Author Topic: Pentrefelin / Defynnog nr Brecon : Local knowledge please  (Read 23469 times)

Offline garfydd

• I am sorry but my email address has been disabled
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pentrefelin / Defynnog nr Brecon : Local knowledge please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 October 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
anwyl rebel
I have a reconstrudtion for Dd.Walter Powell=Margaret Powell at Ystradgynlais Church had 4 daughters chr.=Margaret F.1803, Ann N.22,1808, Gwenllian May 1805(buried 1808 & appears on her paternal gd.parents M.I. at Defynog P.Ch.)  Where do you get the Elizabeth from? Dd.W.P. claimed Abersenni(from memory) at the Great Forest of Brecon trial 1819. He is easy to trace back into the C18th-parents & gd.parents. I cannot find him after 1819-you say New Hall, which one & where. The bulk of my research is done from primary sources. I live abroad in Staffs., England.
Garfydd.

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 October 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hallo again Garfydd,

thanks for getting back to me.

Firstly : Elizabeth is named as second daughter on the Powell pedigree printed in the history of Brecon by Theosophilus Jones.Also ,she marries first time by licence as dau of DWP.Also,second marriage announcement as dau of DWP of Abersenny in The Cambrian in 1836 or 1837.

Second : Gwenllian...some confusion here.Perhaps they named a subsequent child Gwenllian.The Gwenllian I have was born circa 1818 and seems to have lived with her mother most of her life.
 You say a  first Gwenllian is mentioned on her paternal grandparents headstone....what is the rest of the transcription ? I only have their date of marriage,nothing else.I have the transcription of both David and Margaret Powell (he d 1802) and their second son Walter Powell (d 1824) but not this one.

3: Have you a date for the marriage of dwp to Margaret ? Or when he was born ? And was he really an only child as the pedigree suggests?

And 4 :I think I made a mistake with New Hall. I just checked a few things and it appears to be Little Hall.
I have several mentions of it as DWPs abode,mostly around 1808 til 1819....for example from the online Mayberry records and Wynne-Jones'  history of Wesleyan methodists.
Incidentally,where is the Methodist chapel at Devynog ? long gone ? and its records ?

And the birth records of the 4 daus....the F after Margaret and N after Ann....are they intials of a 2nd name ? but then what does the 22 mean ? were they baptised at Ystradglynlais ?

I hate to ask so many questions but I've been trying to deal with this family for such a long time,with very little result . I too live abroad..albeit a little further than Staffs!...and am solely reliant on internet sources and the goodwill of people like yourself who share their knowledge.

many thanks
Rebel

Offline garfydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
anwyl cockney rebel,
I do all emails etc in my local library. 1,2,etc=your first, second etc
1. who does Elizabeth marry?
2. where do you get the Gwen bo. 1818? where do the live?
3. the marriage in first line of my last "letter" DWP=M.P., Ystradgynlais, she of a "prestigious" Callwen family. Cannot find another child but will have another look.= is an abbreviation for married(used since at leastC18th.).
4. Little Hall-where is it. The chr. records(1820-1837 only) for the C.M. chapel are in the "National Archive" and on Mormon film.  The chapel has now been demolished. One in LlandeiloFawr parish, Carmarthenshire.
F.=Feb.N.=Nov.22nd.,1808( the christening date in Church)
Garfydd

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 October 11 17:23 BST (UK) »
hallo Garfydd

Sorry for my slow reply...was away in the mountains with no access to the internet.

Thankyou for clearing me up on the christenings.

Elizabeth Powell married   i) Henry Ridley     1824 Llywel
                                          ii) James Thomas 1837  Roath

and she died 1850.registered Westbury,Glos.

The daughter Gwenllian b about 1818 appears on the censuses 1841 1851 1861 with her mother Margaret. Gwenllian never married and died 1892 Swansea.Her birth year has been calculated from ages given at these points.
I'm a little confused ( as so often) about Margaret Powell being of the "prestigious Callwen family".
I presume Callwen is a place and NOT a name ? (forgive my ignorance)
I have her as a daughter of Howel Powel of Glynllech which I think is Ystradglynlais.How would Callwen fit in ??

You say that the family of David Walter Powell is easy to trace back into the 18th century...well,in some ways yes,but I am missing all sorts of critical information.
I'm stuck on the death/burial of David Powell , father of DWP.He was born in 1746 married 1778 .There is a Defynog mem.inscription regarding his wife and Gwenllian their g'dau....but what happenend to him ? I can find no reference anywhere. Maybe you have something ?

They appear to be a well documented family,but it's alslo very difficult when the different lines still all bear the same names !

Rebel

Offline garfydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
rebel,
Quick reply.  Shuold have not said Callwen=the parish N. of Ystradgynlais Upper(yours). Both the Glynllechs are described in the Buildings of Brecs. in the Journal Brycheiniog.

Offline Erylpowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 October 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
Diolch Garfydd, Allen Powell of Criccieth is my dad and we are still stuck on this!
Will keep looking, thank you for the advice!
Eryl