Author Topic: George & Joseph PEARCE/PEARSE  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Maxn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George & Joseph PEARCE/PEARSE
« on: Saturday 24 January 09 03:28 GMT (UK) »
The abovenamed brothers were charges in the St Albans, Quarter Sessions 8th Jan 1836 and subsequently transported to VDL, 14th July 1836 on board " Lady Nugent".
If anyone has access to the records of these two fellows, in particular, the Records of Trial and other personal details I would very much appreciate copies.
As I understand it some details may be included in a publication of " Transported Beyond the Seas" by Ken Griffin and this may provide the above info or at least some.
Regards, Maxn

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George and Joseph Pearce ( or Pearse)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 January 09 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maxn,

All of the details you have given in your posting are included in the publication.  Their case is not listed with those that were subject to a more detailed research.

Regards   ...  Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maxn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George and Joseph Pearce ( or Pearse)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 January 09 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Peter.
Regards, Max

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George & Joseph PEARCE/PEARSE
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max,

I made a quick call at the Hertfordshire Record Office and found an entry in the St.Albans Sessions Diary, committing the two men to the St.Albans Gaol for larceny and to stand trial at the Sessions.  I will make a further visit to see if I can locate details of the trial.
I trawled the baptism registers for both St.Albans Abbey and St.Peters for the period 1800-1821 and think I have put together a PEARCE family with Joseph and Sarah as parents  -
Abbey - 20Feb1803 Thomas,  21Oct1804 Sarah,  15May1808 Elizabeth, 26Jan1812 William,  21Nov1813 Hannah, 10Sep1815 Joseph  and at St.Peters - 25Sep1817 George.  20Feb1820 Susan, 21Sep1821 Jane.
Also the marriage of Joseph  PEARCE and Sarah  WRIGHT at St.Peters on 10Oct1802  and the burial of Joseph PEARCE age 48 on 18Aug1833 at St.Peters.
I could go on, but perhaps you will say whether you have any family info to indicate whether or not I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Rewgards   ...   Peter

Offline Maxn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 January 09 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Peter. I must thank you for this information which would appear to just what I have been looking for for the last couple of years. With the records as they are George Pearce who married another convict, Mary Swan, in VDL (Tasmania) was recorded on their marriage Certificate as being "free", and indeed he was but after his period of sentence had expired. This had escaped me in my earlier research and the information coming to Hand now would certainly indicate that this is my "family".
George clearly was a bit of a rascal as he was acquitted for being an accessory after the fact to murder in a Tasmanian trial of the bushrangers, "Jeff's and Conway".
Much obliged for your help and needless to say if you were able to get a copy of the transcript of the brothers trial at St Albans I would be most greatfull.
Kind regards, Max

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 January 09 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max,
Just a little bit more on you new found family.  The 1841 records Sarah age 55 living in Christophers Yard, St.Albans with Jane 17,  Elizabeth 13,  Ann 9, Sarah 6, Elizabeth 2, all born in county and Ann GURNEY, 30 not born in Herts. All employed as Plaiters. (Adult ages in this census rounded down to nearest 5) (HO107/447/5  F.41.  P34)  (Note: The name of the victim of the brothers crime was Joseph GURNEY, the same as the surname of the lady living with Sarah).
The two sons were recorded as  William 25 Ag lab, wife Elizabeth 25 Plaiter, Betsy 6 and Emma 4 at Privey Road, St.Albans (HO107/447/9  F.16.  P.26)  and Thomas 35 Ag lab, Sophia wife 35 Plaiter, Thomas 15,  Alfred 13,  Sarah 8, Joseph 5, Jesse 3 and George 2 at Catharine Lane, St.Albans (HO107/447/8  F.16.  P.25)

By 1851, William was a widower living with his brother Thomas in Sopwell Lane, St.Albans - Thomas 48 Lab,  Sophia wife 48,  Sarah 19, Joseph 15, Jesse 13, George 11, William brother 38 Wid Labourer, Emma neice 17 and Alfred g'son 7mths (Son of Sarah, baptised St.Albans Abbey 06Oct1850).  All children were Brazilian hat makers. 
A search has revealed four marriages -
23May1847  Hannah PEARCE ~ William Wilson   St.Albans
25Dec1821  Thomas PEARCE  of St.Peters ~  Sophia HILL  St.Albans St.Michael.
10Apr1831  William PEARCE ~ Elizabeth BIGGS  St.Peters
10Feb1827 Ann PEARCE ~  Samuel GURNEY  St. Peters
The last entry is the third link I have found between the PEARCE and GURNEY surnames.
Shall I go on?.

Regards   ...   Peter

Offline Aviroot

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 February 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maxn, Peter Cornish has put me in touch with you on Rootschat as he has recently found that I have an interest in the Pearce family.  My connection is with the sister, Hannah Pearce, who married my gt. gt. grandfather, William Wilson.  I have quite a lot of history about her but it has been a struggle to find.  The information on this site has been great for me and should you wish to gather more info from me, please send me a message.  I tried to send you a personal message but could not find the correct place.  I hope to hear from you.  All the best, Christine.

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Keep clicking on this thread because I have a large family of Pearce's in St Albans at the same time as yours, many of whom were in the plaiting/straw hat trade.  Can't find a connection yet, but I will keep looking  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 March 09 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max,

I searched the St.Albans Assizes records but regret no trace of any documents for the Pearce brothers.

Regards   ...   Peter