Author Topic: John Dickson Family of Kirkpatrick Durham  (Read 20857 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Dickson Family of Kirkpatrick Durham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 January 09 20:29 GMT (UK) »
So far, I can't see a relationship between the elder Joseph b.c. 1738 and the Matthew Dickson on John's death cert of 1889. 

Sorry - eyes hurting so will call it a day and see what I can find tomorrow.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CA_Linda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking Grandma's DICKSONs in Kirkpatrick Durham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 January 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gadget,

Oh my goodness! 

That is my Joseph Dickson who died in Macoupin County, Illinois!  I am not familiar with MIs ... what are the MIs? 

I know where Joseph Dickson and his wife, Margaret Derby are buried, however it is an abandoned cemetery in Macoupin County, Illinois.  Two of Margaret's grandchildren are also buried in the cemetery (children of William Welsh & Jane Chisholm) Jane is also buried in the abandoned cemetery.  After William Welsh's wife died, he remarrried and moved to Missouri.

I am so overwhelmed by your help in finding my Dickson family in Scotland.  I don't know what more to say other than Thank you so very much!!!

Linda R.F. Arnold
Menifee, California

DICKSON of Kirkcudbrightshire
DERBY of Kirkcudbrightshire
KIRKPATRICK d. Knockwalloch, Kirkcudbrightshire
WELSH of Kirkcudbrightshire & Dumfries
TOSH of Who-knows-where

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 January 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

Sorry - I reverted to jargon  :-[

MIs are Monumental Inscriptions - tombstone inscriptions . In Scotland before Jan 1855, when official registration of BMDs started, burials/deaths were not recorded systematically in parish records (some are available for some parishes but are not yet online). The best source for burials is therefore MIs. This is limited, of course, because not all families could afford a headstone.

It seemed a fairly common habit to record deaths of ancestors/relatives who died away from the parish. In your case, your Joseph and Margaret are inscribed on the tombstone in Kirkpatrick Durham Kirkyard.

I was at that Kirkyard about 18 months ago. It is set up in the moorlands accessed via many twisty  rural lanes   :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 January 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Photo of Kirkpatrick Durham Kirk and kirkyard on this page:

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal/ndx-3.htm

I'll continue looking for your family , including the Darbys, tomorrow  :)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

I'm not getting very much at all on Margaret Derby/Darby/ie . I've found a couple of baptisms in Lanarkshire but nothing that 'rings true'. Also, I've had a look on the 1841 census using Derby/Darby and also the versions ending -ie. There is an interesting family (as Derby) in Buittle that might be worth looking at.

I know you have access to all the censuses so have not typed them out.

Regards

Gadget

Offline CA_Linda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning, Gadget

The 1841 census indicated Margaret (Derby) Welsh-Dickson was born in Kirkcudbrightshire but I have found very few Derbys in Scotland.  I will take a look at the interesting family you mention.

Thanks again for all you are doing.

Linda

Hi Linda

I'm not getting very much at all on Margaret Derby/Darby/ie . I've found a couple of baptisms in Lanarkshire but nothing that 'rings true'. Also, I've had a look on the 1841 census using Derby/Darby and also the versions ending -ie. There is an interesting family (as Derby) in Buittle that might be worth looking at.

I know you have access to all the censuses so have not typed them out.

Regards

Gadget
TOSH of Who-knows-where

Offline MrsL

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 July 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
I found this thread whilst searching for information on Kirkpatrick Durham. I'm delighted to find it, I was brought up for the formative years in the village.  There was a family of Dicksons at Springholm, many of whom I wnet to school with, both in KPD and Springholm (when KPD shut). I'm not sure of the father's name, but I can picture the hosue they lived in at the end of the village of Springholm, just off the main road.  They had quite a large family, the children were
I have managed to get hold of a copy of The Book of Kirkpatrick Durham, so will have a look through and see if I can turn anything up for you.

I'd love to think they are relatives/descendants of yours.

Edited to remove names I shouldn't have put in there, possible  ID - sorry.
Hunter;Sykes

Offline CA_Linda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 July 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
What a wonderful surprise to see the notification in my e-mail this morning of your posting. 

I would love to hear more of the Dicksons who you knew in Springholm.  When I found my Joseph and Margaret Dickson and their daughter, Helen in the 1841 census, there was at least one or two other Dickson families listed in Springholm.  Helen is my 2nd Great-Grandmother and when they came to America, her name changed to Ellen. 

I am so thrilled that you posted your message and cannot wait to hear what more you can tell me.  I would love to be able to find cousins still living in Scotland.

Last January, Gadget posted the following:
Kirkpatrick Durham MIs

Joseph Dickson died 3 March 1827, aged 91
wife Hellen Kirkpatrick d. Knockwalloch 1 March 1819 aged 68
son Joseph died Macaupin Illinois N.America 19 Sept 1842 aged 59
  wife Margaret Derby died same place 17 October 1845
Elizabeth Dickson died 1 July 1854 aged 80
husband Robert Gregan died 19 Jan 1861 aged 81
Minnie Dickson died Burnside of Glenroan 4 Jan 1875 aged 78

Joseph and Margaret (Derby) Dickson are buried in Macoupin County, Illinois in an abandoned cemetery.  I am planning to go to Illinois in September and several people whom I have never met are going to take me to the cemetery which requires at least a mile or so walk through a farm field. 

How exciting!  And thank you so much...this is so overwhelming because I have searched or wondered about my Grandma's grandmother since I was a child. 

Linda R.F. Arnold
Menifee, California U.S.A.

TOSH of Who-knows-where

Offline MrsL

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 July 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
I'll see what I can find out for you; will ask my mother, who still lives in Sclotland, if she can remember the father's name, I have a notion it is/was William.
I am hoping to get back up there later this year/early next year, and will be visiting the cemetery, would be happy to take photos for you if you like. I have the names of the  children, also a school photo, but wasn't sure about posting the names up here as they are still living.
Will keep in touch :)
Hunter;Sykes