Author Topic: Hughes of Skewen  (Read 3330 times)

Offline philaustin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hughes of Skewen
« on: Tuesday 27 January 09 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for details of the first husband of Mary Hughes b 1879 in Skewen to William (b 1850) and Mary (b 1851) Hughes.

According to her 2nd marriage certificate (to Wilfred Charles Judge of Northamptonshire, 1906) she was a widow. I know she had at least one child by her first marriage, possibly William, and that the surname of her spouse was Williams; possible first names are William John.

Residence at the time of 2nd marriage is given as Mynydd View Terrace, Skewen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Austin of Kingston upon Thames; Palmer of IoW; Judge of Northamptonshire; Hughes of South Wales;

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes of Skewen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Well, she's still in Mynydd View, Coedffranc RG13/5061 folio 96 pg 32 for the 1901. So this looks a  possibility
Mary Hughes june qtr 1901 Neath vol 11a pg 1411 with William John Williams on the same page

By the way, Skewen is in Glamorgan, not Breconshire.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline philaustin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that osprey.

I found that 11a/1411 reference too but when i sent for a cert, Neath denied its existance.
I tried to cross reference with a death for WJW too but with no exact date of death there are several possibilities. Mind you, the info on the 2nd marriage cert about Mary Hughes being a widow could be false, it also says on it that her 2nd husbands father was dead whereas in fact he was in rude heath in Northamptonshire.  ;D

I think I'll have to visit.

I know where Skewen is, I think I just have a fixation with Brecknockshire  ;)
Austin of Kingston upon Thames; Palmer of IoW; Judge of Northamptonshire; Hughes of South Wales;

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Why don't you order the certificate from the GRO instead? The index reference is for them and would mean nothing to the office in Neath. I think the marriage records in the local offices are arranged by place of marriage, so finding a Williams/Hughes marriage in a registration district as large as Neath could easily lead to errors.

::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline philaustin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I hadnt thought of using the GRO, I thought the local offices would be easier  and didnt know the references meant nothing to local office.
Funny old world.
Ta for the tip :)