Author Topic: name explanation  (Read 2822 times)

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
name explanation
« on: Sunday 25 January 09 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor named Francis Alwyn Reimis Hooper ( the Reimis is as it appears on a death cert .) . He named his son Francis Alwyn Rhemis Hooper . Family legend has it that Francis senior was taken prisoner during WW1 and initially held at Rheims . He was a freemason as was one of his captors and in recognition of the help given to him as a prisoner he took on the name Rhemis which I think is an old spelling of Rheims . The family story I think is a bit doubtful , I can find no record of Francis as a POW . Anybody got any ideas about the name . There is no record of the name elsewhere in the family .
Mike

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: name explanation
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 09 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Have you asked on the Armed Forces board?

You'd need to provide info on which unit Francis was with.

Some dates etc might be helpful too - have you got documents relating to Francis senior - at what point does the name appear, or was it just the death cert?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 January 09 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked birth and marriage records?

Who did he marry and when?

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 January 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
He was born 4th June 1894 in the High Calton , Edinburgh and christened Francis Alwin Reimmes Bain or Bell , illigitimate . His mother was Margaret Bain and his father was Francis Hooper as Margarets husband Thomas Bell had to long before to be the father . Both Francis Hooper snr and Thomas Bell had been soldiers posted to the Queens Barracks Perth and Fort George , Ardesier , Inverness . They almost certainly new each other . Francis jnr married Margaret Lindsay on the 7th Feb 1912 in Edinburgh . His name on the wedding certificate is given as Francis Hooper . He died on the 15th August 1956 in Edinburgh and his name on the death cert. is given as Francis Alwyn Reimmes Hooper . On both the birth and death certs. the Reimmes is not 100% clear .

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
New thread here (in case anything helps)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,356223.0.html

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

I'm getting a little muddled here. Please tell me if i've got this right.

Francis Hooper (Snr) was in the Army, once stationed at Perth and Fort George.
He fathered a son by Margaret Bain in Edinburgh, June 1894.
This son was named Francis Alwin Reimmes Bain but later in life was known as Francis Hooper* (Francis Jr)
Francis Jr married in 1912 and died in 1856.

Which one is supposed to have been a POW?
Did Francis Snr also have these middle names and if so where are they recorded?

*This may have been due to Francis Hooper Snr marrying Margaret Bain in 1888 - there is a submitted entry on the IGI, and an index search of SP confirms the existence of a marriage of 2 people with those names. You'd have to check the cert. to be sure of course.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 19:17 GMT (UK) »
kirsty , Francis Hooper senior had no middle names that I know of . Because he was not married to Margaret Bain at the time of Francis jnrs birth Francis jnr was christened Francis Alwyn Reimmis Bain , it's recorded on the birth certificate with that spelling . I assume that after Francis snr married Margaret Bain Francis jnr assumed or was given the surname Hooper .It's given that way on his death certificate .  Francis jnr ( who was the POW ) also named his son Francis Alwyn Rhemis Hooper ( the spelling is as it is on his birth certificate ) . Francis jnr jnr died at Dunkirk in 1940 and his name on War Graves site is as spelt above . I know Rhemis is an old name for Rheims .

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 23:24 GMT (UK) »
The IGI has one record of the surname Rhemis, listing the father of a stillborn child as James Rhemis in 1834 Dundee.

Is there any chance that a branch of this family could be related? A grandmothers maiden name maybe or something that would not be immediately obvious?

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 23:35 GMT (UK) »
If he was born in 1894 and given the name Reimmes it would suggest the it has nothing to do with his father being a pow