Author Topic: Quarriers home's child  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Riddell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quarriers home's child
« on: Sunday 25 January 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, not sure anyone can help me. About five years ago I was able to locate where my grandmother and her three sisters came from in Scotland, which was Quarriers. Now all I need to find is my who my grandmother's dad was, which I think is going to be a little bit of a task. Maybe someone out there might recognize the names and maybe even be a relative. Her name was Lily Cunningham born  Jan 18, 1889 time 2:50 Wilson Land Cross C (G)ates Bellshill Reg. Feb 11/1889 #240330-16E Edinburgh. My grandmothers mom was Agnes Cunningham a milkmaid at the time. Agnes had two other children Margaret  who was born 1884, parent may or may not of been a weir or a James Donald who Agnes did take to court to get support for. Then Elizabeth  who was born  in 1887, she to like Lily were born illegitimate. I believe Agnes mom and dad were John and Elizabeth Cunningham. Agnes apparently married a John Weir in 1875, he may of later taken off to Mexico. If anyone knows of who my grandmother's dad might be, or any information that might be helpful to me, I would appreciate it. Also my grandmother and her sister Margaret came across to Canada in 1896 from Quarriers, and it is also my understanding, their sister Elizabeth Cunningham stayed because her dad kept her.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Cunningham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 09 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Riddell

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just as background this seems to be the 1891 census entry for Lily with sisters, as trascribed:

John Cunningham 60, fish hawker, b. Lanarksir, Monkland
Elizabeth Cunningham 56, b. Linlithgow, Livingston
Margaret Cunningham 7, b. Bothwell
Elizabeth Cunningham 4, b Lanark, Hannllon (Hamilton?)
Ally Cunningham 2, b. Bothwell

Address: Crossgates Wilsons Land, Bothwell Lanarkshire

Two initial thoughts for you:

Have you tried checking what records may remain from the Quarrier Home on the girls. These can often include a lot of personal information on the family and the details of them being sent abroad. I think that if there are records to be found, a full report is around £25. I think you can check first whether they have any relevant records.

www.quarriers.org.uk/
www.thereformation.info/quarrierhomes.htm

Also, in the period leading to them being sent to the Quarrier Home, I wonder if an application for Poor Relief was made by the family? These records are only available for personal searches at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. Lanarkshire is a particularly good area to search for these types of records, some other counties destroyed these types of records over the years.

For some background on Poor Relief Records, have a look at this link to film which is a fantastic explanation of what Poor Relief records may contain:

www.scotlandontv.tv/scotland_on_tv/discover/Mitchell_Library_Scottish_Family_Research.html - If you view Part 5 and 6 which cover the Poor Relief records.

Hopefully other people may be able to make some other suggestions.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Riddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 January 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, no I don't believe that is them, Margaret was 13 at the time and Lily was 8 when they came across to Canada. Five years ago I emailed Quarriers, they sent me information regarding the sisters. I assumed then, if there was any other information they would of sent me that as well, although if my memory serves me correctly I don't think I asked about the dad's at that time. I have a feeling its going to be difficult to find Lily's dad. Thank you for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it. Take care.

Offline Riddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 January 09 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Monica, I meant to ask, am I able to access information from Mitchells library online? I live in Canada. Thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 January 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
The above 1891 census matches what you have Riddell in all details: maternal grandparents' names, ages and names of sisters, and address for birth registration of Lily at Crossgates Wilson Land  :) Why don't you think it is their entry? Remember this is the 1891 census, so the ages showing are based on that year.

In respect of the Poor Relief records at the Mitchell, unfortunately nothing available on line and requires a personal look up. Maybe someone could help you out next time they visit the Mitchell Library.

The Quarrier home records and possible poor relief records are the only two sources I can think of where you may be able to find some background on the girls and in particular any possibility of a name for Lily's father. It might be worthwhile contacting the Quarriers and asking the specific question whether such information would be held on Lily's records perhaps.

Monica  :)

Offline Riddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, I was thrown off by the name Ally, is that a name they could of used for Lily. So the top two names are their grandparents, I'm surprised it does'nt show their mom's name Agnes Cunningham as well. Agnes apparently married a John Weir in 1875, Agnes was born in 1856.. Sorry for the confusion, thank you again. Take care.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 January 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I've taken this from a transcription which is well known for its misses  ::) I am sure that the Ally is Lily, just the way the name has been transcribed. The original page is available to view on Scotlands People.

Monica

Offline Riddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Quarriers home's child
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 January 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, years ago my grandmother Lily Cunningham use to live at Quarriers home in Scotland along with her two other sister's. My grandmother was born Jan 18, 1889 time 2:50 Wilson Land Cross Gates Bellshill, the other sister was Margaret born 1884 then Elizabeth was born in 1887 like Lily they were both born illegitimate and I believe Margaret was as well. Their mom was Lizzie Craig whom I know very little about. Lily's dad was Richard Cunningham. Lily and Margaret came to Canada in 1896 from Quarriers, it is my understanding , their sister Elizabeth stayed because her dad kept her. I do not know what happened to Elizabeth not sure what her last name may of been at the time. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it. I am looking into doing the ancestry DNA, I have heard that some have been disappointed in the result's they have received back, here's hoping. Take care.

Riddell

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quarriers home's child
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 January 19 17:10 GMT (UK) »
You don't tell us your grandmother's name - was it Lily Craig? What was the surname of your grandmother & her sister at the Quarriers' Home?

Just so we don't waste time duplicating any research you have done, tell us what information from documents you have. How were any of the sisters' births registered? Do you have them on any censuses with their mother? Or of Elizabeth with her father? Is Richard named on Lily's birth certificate?

Is it mainly Elizabeth you seek information about? Or Lizzie Craig asd well?

ADDED: Have you done muxh searching on Scotlands People? It is the ONLY source of many Scottish documentation; a pay per view site with credits after registration.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON