Author Topic: Keats family, Bucknall  (Read 3641 times)

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
Keats family, Bucknall
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking into the history of the Keats family ~ Mountford and Minnie (Nee Ardern) Keats.  They lived in High Street, Milton in 1901 census.  Mountford lived in Bagnall Hall for a number of years in his childhood with his parents John and Hannah Keats.  I am mostly interested in one of the daughters of Mountford and Minnie namely Hilda Keats who was born in 1903.  In later life (1968) she married my grandfather (both seconds marriages).  I am intrigued as to how their paths crossed my grandfather was a retried farmer from North Wales.  Hilda's first marriage was to a man called Bolton, who was a widower.  I've not been able to pinpoint that marriage yet but am trawling through the BMD year by year quarter by quarter to find it.

If anyone knows of this family I would be grateful for some info.

Many thanks
Margaret

Offline Sam from Stoke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Keats family, Bucknall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Could this be her first marriage?

Staffordshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1943
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
KEATS Hilda BOULTON George T Northwood, Holy Trinity Stoke-On-Trent 24/11/239
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

HILL - PEDLEY -  WILLIS - ROBERTS - BRADSHAW - WEBSTER  - Whitehouse, Withers, Booth, Pointon, Taylor, Kent, Mansfield, Lawton, Tunstall, Lymer.  Mainly from Staffordshire/Derbyshire/Leicestershire areas

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 January 09 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Sam

Thanks for that, it could well be her first marriage, not that many Hilda Keats about and I know that the man she married was a widower, just need to trace him back now.................. its all good fun

Many thanks again for your help, saved me hours of trawling through the BMD records

Margaret

Offline RELATIVE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
George Boulton was my grandfather. Hilda Keats was his second wife. She was originally the family housekeeper who looked after my mother May and her sister Wyn.

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 09 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Relative

Hilda Boulton, nee Keats was my grandfathers second wife.  Do you have any details about her or George that you could share? Her "previous" life was something of a mystery to us in the Jones family

Many thanks, look forward to hearing from you, welcome to "speak" to me via a previate message if you wish

Margaret

Offline RELATIVE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret
I was told that Hilda Keats lived with her father at Endon Hall. They were quite a well off family. Hilda was a lovely lady, very arty, put me in mind of Isadora Duncan. She had studied Art in Glasgow and brought with her a very feminine touch to the Victorian House in Endon where my widowed grandfather lived with his two daughters. Initially she worked as a housekeeper but later married George who was considerably older than her. She nursed him through his final years. She always said that she was related to the poet Keats. Perhaps that is something you could look into.  I have photographs of the family and I think a wedding photograph when she married her Welsh farmer.
Hope that is helping you build a picture. These are my first messages on RootsChat. I entered the site by accident. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 09 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the reply. The Welsh Farmer was my grandfather (my dad's dad). Hilda was his second wife, I probably have the same group wedding photo,perhaps you can put some names to faces for me.  We have no idea how my grandfather met Hilda as he had been widowed for some years and lived in Dyserth, North Wales ~ how did he and Hilda meet??  I have researche dHilda's family and I know that they are NOT related to Keats, in fact at the wedding of my Taid (welsh for grandfather) and Hilda, my mu, sat next to one of Hilda's sisters who told her that it was just something that the girls had made up at school to make themselves seem important!!

Please find wedding photo attached, my mum is the lady immediately behind the groom (Alfred Jones) and my dad is behind mum.  If you can put names to faces that would be helpful. Family pictures would be fanastic if you can sned them ~ ((*), it might be easier)

Do you have any details on the date of death of your grandfather George?  Am i right in that your mothers mother was Gertrude (nee Ship) who died in 1930 aged just 28?  Do you know where she was born??

Many thanks for your help, nice to be in contact
Margaret

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline kitty2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 May 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,  I have only just seen your search.  My step-father was Bernard Keats, Hilda's sister.  His father was certainly Mountford.  I have just seen a photo of a wedding and my step-sister, whom I haven;t heard of for 45 years is on it.  She was standing next to the groom and her maiden name was also Hilda Keats, married name Glowniak, the man with the bald head.

Would be interested to know if you have any information on John, known as Jack Keats, Hilda's brother.

Kitty2 

Offline RELATIVE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 May 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
My mother May is standing between the priest and Frank Glowniak on thr front row. My Aunt Wyn, who is still alive, is standing behind Hilda's left shoulder. Their mother Gertrude Ship did die when the sisters were quite young, hence Hilda being employed as a housekeeper