Author Topic: HARRIS (Essex) Family Bible,  (Read 42081 times)

Offline Kayelesley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIS (Essex) Family Bible,
« Reply #72 on: Friday 26 September 14 19:43 BST (UK) »
To continue from my previous posting, and to make 3 postings in total Authur Mayhew and Eliza Harris (Eliza born from Lucy Turner and Joseph Harris) are my 2nd great grandparents.

Offline Kayelesley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 26 September 14 20:09 BST (UK) »
And to make my third post my family that I am chasing Eliza Harris and Auther Mayhew b 1842 and married 10 oct 1863.

I have seen my family bible that gives the wedding date of Arthur and Eliza on this date. So that is right. When I look at the census of 1871 it gives the birthplace of Eliza as Feering, Essex and not Coggeshall. There is another Eliza Harris born in Feering in 1843 which I thought was my Eliza. But I have read here that Eliza Harris married to Arthur Mayhew was born in Coggeshall. Therefore I am enquiring for any information that could help me sort this out.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 27 September 14 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Kayelesley,

Not sure why but I haven't received previous Rootschat notification of your posts on this topic, this one you posted today is the first I've received notification of.

Eliza Harris daughter of Joseph Harris and his wife Lucy Turner was baptised 7 March 1841 at Great Coggeshall, St Peter ad Vincular, C of E Church.

My record of Eliza's marriage to Arthur Mayhew shows the date simply as Dec 1863, this makes me think that I got that reference from Free BMD marriage certificate index, which therefore would see the marriage registered in the Dec quarter of 1863.  If as I think I got the details from Free BMD then that's where the reference to the groom being Arthur Mayhew would come from.

I will check it out in a while

I think I might be able to confirm the date and place if it's a Coggeshall marriage, after I've got a couple of chores done I'll check it out and post the details here.  I'll reply to your PM a little later in the day.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 27 September 14 01:40 BST (UK) »
10 Oct 1863
Kelvedon

Arthur Mayhew, of full age, single man, labourer, of this parish, son of James, labourer
Eliza Harris, 20 years, of this parish, daughter of William, sawyer

both signed, witnesses James Mayhew, Mary Ann (x) Mayhew

From the original on Seax, the date and place are on familysearch.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 27 September 14 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kayelesley,

Well having had time for my brain to catch up with the rest of me I'm pretty sure that the info regarding Eliza Harris marrying an Arthur Mayhew came from my mother who of course would in turn have heard it from her mother, I can't be 100% sure but I'm pretty confident that where the names came from.  As for the date Dec (quarter) 1863, that I would have sourced from Free BMD, I noted that you quoted Oct 1863, how did you narrow the month down to October? 

I did go to the Coggeshall Museum's online Marriage Transcripts to check the marriage forgetting that it only covers to 1851 so no help there. 

Joseph Harris husband of Lucy Turner was a Miller. if Eliza and Arthur's marriages certificate shows her father's name as Joseph and his occupation a Miller, that would be proof enough, I feel, that Eliza wife of Arthur is the daughter of Joseph and Lucy Harris. 

You could of course search the Coggeshall marriages in the Essex Records Office's online Essex Ancestors but I'm not sure whether the Coggeshall Parish Marriage Register would give you as much pertinent info as the marriage certificate.

Regards.   

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 27 September 14 02:32 BST (UK) »
You could of course search the Coggeshall marriages in the Essex Records Office's online Essex Ancestors but I'm not sure whether the Coggeshall Parish Marriage Register would give you as much pertinent info as the marriage certificate.

It will provide the same information as the GRO marriage certificate because the GRO entry is a copy of the one from the parish register.

Joseph Harris husband of Lucy Turner was a Miller. if Eliza and Arthur's marriages certificate shows her father's name as Joseph and his occupation a Miller, that would be proof enough, I feel, that Eliza wife of Arthur is the daughter of Joseph and Lucy Harris. 

If you see my previous post, Eliza wife of Arthur Mayhew's father was William NOT Joseph as per the details from SEAX.

Obviously if you doubt my accuracy, I suggest viewing the original on SEAX. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 27 September 14 02:38 BST (UK) »
Oops, I should have read Smudwhisk's reply before I posted my reply, thanks for that info Smudwhisk, I'll delete Arthur from my Records.

Looks like my memory played tricks with me, must have got the marriage info from a contact some time.

The fact that Coggeshall was also in the Witham Registry District didn't help.

Thanks also to Kayelesley for bringing the marriage up otherwise I might not have corrected the error, fortunately in my tree Eliza Harris is only a sibling of an ancestor so the marriage error is an annoyance not a disaster.  ;D

Regards.