Author Topic: Burgess, Bala, Ontario 1901 onwards - Completed but still ongoing  (Read 36340 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burgess, Bala, Wood & Medora, Ontario 1901 onwards
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 00:56 GMT (UK) »
O.K. this is crazy... birth of James Burgels Carr on Oct 24 1901 - parents William CARR and Catherine Wilkinson BURGELS
Might they not have known how to say/spell the name...I don't think we are on the wrong track here...but this is no longer a simple miss-transcription...
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~births/Ca_Surnames.htm

but Mary Kathleen Carr birth definitely says Catherine Wilkinson Burgess as mother
& births of William Stanley Carr & Douglas Bernard Carr say Catherine W.

This rellie's a perfect guide to see if any old real estate still exists:
http://www.bala.net/gidley/history.html

James K. was in Wetaskiwin in 1905...
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~abwcobit/Data/Papers/1905C/SmallArticles1905CPage19.html
Notice of the wedding in Wiartin:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~abwcobit/Data/Papers/1905EJ/Marriage1905EJPage5.html

John built a boat in 1901!
http://polsonironworks.com/engineBuilds/1901.shtml#cityofBala

;)  hehe that's your Burgess trivia for the day...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.J.

Thanks for all that - it will keep me busy for a while  :)

The James Burgels Carr has been transcribed as Burgess onthe A*try listing and the original is definitely Brugess, although the first s could be mistaken for an l - maybe the pen slipped  ;D

I'm now going to summarise all this information and work out what we've got and what we haven't but we seem to have covered a vast number of Tom's descendants.

Thank you both very very much  :-*

Gadget

PS - do you think cousin Mark might let me have a wee weekend place up there  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I think this is what we have on the descendants of Thomas Burgess (1823-1901) and Margaret McTaggart. I've not gone through all the cemetery info yet.

Euphemia , b. Oct 1863  m Alfred Jackson (farmer), 1886 (Bala in 1911)
children ~
Gordon B, b. Sept 1888
Alfred Jack,  b. March 1890
Lorne, b. Aug 1892
Stewart , b. Feb 1895
Wildred ,  b. June 1897
Thomas, b. April 1902

Alexander McTaggart, b. 9 Nov 1864 (physician)  did not marry d.  1828  (Bala in 1911)

Thomas (lumber merchant-resort keeper), b. 26 Feb 1866,  m Isabella Spence McTavish, 1894  (Bala in 1911)
children ~
Edith M, b. 3 Mar 1895 m Thomas Jewitt, 1915, Bala
Helen M F, b. 1 July 1899 m Charles Roushorne, 1920, Bala
Katherine, Nov 1905 m Harold  Samuel White, 1924, Toronto
Alison, July 1910  m.  (?Gidley)

Catherine/Katherine Wiilkinson, b. June 1867  m William Carr, (farmer)  1895
children ~
Douglas, b. Feb 1898
James,b. Oct 1901
Kathleen, b. June 1904
Stanley W, b. June 1908/9

Samuel S, b. 19 Mar 1869 (general storekeeper)  m  Rose E Huggett, 1906  (Vancouver in 1911)
children ~
Thomas, b. Dec 1907

Donald, b. May 1871 (carpenter) m  Agnes Maria Axworthy, 1900  (Kootenay, B.C in 1901) (not found after 1901)
children ~

added - just found a possible death date for Donald - 23 Nov 1959, Ladysmith, B.C. aged 88

James K, b. 19 Aug 1871 (barrister) m Esther Miller, 1905  (Alberta in 1911/1916)
children ~
Katherine M, b. April 1906
Alex E, b. Jan 1908 

(note - either Donald or James are telling porkies on the censuses - will check up)

1891 has Donald as aged 21 and James as 19

John W, b. 18 April 1873 (merchant)  m. Katherine McTaggart Esplin/Esplen, 1906 (Bala in 1911)
children ~
Katherine M, b. May 1909

May/Mary E, b. 28 May 1876 (Bala in 1901) (not found after 1901)

Margaret, b. 19 Dec 1877 m Albert Martin (mechanical engineer) in 1905 (Vancouver in 1911)
children~
Jean Elizabeth, b. Mar 1905
Albert Murray,  b. Sept 1910

PS - For seconds, I've got Jean Burgess (wee Tom's aunt) and Tom McGill to sort out - came over in the 1820s and not doing too well in the 1840s as far as a letter says  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 29 January 09 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Once you get your brain around who all these people are and have closely related to you, and if you wish to get in contact with any who are still living, if we can be of assistance in any way please let us know.

I see one of them Jack...made it to Camrose and then Wetaskiwin Alberta.....but then I am half asleep so may have them wrong  ;D ;D

Just let us know if we can help in anyway (although so far I have done diddly on this topic, I would certainly be willing to help out in anyway I can).

The marrage of Thomas to Margaret McTaggart has me a bit worried.....as I have McTaggarts in my line ...... :P :P :P

Yell and you shall recieve Gadget....that's what we are here for.....Especially Karen, J.J.
Janet and others.... ;D  ;)  I play second banana to most of the help on here, but I do try.

dollylee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 29 January 09 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dolly

It's the BC ones that seem to have gone astray:

Donald, b. May 1871* (carpenter) m  Agnes Maria Axworthy, 1900  (Kootenay, B.C in 1901) (not found after 1901)
children ~

added - just found a possible death date for Donald - 23 Nov 1959, Ladysmith, B.C. aged 88

* think this was May 1870.

Any thoughts/ideas what might have happened. I can't find head nor hair of them after 1901 and the death is only a possible  :-\

Gadget

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 29 January 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget :)

Donald and Agnes are certainly elusive. I couldn't find them in the 1911 Census either.

I wonder if they possibly spent some time in the United States. That is where I found some of my rellies who disappeared after 1901. I don't have A****y access to the 1910 US Census but someone here may or you might want to ask on the US board?

You probably found Donald's death on the BC Vital Records Index (?) but in case you didn't here is a link.....

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/textual/governmt/vstats/v_events.htm#indexes

There is a death for an Agnes Maria Burgess in this index..... 10 Dec 1940 in Burnaby (part of Vancouver).

Also in the index are three births 1901-1903 (cut-off year is 1903). If they travelled to BC soon after their marriage one or two children might be theirs. No way to tell without the cert but.......there is a kind rootschatter :) on the forum who has done lookups of BC records in the past and may be able to check them (and the deaths) for you at some point.

Regards,
Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 29 January 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link to the BC Cemetery Finding Aid

http://www.islandnet.com/bccfa/

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 29 January 09 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Polarbear and Karen

I have access to the US census and wondered if they might have strayed over the border . I'll do some more digging  :)

Gadget

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 29 January 09 21:10 GMT (UK) »
The Rootschat West Coast Alert system is working well today (thanks Karen!) and I must say it is far nicer than that annoying Emergency Broadcast System test on telly!   ;D

Gadget - I can look up the death registrations hopefully tomorrow but if not, on the weekend.  I got a little distracted by all the talk of a "social whirl" but I think these are the lookups you are waiting for:

Samuel Burgess - possible match for Samuel Spalding Burgess, died in Vancouver in 1937, buried at Mountain View
Rose - can't find anything yet
Thomas - possible match for Thomas Edwin, died Vancouver 1972 or Wm Thomas died Vancouver 1983

Margaret Martin - a common name so I'll see if any dates match up.  Any chance of a middle name or initial?
Albert Martin - ditto

Donald and Agnes matches have already been found and maybe some early birth registrations for possible children.

I think that is all of them.  If I find a matching registration, would you like a copy of it or just a transcription?

Lynwen

ps.  please add me to the social whirl invitation list  ;D
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire