Author Topic: John Nisbet - Agnes Shiels - Berwickshire or Lothians  (Read 11894 times)

Offline anndra

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Nisbet - Agnes Shiels - Berwickshire or Lothians
« on: Sunday 25 January 09 11:28 GMT (UK) »
I am having great difficulty tracing one of my 2ggrandfathers, John Nisbet, farmer, who had an illegitimate daughter with Agnes Shiels b. 1816, Fala & Soutra, Midlothian, to James Shiels and Euphemia Monteith. Agnes later married John Neilson at Pencaitland, East Lothian, in 1842 and had a further eight children.   
Euphemia was born c.1840, and is registered Nisbet age 1 on the 1841 census at Gladsmuir East Lothian, so it would appear that John Nisbet accepted paternity....or maybe not!
She was brought up by her Shiels grandparents then moved to a farm near Eyemouth with her uncle, Francis Shiels, as his housekeeper. She married Peter Dickson in Eyemouth in 1861.
There is a photograph (copy attached) in the family album annotated John Nisbet - Ayton, and although not dated it is of an elderly man which leads me to suppose that it is Euphemia's father since there does not appear to be any other Nisbet connection in the family. There is a John Nisbet, farmer, recorded in Ayton who is the right age but I am at a loss to see the connection with Agnes in Mid/East Lothian.
In the event that the photo is a red herring I have checked out all the John Nisbets in Mid/East Lothian and in Berwickshire but none appear any better a match.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Anndra
Black,Hutton,Lyle,Ayrshire; Dickson,Berwickshire; Haig,Leitch,Clazy,Harle,Berwickshire/Roxburghshire; Low/Lowe,McLagan,Millar,Mclauchlan,Stewart,Douglass, Perthshire; MacKenzie,McAngus,McRae,Skinner,Vass,Ross-shire; McDonald,Duff,Muir, Inverness-shire; Raff,Thomson,Riach, Moray; Shiels,Monteith, East/Midlothian; Meiklejohn,Turcan,Cumming,Nasmyth,Donald, Fife.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Nisbet - Agnes Shiels - Berwickshire or Lothians
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anndra,
Not much help but there was also a John Nisbet and family living in Gladsmuir parish, East Lothian! It was such a common name in Berwickshire too that it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack to try to link them up.
Another idea - could Agnes have been a domestic servant in Ayton area at one time and then gone home to have the baby?
Perhaps someoene else will have an idea.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline anndra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rae

There aren't a lot of John Nisbets in Berwickshire of the right age, or in the Lothians, but it's so tenuous it's frustrating. Pity I wasn't into FTs when my mother was alive as she probably knew chapter and verse.
I see that Colven is one of your areas of research. I have eighteen in my FT who are distant, but I have photographs of two of them.
Alison Colven 1821-1891 m. James Dickson 1826-1875
Margaret Colven 1840-1875 m. John Purves 1838-?
All Coldingham.
If they are of any interest drop me a PM and I will send them through to you.
Andrew
Black,Hutton,Lyle,Ayrshire; Dickson,Berwickshire; Haig,Leitch,Clazy,Harle,Berwickshire/Roxburghshire; Low/Lowe,McLagan,Millar,Mclauchlan,Stewart,Douglass, Perthshire; MacKenzie,McAngus,McRae,Skinner,Vass,Ross-shire; McDonald,Duff,Muir, Inverness-shire; Raff,Thomson,Riach, Moray; Shiels,Monteith, East/Midlothian; Meiklejohn,Turcan,Cumming,Nasmyth,Donald, Fife.

Offline Gala Lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Do you have the parents of your John Purves?
I have Agnes Shiel  B.1827?,James Welsh B. 1824 ?, Agnes Shiel Welsh B 1887 M William Tweedie 1912, John Nisbets B.1777 , Purves B.1831,. These were all in and around the
borders. Galashiels,Edrom,Sinclairshill,Hawick.
If these in anyone else's line any help would
be appreciated.
Thanks Gala Girl

Galashiels (Paterson, Purves, Tweedie, Shiel, Welsh,Shaw)
Sinclairshill (Paterson)
Coldingham(Nisbet,Robertson,Purves)
Hawick (Kerr,Straucher,Tweedie)
Aberdeen (Patterson,Tweedie, Brown,)
Bradford England (Driver,Longfellow, Banks,
Butler,Holland)
Patterson,Paterson, Purves and Robertson-Missouri, Kansas, California, Pennsylvania,New York
Inverness Harris South, (MacCuich,MacLennon)

Offline ellad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Euphemia Nisbet, the illegitimate daughter of John Nisbet and Agnes Shiells.  Euphemia married my great grandfather Peter Dickson, fishcurer in Eyemouth.
I was also unable to identify John Nisbet in Berwickshire, East Lothian or Midlothian.  But your photograph of John Nisbet, Ayton made me try Ayton parish again, and I believe it may be the John Nisbet, tenant of Ayton Mill and joiner/wright in Ayton, who died in 1880.  His inventory is recorded in Duns Sheriff Court SC60/41/33 in 1886, and mentions Peter Dickson as one of the debtors.  It's not proof, but it's worth further investigation.  Maybe someone else will have other clues?

Offline anndra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, John Nisbet of Ayton Mill has always been my bet for Euphemia's father.
There is a lot of circumstantial evidence to support this:
1. The photo in the family's possession.
2. Euphemia came to Eyemouth with her uncle Francis Shiels. He was Farm Steward at Highlaws Farm in 1881 and there were Nisbets there also.
3. Peter Dickson listed as Creditor in the Will Inventory of 1886. No Will recorded and death in 1880?
4. There were no twins in the Dickson or Shiels direct lines but there were in John Nisbets (several)
5. Euphemia named her daughter Alison, John's mother's name, in the proper place in the naming convention. No Alisons in Dickson or Shiels direct line.
The evidence against:
1. Geographical location of Agnes Shiels and John Nisbet.
2. John had three young children with Margaret Bell at the Time of Euphemia's birth.

It's a close call.........

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 09 10:54 BST (UK) »
You may already have this info.

In 1851 Ayton,Ayton Vill.
John Nisbet H M 43 Carpenter,3 men 2 app.  Bew.Ayton.
Margaret     W  M  42  Bew. Fogo.
and 8 children all born Ayton.

Ayton M.I. pre 1855 by David Cargill, also 1998 by Borders FHS.
10.  1882  Double Stone.
John Nisbet tenant, Ayton Mill d. 8/11/1880 72 yrs. and of Margaret Bell his wife  d.30/6/1882 74yrs.  First line.

1861 Eyemouth Bridgend, 1 room.
Peter Dickson  Lodger  U  26  Fishcurer (employing 1 man)  Bew. Coldingham.

There is a Euphemia Nisbet in 1861 Eyemouth age 20 b. Eyemouth, living Main St. West Side, but she is shown as daughter to Peter & Mary Nisbet.

1851 Coldingham Shore Vill.
William Dickson H  U  20  Cooper  Bew.Coldingham.
Mary        "        Sister  U  14  House Serv.  ".
Peter        "       Brother  U  16  Cooper        "

Also have family in 1841.

If your info. is correct, Peter's brother Robert married to a Catherine Spence, which ends up into the Aitchison line by marriage.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline anndra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 09 23:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Beckey
Yes I have that info.
Strange coincidence the Euphemia Nisbet born Eyemouth 1841, but not the Euphemia married to Peter Dickson.
Robert, Peter's brother, was married to Catherine Spence. I have photos of them if you are interested.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 August 09 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi anndra,

Thanks for the info. but no thanks, they are an offshoot from the Aitchison family and I could go on indefinetely looking for that side.

There were no Shiels in 1861 and the Farm seems to be called Linthill.

Got crossed somewhere.
1861 Highlaws Farm,Coldingham.
Francis Sheils H  U  36  Land Steward   E.Lothian,Bolton.
Euphemia Nisbet  Niece  U  21 Domestic  E.Lothian,Humbie.

Just in case you hadn't got them.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .