Author Topic: John Dickson Family of Kirkpatrick Durham  (Read 20861 times)

Offline CA_Linda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking Grandma's DICKSONs in Kirkpatrick Durham
    • View Profile
John Dickson Family of Kirkpatrick Durham
« on: Thursday 22 January 09 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I am new member to this forum and this is my first post.

I am trying to locate anyone who might know of the family in the photograph.  They are John Dickson of Kirkpatrick Durham and his wife, Elizabeth (Scott) and their daughter, Elizabeth Scott Dickson.

My grandmother's mother was Ellen/Helen Dickson, listed in 1841 Census in Springholm as Helen Dickson.  Sometime after the census was taken, she and her parents (Joseph Dickson & Margaret Derby) came to Macoupin County, Illinois where her father died the Summer of 1842.  Her mother died in 1845.  Her name was Ellen Dickson when she married 1844 in Illinois to James Miller Lair.

One of her grandsons, Carl C. Carter, was corresponding with cousins of Ellen (Helen) Dickson, about 1900-1905, John Dickson and family were living in Dumfries at this time.

A postcard (undated) with a photograph of the daughter, Elizabeth Scott Dickson gave her address as 109 King Street, Castle Douglas.  It appears she (the daughter) was much older than in the photograph at that time.

I have searched the 1841-1901 census and IGI marriage & christening extractions and have presummed this is the family of this John Dickson & family in the photograph:

John Dickson, Shoemaker, born abt. 1816-1818 Kirkpatrick Durham.  He probably died between 1881-1891.  He married, 28 Dec 1838 Urr, Kirkcudbrightshire, Mary Kimin (spelling?) who was born abt. 1817-1823 Urr, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Their children:
1. Jean/Jane Dickson b. abt. 1840 Kirkpatrick Durham (no further info) except that she was last listed in the household, 1851.

2. John Dickson, also a shoemaker/bootmaker (of the photograph) b. abt. 1842 Kirkpatrick Durham.  The 1871 census lists him in the household of Mary Reid in Dalbeattie. 
He married 1 Aug 1873 Colvend, Kirkcudbrightshire, Elizabeth Scott b. about 1853 Kirkgunzeon.

They had two daughters:  Mary Lousia Dickson b. 3 June 1874 Dalbeattie--apparently died before 1881 cenus and Elizabeth Scott Dickson (called Lizzie S. Dickson in census) b. abt. 1881 Urr.  (she would be the daughter in the photograph.

3. Mary Dickson b. abt 1847-1848 Kirkpatrick Durham.  1881 census indicates she had two children:  Mary L. Dickson b. abt. 1875 Urr and John James Dickson b. abt. 1880 Urr.

4. Jannet/Janet "Jessie"  Dickson b. about 1849-1850 Kirkpatrick Durham.  She was visiting in the 1881 census and had a child, Mary Jane Dickson b. about 1879 England.

When Carl C. Carter was corresponding with John Dickson of Dalbeattie (1900-1905) he said his sister lived in Castle Douglas--no name given.

It appears to me, my Joseph Dickson may have been a brother to the elder John Dickson.  Joseph's wife, Margaret Derby was married 1st to William Welsh who died 1815.  She had a son, William Welsh born about 18 months prior to his father's death.  The reason Joseph Dickson and his wife, Margaret and daughter Helen/Ellen came to America was because her son, William Welsh was living in Macoupin County, Illinois when they arrived ca. 1841-1842.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Linda R.F. Arnold
Menifee, California

DICKSON of Kirkcudbrightshire
DERBY of Kirkcudbrightshire
KIRKPATRICK d. Knockwalloch, Kirkcudbrightshire
WELSH of Kirkcudbrightshire & Dumfries
TOSH of Who-knows-where

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Dickson Family of Kirkpatrick Durham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

As a starter, here's a photo of King Strreet, Castle Douglas:

THe names are familiar - I'm sure someone else here is looking for the same family. I'll do some checks and get back to you.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 January 09 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Have you checked on the Scotland's People site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  It's a pay to view site where you need to register and buy credits (in £6 units = 30 credits)  You would be able to view and download relevant birth, marriage and death certs which would give information on the family who remained.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline CA_Linda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 January 09 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your prompt replies.  I have looked at Scotlands People site but have not yet registered to view the records.  I thought I would try this forum first.  And thank for the the photo of King Street.

I have heard about my Scottish Great-Great Grandmother since I was about ten years old but never knew much about her other than she married in Illinois until recent found information.

Linda R.F. Arnold
Menifee, California
TOSH of Who-knows-where

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 January 09 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

John Dickson, shoemaker,  (married to Mary Kimm) died at Springholm, Urr on July 11 1889 aged 73. His parents were Matthew Dickson (? stonewall* labourer) and Sarah, maiden surname Rae, both deceased . John Dickson, his son was the informant.

This is from the image of the death entry available on the Scotlands People site that I referred to.  I've used some of my units to show you what you can find on there. Unless you go to one of the large Scottish Records Offices or the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, it is the only way to obtain full BMD information from 1855.

Regards

Gadget

* added - having looked at it again it is General labourer - my eyes are playing tricks at the moment  ::)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 January 09 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I have the MIs for Kirkcudbrightshire parishes and will check them out for you later this evening  :)

Gadget

Offline CA_Linda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 January 09 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Gadget:

Oh, Thank You so much!  You have given me more to go on.  This is my first experience "jumping the ocean" although I have been doing genealogical research over 30 years.  The Dicksons are my only attempt at research outside of the United States.

I have full-bore membership to Ancestry.com until July 2009 -- if there is anything you want me to look up I am more than happy to do so.  You have given me something to go on.

Thanks again!

Linda R.F. Arnold
Menifee, California

Hi again

John Dickson, shoemaker,  (married to Mary Kimm) died at Springholm, Urr on July 11 1889 aged 73. His parents were Matthew Dickson (? stonewall labourer) and Sarah, maiden surname Rae, both deceased . John Dickson, his son was the informant.

This is from the image of the death entry available on the Scotlands People site that I referred to.  I've used some of my units to show you what you can find on there. Unless you go to one of the large Scottish Records Offices or the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, it is the only way to obtain full BMD information from 1855.

Regards

Gadget
TOSH of Who-knows-where

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 January 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Linda

Not sure if you've seen this:

Kirkpatrick Durham MIs

Joseph Dickson died 3 March 1827, aged 91
wife Hellen Kirkpatrick d. Knockwalloch 1 March 1819 aged 68
son Joseph died Macaupin Illinois N.America 19 Sept 1842 aged 59
  wife Margaret Derby died same place 17 October 1845
Elizabeth Dickson died 1 July 1854 aged 80
husband Robert Gregan died 19 Jan 1861 aged 81
Minnie Dickson died Burnside of Glenroan 4 Jan 1875 aged 78

I'll PM you now you've got some posts so that I can send you the death cert  :)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 January 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Trying to work out the relationship between the Elizabeth and Minnie on the MI and your Joseph. I've got the death of Minnie (Mina)in 1875  and it shows her as having Joseph Dickson and Helen Kirkpatrick as parents, so she was Joseph (Helen/Ellen)'s father's sister. I assume that Elizabeth was as well although no info.   Father, Joseph, is given as a farmer on this death cert.

Mina's son (she died unmarried) was the informant . His name was Joseph Little.

Gadget