19 (28.8%)
No
30 (45.5%)
Is it Local or
6 (9.1%)
In Area of Research
11 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: ARE YOU A MEMBER OF A FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY?  (Read 6703 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family History Society
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 September 04 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
When I began researching my family history I too was wondering it if would be worthwhile joining a society, most of my research (I thought at that time) was in Glamorgan, so I waited a while, looked at their website, and then joined.  I am so glad I did, the society produces a quarterly journal, as a member you can have free look ups of census (and very quickly too) and searches of the the parish registers.  Enquiries can also be made to the various branches for census etc.
I live in Berkshire so also can't attend meetings, but I did make a trip to the resource centre, and the people on duty that day were so helpful, and I discovered a great deal of missing information. (But Welsh Jen on this site has also been brilliant!).
Since then I have also joined Wiltshire FHS, and have made a trip to their resource centre - again the people I have met have been extremely knowledgeable and helpful.  I would definitely recommend joining a Society.

Newbie ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 September 04 11:56 BST (UK) »
I belong to 4 FHS and have done for some 15 years.  I did belong to another but forgot to renew. 
I have never been to any of the meetings but the journals are well worth it.  The articles are always interesting and I love to receive the magazines.  Some of the publications have been useful.  They usually have links to websites.  I don't buy other magazines except "Family Tree"

You should try the websites of the ones you are interested in.  Sometime they tell you what is in the magazine.  They usually have surname interests and list of publications.

It has been well worth the money over the years.

Sylviaann
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 September 04 21:52 BST (UK) »
Well!   I've had a look for the Leeds FHS, only to find that it is part of the Yorkshire Archaeological Society - the Archives of which appear to be open for use whether you are a member or not, and which at first glance appear very similar to those on offer at the wonderful Family History section of the Leeds Library.   The subscription year starts 1st Jan., so I have a couple of months to really get my head round whether I want to join or not (not that the subs would break the bank) - at the moment I am still dithering!

I really do appreciate all your comments and thank you for taking the time and trouble to let me have them.

Best wishes to you all.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 September 04 14:50 BST (UK) »
If you have Leeds ancestors have you looked at www.leodis.net      They have pictures of old Leeds.

Sylviaann
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 September 04 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have indeed Silviaann - in fact I put a message up there under a photo of a pub (which was a house when several Jowetts were born there) on Mill Street.

Thanks though.

Jill
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 September 04 20:10 BST (UK) »
Posting is complete

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ARE YOU A MEMBER OF A FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY?
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 February 05 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I joined the Nottinghamshire Family History Society last year just for the journal that comes out through the year. And the first month it came out with my interests in it i recieved 2 phonecalls, several letters and e-mails. All have proved to have a connection with my tree, so i am very pleased.
I opted to have eletronic membership ( my journal comes in my e-mail) for 2 years which is just a bit more expensive that a normal year's membership.
The NFHS doesn't offer discounts but i know other societys do if you join them.

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 February 05 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I joined Northumberland & Durham - it's only one of about four I should really join, but I go up to Newcastle regularly to see my Mum. I spent a morning at the research centre late last year and made some very good progress. I have just asked for a summary of my research interests to be included in the next newsletter, so it will be interesting to see what sort of response there will be. I know for a fact that there is someone out there researching a branch of my Nicholson line, but I cannot make contact with them. Hopefully this will draw them out.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Sue Thomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 February 05 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I have been a member Of Liverpool & SW Lancs FHS for a couple of years. I haven't had much joy with contacts but my subscription obviously is important to their activities (only £7 a year). The Quarterly Journal is good and has interesting articles. It helps I think to get a flavour of the area your ancestors came from. They also did a crew list of the Lusitania which was torpedoed by the germans in 1915 which was of interest to me as a great uncle of mine went down on her.
O'Connell, Robinson, Conway, Cunningham (Liverpool and Ireland)
Smith, Vallis, Fry (Somerset), Horrocks (London), Neighbour (Bucks).
Lookup information is for personal research purposes only and is Crown Copyright from National Archives