Author Topic: Morris Family - Help please  (Read 7998 times)

Offline tay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morris Family - Help please
« on: Tuesday 27 January 09 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I am fairly new to roottschat and am looking to find info on the Morris family in County Cavan.
George Morris was born in coalhill? county Cavan in 1859, the son of George Morris Carpenter. George jnr joined the Hussars in Ireland re: land wars & then went to Egypt & back to england where married & settled. I have all his army service & up to date stuff but don't know where to start on tracing irish history, can anyone help please.
Thankyou.

Offline cavanlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Morris Family - Help please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 13:00 GMT (UK) »
hi have just joined roots so just seen your message. i would suggest that the place name  is cootehill . cavan. there were a morris family in cavan town when i was a child 1950s they owened a drapers shop. i have found the latter day saints family history section very helpful as they have most of the microfilm of irish  births baptisms and marriages .

Offline Foffee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 09 00:46 BST (UK) »
My Morris family is from Co Cavan, I do believe there was a George among the family, I will have to look back over my records. I am not sure if we are the same Morris family but Cootehill Co Cavan has been mentioned. If you care to email me at  (*)  perhaps we could exchange notes and see if we do belong to the same family.
Regards Rose

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline tjsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 10 07:11 BST (UK) »
My husbands Grandfather was a George Morris from Cootehill Co Cavan born c 1861. He came to England and married Anna Sarah Pike from Shapwick Dorset in 1895 .They lived in and around London.             
I have only  just started reseaching this family  so as yet have little other information to give you in order to see if there is a match.

Offline Foffee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 July 10 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am not exactly sure how this website works LOL. But yes I do have a george Morris in my family tree, My family came from Cavan town and Cootehill Co Cavan.
There was a george moved to England , I believe he died a couple of  years . ago.
I am still not sure if we are talking about the same family.
So let me ask you a few questions. Is your family protestant or Catholic, the reasonI ask that is because while doing my research LOL I feel like I know the whole of Co Cavan. I have come across other Morris families and have documentation on them.

So let me ask you this. What was George's parents or siblings names ?? Do you have any of that information

I will try and help you as much as possible. Even if it is not the same family I am sure I can find out something for you. I visited Co Cavan last year and visited some of the graveyards looking for my own family and I also have an Uncle there doing research for me. I live in Dallas Tx but the internet has so much information and you just need to know where to look LOL

I received a message from you today as regards george Morris but as I said I do not know how to use this web site too well so I went in and found an old posting which I never received and I am replying to you now.

Let me know the information that you have so far and I will see if I can help.

Regards Rosemary

Offline Foffee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 06:13 BST (UK) »
This is part of my family genealogy and with any luck I may be able to connect with other family members.

Jane Leviston born Corravogy, Cootehill, Cavan, Ireland date unknown
Christening:   15 May 1831 Drung Parish, Cavan, Ireland
Parents:-
 Father...Francis Leviston Birth:   abt 1794 Drung, Cavan, Ireland
Mother... Sarah Argue  Birth:   abt 1799 ,Drung, Cavan, Ireland 

Married  6 Dec 1819  Drung Parish, Cavan, Ireland. 

Jane Leviston Married William Morris 6 Nov 1857 
  Drung Parish, Cootehill, Cavan, Ireland.
William worked as a gas fitter and plumber in Co Cavan.
One child of this Marriage was Robert Morris Born July 31st 1865 in Co Cavan. He married a Minnie (Mary) Bryson also from Co Cavan in Southampton USA they married in 1891.I am also trying to trace this Bryson Family if you have any information it would be greatly appreciated.
Rosemary

Offline tjsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi foffee
thanks for your offer of help.
Turns Tay and I are looking for the same George Morris so have pooled resources.
I am fairly new to roottschat and am looking to find info on the Morris family in County Cavan.
George Morris was born in Cootehill County Cavan in 1859, the son of George Morris Carpenter. George jnr joined the Hussars in Ireland re: land wars & then went to Egypt & back to England where he married & settled. I have all his army service & up to date stuff but don't know where to start on tracing irish history, can anyone help please.
Thankyou.

The family was not Catholic. George Morris married Anna Sarah Pike in Wimbone Dorset in 1895 and died in 1917 in London. We dont know his mother  or if there were  siblings.
Do you recognsie any details?? 

Offline hughie54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 December 17 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Just throwing this out there.In my Family tree i have a Rebecca Morris who married Michael Farrell in 1856.They both lived in Virginia County Cavan at the time. Rebecca Morris would be my G.G.Grandmother. Rebecca's father's name was John Morris and he was a plumber.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 December 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.