Author Topic: John Hope an Hanna ?  (Read 5043 times)

Offline zeldjee

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
John Hope an Hanna ?
« on: Tuesday 20 April 04 23:07 BST (UK) »
I have John Hope an Hanna, two children, (the last one born in 1837 in England.) came from England, between 1837 and 1859.
We have them in Greenup County KY, in 1860, with two grandchildren, I can't find them on any passenger ships, and have no clue where to look in England for them, did searchs at LDS site an have some possibles.  This is also the only census I've found them on.  Could not find anything on them in the naturalization historys either.

Can anyone suggest where else I might look to find information on where in England they may have come from ? Thank you, jean

Offline roma

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:John Hope an Hanna ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 May 04 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean
Re your John HOPE and Hanna, what is the name of the child born in 1837, this is when civil registration started in England. If you can find the birth it will give you a direction to look in.
Regards
Robert

Offline zeldjee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 04 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert, and thank you, the 1837 birth is for Ann Hope, she also had a brother born 1835 William Hope, parents were John Hope and Hanna? Not much to go on, and I have no idea of how to search in England, and what their protocols are, I've heard some awful storys about folks asking for help . The only other peice of info we have, is on the census, he is listed as a miner, I have no idea where the mining comunities are in England either, so if you can offer any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.
thank you
jean

Offline girlsearching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 04 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

We probably don't have any connections but it's worth a shot.  
Did Ann stay in England - if she did, I maybe able to help.
Vic.
My email address is not working - sorry.

Research family names: Smith-Middlesex, Daniels-Portsmouth, Kearns-?Ireland, Luther-Ludlow, Probert-South Wales and a few more a long the way!

Offline zeldjee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 04 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Vic, thanks for responding, our Ann Hope married David Isaac Ayres, Octorber 5 1852, Lawrence Co, Ohio, we believe she died in childbirth to her second child David Ayres around 1856.  I've found nothing that says when any of them came over, except for a paper I got today on John Hope, declaring his intention for citizen ship, so far this is the only doc I have on this family, and cannot say for sure it is even our John Hope, but the dates and age are right. But as for when Ann came over, I cannot as yet say, I've found no ships listing them anywhere, anyway, if you have any clues at all that might lead us to find anything definate, please contact me again, this is our huge brick wall, and many of us are working this line without much success, we thank you.
jean e-mail address removed to prevent spamming - Please use the Private Message facility  if you wish to contact me off board. thank you

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 June 04 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there is a birth record on www.familysearch.org for a William HOPE, father-John, mother-Hannah Long for 1834/35 at Burbage, Wiltshire. Wiltshire had a large mining area.

Go to "search" and "International Genealogical Index" (IGI).

Regards
Shirley
I will look for Anne's birth for you on the GRO when I visit the FH library this friday.
Happy hunting!
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline zeldjee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 June 04 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley, bless your heart for finding this piece of info, its the best lead yet, and we haven't had many, I'm on my way to the site right now, thank you again for taking the time to look this up for me, blessings on you and yours.
jean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 June 04 03:58 BST (UK) »
It's a pleasure Jean, I've had help from some lovely people too. I will look for Anne's birth on friday but registration began half way through 1837.

Happy hunting
SS
Godwin- Wilts
Banks - Merton, Surrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 July 04 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi I found an
 Ann HOPE  birth registered Sept qtr 1837 at Hexham 25 178

on the GRO  official records . Hexham is near Newcastle-upon-tyne, Northumberland.

There was also a June and a Joseph registered that year at Hexham in the Dec qtr, so possibly related.

These details will enable you to order her birth certificate if you wish.

This area of Uk is big on mines!!

Let me know if you need any more help.

Best wishes
Shirley
Godwin- Wilts
Banks - Merton, Surrey