Author Topic: Ramshaw  (Read 1298 times)

Offline maureen39

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ramshaw
« on: Thursday 10 February 05 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Im trying to find where Richard C Ramshaw and Kate Mary Ramshaw were married. They lived in Levenshulme and I have found all the family living there on the 1891 Census.I think the marriage date was Sept 1881.!..She came originally from Grantham Liconshire and He came from Leeds Yorkshire......This is my first posting so if I have done it wrong do forgive me. ::)

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: Ramshaw
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 05 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Maureen
I have found this marriage entry for Richard , Unfortunatly Kate must be on a separate page. Do you know her maiden name?
-----------------------------------
Name:    Ramshaw, Richard Charles
Record Type:    Marriages
Quarter:    September
Year:    1881
District:    Grantham (1837-1933) 
County:    Leicestershire Lincolnshire
Volume:    7a
Page:    593
Joe
-------------------------------------------------------
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maureen39

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 February 05 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Maureen
I have found this marriage entry for Richard , Unfortunatly Kate must be on a separate page. Do you know her maiden name?
Name:    Ramshaw, Richard Charles
Record Type:    Marriages
Quarter:    September
Year:    1881
District:    Grantham (1837-1933) 
County:    Leicestershire Lincolnshire
Volume:    7a
Page:    593
Joe
-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much ,I have no idea if I am doing this right or not..hope so.Her Maiden name was Roberts. This must be a wonderful site..that was so quick.

Offline GranpaByTheSea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 February 05 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I have seen Joe's post just as I was about to gives some similar (but slightly different) information.

I also had noted the Marriage for Richard Charles RAMSHAW which, as Joe says, lists a Marriage at Grantham in the September Quarter of 1881.  However, I was puzzled by the fact that the other three names on Vol 7a/p593 were for Boston whereas Richard's entry was for Grantham - they should all be the same.  This prompted me to have a quick look at the original Index for that Quarter on 1837online.com which gives the actual page number as 693

Now the bad news!  Page 693 does not list Kate M Roberts (or any other Kate) either nor, on examining the appropriate Index Page for Roberts in 1837online.com, is any Kate Roberts listed as being married in that Quarter anywhere, let alone Grantham.  Thus, I think this marriage of Richard Charles may not be the one you are looking for.

I have no doubt that you have good reasons for saying that Kate Mary came from Grantham Lincolnshire but in both the 1891 and 1901 Censuses her Birthplace was given as Manchester, Lancashire.

One final thought - I note their first child was born in Zanzibar; is it possible they married in Zanzibar too?

Sorry couldn't be more help.  Good Hunting!
Exton, Hay, Ouzman, Pulsford, Slack, Twemlow, Whelan.

Offline maureen39

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 February 05 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I have seen Joe's post just as I was about to gives some similar (but slightly different) information.

I also had noted the Marriage for Richard Charles RAMSHAW which, as Joe says, lists a Marriage at Grantham in the September Quarter of 1881.  However, I was puzzled by the fact that the other three names on Vol 7a/p593 were for Boston whereas Richard's entry was for Grantham - they should all be the same.  This prompted me to have a quick look at the original Index for that Quarter on 1837online.com which gives the actual page number as 693

Now the bad news!  Page 693 does not list Kate M Roberts (or any other Kate) either nor, on examining the appropriate Index Page for Roberts in 1837online.com, is any Kate Roberts listed as being married in that Quarter anywhere, let alone Grantham.  Thus, I think this marriage of Richard Charles may not be the one you are looking for.

I have no doubt that you have good reasons for saying that Kate Mary came from Grantham Lincolnshire but in both the 1891 and 1901 Censuses her Birthplace was given as Manchester, Lancashire.

One final thought - I note their first child was born in Zanzibar; is it possible they married in Zanzibar too?

Sorry couldn't be more help.  Good Hunting!

Please dont apologise I cant beleive how quick you have come up with this information,thank you Im delighted.And yes I have also found on the 1891 England Census that Mary F Ramshaw first child was born in E Africa.What you have found also connects with information my Grandmother gave me years ago.She said that Richard Ramshaw was a Missionary over in Zanzibar.You could possibly be right maybe his wife was a missionary also .Its quite possible Im going down the wrong track with Grantham.I have only just started with the Family tree and am not quite sure what to do as yet but the whole thing is the most exciting hobby I have ever had.

Offline GranpaByTheSea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 February 05 12:17 GMT (UK) »
". . . but the whole thing is the most exciting hobby I have ever had. . ."

Public Health Warning - Geanealogy can be addictive!!

Glad you found the info useful.

Richard
Exton, Hay, Ouzman, Pulsford, Slack, Twemlow, Whelan.