Author Topic: Thomas Bell GIBBONS - Marlow  (Read 22628 times)

Offline joanscottallen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Bell GIBBONS - Marlow
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Thomas Bell Gibbons (born Marlow around 1818).  He married Hannah Robinson (born around 1817 in Hambleden, Bucks).  They emigrated to Australia around 1851.
Any help on how I can get started would be appreciated.

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bell Gibbons, Marlow, Bucks
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 January 09 15:00 GMT (UK) »

Hi and welcome to Rootschat :)

This looks like Thomas in 1851 in Llanbeblig, Caernarvonshire

HO107 / 2516 / 7 / 6

Maria Davids, wid, head age 66 b Chelsea
Smith William Davids son age 26 b Crayford, Kent, occ water salesman
Thomas Bell Gibbons visitor age 31 b Marlow, Bucks, occ gentleman
Hannah Gibbons visitor age 32 b Hambledon, Bucks
Mary Hughes servant age 29 b Caernarvon, occ house servant

Sue

Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kaysy

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 January 09 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan, I have the Baptisms for All Saints Gt Marlow. Found the following.

Thomas Bell Gibbons, son of Thomas and Sarah Gibbons, Baptised 14th January 1819. Occupation of Thomas (Senior) Coal Merchant.

Regards Kaysy
Buckinghamshire. Gt Marlow. Harris, Rockall/ell, Rackstraw, Frith, Howard, Martin. Bedfordshire. Clophill, Flitton with Silsoe. White, Parslow, Denton, Woodcraft, Waple. Hampshire. Huish. Surrey Kingston on Thames, Parslow. Cambridgeshire. Over, Willingham. Ginn, Hayden.

Offline joanscottallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 January 09 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  That is brilliant.  I am researching on behalf of my friend in Australia, who is the great-great grandaughter of Thomas Bell Gibbons. 
Can you let me know how I can see these records?
Kind regards
Joan A.

Offline Kaysy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 January 09 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan, I have the baptismal and burial parish records in book form for All Saints Gt Marlow and marriages from 1592-1837 on microfiche, if I can help in any way just let me know. There is a marriage between a Thomas Gibbons and a Sarah X Crockett by License 29.08.1782, Witnesses Josh Bird and Mary Bird at All Saints Gt Marlow. There is a Baptism for a Sarah Crockett, daughter of John and Sarah 16.01.1752. This would make her aged around 30 when married. Perhaps she had been married before and this was her previous married name.
The only baptism for a Thomas Gibbons I could find was, Thomas Gibbons son of John and Dorothy Gibbons 15.02.1738, if this is the Thomas that married Sarah Crockett he would be aged around 44.
Kind Regards
Kaysy
Buckinghamshire. Gt Marlow. Harris, Rockall/ell, Rackstraw, Frith, Howard, Martin. Bedfordshire. Clophill, Flitton with Silsoe. White, Parslow, Denton, Woodcraft, Waple. Hampshire. Huish. Surrey Kingston on Thames, Parslow. Cambridgeshire. Over, Willingham. Ginn, Hayden.

Offline joanscottallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bell GIBBONS - Marlow
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 January 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Kaysy-
Thank you again, this is excellent information.
On the off-chance I visited All Saints Church on Tuesday.  Imagine my astonishment to discover a group of Gibbons gravestones!  In particular Thomas Gibbons died March 27 1824, aged 79. Also, his wife Sarah Gibbons died 25th Jan 1810 aged 59. Could these be the parents of Thomas Bell Gibbons?
I have done the arithmetic - if Thomas died in 1824 aged 79 then his birth year would be approximately 1743, so a little bit out from 1738.  But for Sarah Crockett it is almost exact. If Sarah died in 1810 aged 59 then her birth year should be 1751, very close to 1752.
What do you think?
Kind regards
Joan.

Offline joanscottallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 January 09 18:39 GMT (UK) »
A typo!  Should be 1745 for birth year of Thomas Gibbons (senior).
J.

Offline Kaysy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane, I just wrote a long message regarding Thomas Gibbons, for some reason when I sent it the message came up that it had expired. Anyway going through the baptisms again I wrote out a list of the siblings of Thomas Gibbons, sons a & daughters of John and Dorothy,there was a difference of 8 years between a couple of them, there was the surname Gibbeons so I checked on this, low and behold there were 2 siblings under the name Gibbeons for John & Dorothy.
 What was more interesting was there was a baptism for a Thomas Gibbeons 12.8.1744 son of John and Elizabeth. This would make more sense of Thomas that died 1824 aged 79.
There are only 5 baptisms for the surname Gibbeons, 2 were for the children of John and Dorothy the other three, including Thomas were for his siblings. the baptisms then return to the surname Gibbons.
Regarding the difference between Gibbons and Gibbeons, with my name Harris, I am sure that Ayres, Aires, are corruptions of Harris, the parish clerk wrote down what he heard, regarding Ayres, drop an H, have a dialect.
I have the baptisms of the siblings of Thomas 1744 if you require them.
Look forward to your remarks.
Regards,
Kaysy.

Offline Kaysy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan, I forgot to give you the burials for Thomas and Sarah.
Thomas Gibbons buried at All Saints Gt Marlow, 3rd April 1824. Aged 79.
Sarah Gibbons buried All Saints Gt Marlow, 29th January 1810 aged 58.
Regards,
Kaysy.