Author Topic: How to successfully search the Irish BMD site?  (Read 19270 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: How to successfully search the Irish BMD site?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 January 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
PPS number is the revenue reference number that every Irish resident has for taxation purposes.

When I am in the GRO I get the register photocopy - this gives you a copy from the actual page of the register, and I believe this is the cheaper option.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 January 09 15:00 GMT (UK) »
just marking as I had loads of problems yesterday trying to search.. even for known dates and places.

fingers crossed it will get easier

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 26 January 09 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Well, I am baffled by it! Tried finding some births, but they don't appear unless 'all events' are specified. To test it,
I've searched for several marriages that I know are registered, for I bought the certs from the records office in Dublin, but a search for them produces no results.

I've tried using the widest search parameter, but then up come 4700 results, mostly from the USA, despite having 'Dublin, Ireland' selected!

I expect it is just teething problems......and that in a few days all will be well.

Offline luimneach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 26 January 09 15:22 GMT (UK) »
This LDS site is free.It gives an index to BMDs.Someone referred to images-these contain just the name of the child.To access any other details one must order a copy of cert from GRO.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 26 January 09 15:44 GMT (UK) »
If I could find the right index reference I would be a happy bunny :D

oh well, teething trouble I expect.

I'm hoping someone will crack the technique and post it here so that we can all get to grips with it. 

I also know many of the early births are not registered, got a nasty  feeling most of mine have fallen into this category.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 26 January 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
This LDS site is free.It gives an index to BMDs.Someone referred to images-these contain just the name of the child.To access any other details one must order a copy of cert from GRO.

IGI has some, not all, Irish births from civil registrations 1864-c1882 but you need to watch out for the way they've put some of the registration districts- some Ballymoney, Co. Antrim births are listed as Ballymoney, Cork, Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 26 January 09 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I've had more luck if I first get the 4700 results as Leofric mentioned- then across the top of the page in blue- narrow it down section by section.

Firstly I did narrow by place- in my case Co Clare.
Then narrow by date,you tick a box or two.

Despite the fact that you go into the site under Irish BMD's you initially get thousands of American results Hmmm  ::)

Carol

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline luimneach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 26 January 09 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowney
I was not referring to the IGI but to the new free access on familysearch site to index to all Irish BMDs.It gives births up to 1958.There appear to be a few teething problems as it is a pilot project,but in general it's complete.GRO reference numbers are given with each record.

Offline blodwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Colin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 26 January 09 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Everyone,

I have just come across this post and have read through all postings as I also had problems going through the search procedure.

Now all I have to do is find my gg-grandmother, who had  difficulty in proving that she was born in Carrickmacross, Monoghan when putting in for her state pension in England.  Maybe I will have more luck  ;D 

Thanks to the detailed  step-by-step procedure I can at least now search the right area.

Viv

Thanks to all
Gywnedd/Caernarvonshire: Roberts, Evans;
Glamorganshire: Griffiths, Thomas;
Middlesex: Sibley, Barnett;
Beds: Sibley
Kent: Jury, Hunt;
Yorkshire/Middlesbrough: Wright, Sullivan;
Irleand/Cork: Donovan, Sullivan;
Northern Ireland (Monaghan): Keefe;

Census information is crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk