out of wedlock with his mother's surname ROBSON, in St Andrews parish in Newcastle in 1810, baptised there in 1811,  his parents never married, but he later took his father's surname. The first official record I have of him is his marriage certificate from 1838. Does anyone have any knowledge of whether it (the name change) was likely to have been done legally, rather than him just calling himself Westerby, and if so, where would such a record be held ?

Thanks to all the Rootschat people who have helped me with Matthew, decided to start a new topic and it's getting a bit more specific.

All thoughts welcome.

David

NORTHUMBERLAND/DURHAM: Westerby, Kirkland, Younghusband, Brown, Beck, Leith, Dixon, Gilroy, Roseburgh, Sheriff, Shield, Turnbull, Renwick
YORKSHIRE: Westerby
CANADA: Delahoy, Westerby

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1800s NAME CHANGE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 January 09 18:36 GMT (UK) »
David,

Because "name changing" is such a wide topic, I suggest your research it yourself. For e.g. you could google (UK) " name change".

I think you will be surprised how easy and fuss-free it was/is ! And not necessarily requiring any " legal" action.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.