Author Topic: Moir/ Foveran  (Read 4911 times)

Offline connor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moir/ Foveran
« on: Sunday 25 January 09 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I have so far on a diiferent line got to

George Moir b 1713 ish I have a christening date as 26/7/1713 in Foveran, from igi

We think he had a sister Margaret Moir b 1712 Foveran.

George married in 1734 (29/8)  to Jean Fyfe (b 1713 Rayne)

I have their children but not parenst or any siblings?
Any ideas?

Amanda :-*

Wallbank(warwickshire),Heather(bucks),Perrin(Bucks),Plewis(Kent) Coutts(aberdeenshire),le couture kick(Wales,Jersey)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Moir/ Foveran
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Connor,

Looks like the end of the line for you on this one......  As you see from the IGI it gives Georges ch. date as 26/07/1713.  It also gives his fathers name only - as everyone knew who the mother was - quite often only the fathers name is registered.   You've then searched the batch no. and come up with a Margt Moir born to a father George Moir in Foveran.    Good chance the 2 are siblings. 

If it was me - depending how flush you are with money and how desperate you want to tie off loose ends.  I'd download both their OPRs from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.  £6 min. spend.  £1.20 to download each.  Hopefully they'd give either occupation and residence of father and any witnesses.  They might compare. 

To have got back this far is really good   Well done.  Regards,   Steve   :O)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 09 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Conner,please let us know if you do get an occupation & address for these Moirs. I have the Foveran M.I.'s book & there are 6 Moir graves. I'll gladly look them up for you.
Also I used to stay a couple of miles from Foveran & am very familiar with placenames!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline connor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 February 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks I will look at this over the next few days, sorry to got get back earlier, was away.

All the best

Amanda
Wallbank(warwickshire),Heather(bucks),Perrin(Bucks),Plewis(Kent) Coutts(aberdeenshire),le couture kick(Wales,Jersey)

Offline connor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 February 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Had a look on thre scotlands people web site it does not givre any more info. only george moir as father.

Still stuck
Amanda

Offline JADuvall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 December 14 02:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm seeking information on an Elizabeth Moir who married John Craig (Wright) in Edinburgh in 1708.  She is identified as the daughter of the late Gilbert Moir of Foveran in the marriage records.  What I'm trying to determine is whether or not Elizabeth's father might be the elder Gilbert Moir, son of Andrew Moir of Oldmill and Foveran, merchant/burgess of Aberdeen.

Jeff

Offline BarbaraKimThigpen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I have Lady Elizabeth Moir married [1708] to Dr. John Craig II; parents of Lady Elizabeth Craig Knox.
I'm wondering what 'Wright' is.

I show her parents as Anna Jack [born 1661] and Gilbert Craig of Foveran [born 1669].                   Dr. John Craig I of Inversk and Janet Mitchell are his parents.

On GENI, the profile of Lady Elizabeth Moir has her parents as Archibald Moir and Anna.
Archibald Moir; Born in Edinburgh, Scotland on 1655 to William Moir and Isabel Guthrie. Archibald married Anna Jack?

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 February 19 23:10 GMT (UK) »
A wright is someone who works in wood, e.g. a wheelwright.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.