Author Topic: name explanation  (Read 1929 times)

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: name explanation
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes , I discovered on checking the records that he was given the name at birth . I also think the name has been wrongly spelt by the various recorders and should be Rhemis which is almost certainly an old name for Rheims . Still don't know why he was given the name . There is a suggestion from another post that Rhemis is a surname that has been found in Dundee . So will now be investigating that .

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Spelling of names is down to the minister at the time and the OPR's can show the same familiy with different spelling of surname

In your case the name could even be Remis

http://www.ancestry.com/facts/remis-family-history-uk.ashx

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I see from SP that Francis jnr's son was born in 1913

1913 HOOPER FRANCIS ALWIN R Male at  NEWINGTON EDINBURGH/MIDLOTHIAN

Was francis snr's father born in England?

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 00:59 GMT (UK) »
There are so many Francis Hoopers here I am losing track of my own family . The most senior Francis Hooper ( no middle names ) was born in Halifax in 1844 . His grandson , born in 1913 , was killed at Dunkirk and the War Graves Commission have his name as Francis Alwyn Rhemis Hooper and I think that is as accurate as it gets , so I think the spelling for his father is the same . I have googled Rhemis and variations and it is an old name for Rheims and also has some connection with a New Testament bible used by Catholics . I am curious to know how it became a family name . The most senior Francis Hooper was also a soldier but I don't think he was in France mid to late 19th Century .

Offline marie_rose

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Frank Hooper
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 July 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
I think this is ancestry we share -  my Great Grandfather and Great Uncle Frank snr and Alwyn jnr.  Interested to hear if your own research found out more about the POW/mason links.  My Nana (Daisy, Margaret Paterson Lindsay Hooper) was the sister of Francis Alwyn Rhemis Hooper jnr (Alwyn).  I was also very interested to see that you'd established Margaret Bain /widow Bell's husband and Frank had been in the Cameron Highlanders/79th Highlanders.