Author Topic: COMPLETE Albert Edward Lenton born c.1898  (Read 13361 times)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Lenton born c.1898
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Brill !  :D :D :D

I think I found her inn 1841, but didnt transcribe - try winkling her out again - YoB shows as 1837

she can be seen in the 1841 enumerated as Richers - shown YoB 1837, but looks like she's 4 months on the image. Siblings are up to 15+, so not going to find a Civil marriage ... if its the right girl ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Lenton born c.1898
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, tis Nightingale address again .... but no James - I suspect the Henry Riches (a Gardener) is Sarah's F-in-Law - he's 60 !

HO107/678/5; St Marylebone; District: 5A; Folio: 32; Page: 57

Offline Jojo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
COMPLETE Albert Edward Lenton born c.1898
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the 1841 ref, Newf.  Great stuff  :)

I notice at the top of the next page there's Samuel Hatton aged 42.  Sarah's brother, possibly.
I'm going to retire this thread and mark it complete now.  8)

Thanks so much for your help
Jojo

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETE Albert Edward Lenton born c.1898
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Nooooooooooooooooooooo - you still have to find young Albert and his Mum on the 1911   :D

Offline Jojo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I will keep looking  :D
Let you know if I find them...

Offline Jojo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Honestly, this is the last message!  I'm only posting it here in case anyone else searching the same people comes across it really.

I found a World War I record for Albert H Amor Hatton Lenton.  He was signing up in 1914 at Willesden Green.  He stated that he had previously served with the 2nd South Middlesex Rifle Volunteers.  He gives his next of kin as Lillian Elizabeth Lenton, residing in Potterne, Wiltshire. 

A quick internet search indicates there's a good chance he would have been in South Africa for the 1901 census.

As for 1911,  I suppose they could have all been overseas.  I've done some extensive wildcarding in Wiltshire and London  ;D  - - but nothing. 

Around two months after he signed up in 1914, he was discharged with the comment 'Not likely to become an efficient soldier'.  I suppose it was probably quite lucky for him but I wonder whether he felt that at the time.

Also really interesting to find that my elusive Albert Hatton Lenton was 5'4" and had grey eyes and 'light' hair.  :)

TTFN (By the way, did I say 'thanks'?!)
J

Offline williamus

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 29 November 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »

Her address Rowton Cottage, Sutton Park, Sutton Coldfield, father Charles Nicholls, green keeper.

Thanks
Jojo

Hi Jojo

I hope this isn't too much off-topic or out-of-date, but I've been doing some research into Rowton's Cottage in Sutton Park and stumbled across your fascinating thread.  Although there's no trace of the cottage on modern maps or obvious signs on the ground, my research with old OS maps shows a cottage there in the 1896/1904 sheet.  It would have been very isolated and a few hundred yards from the Roman Rowton's Well which is still extant but heavily restored.  The cottage was close to the Sutton Park heath links golf course (hence green keeper I assume).  With the aid of Google Earth and the old maps and an iPhone, we visited the site today and identified very clear evidence of the existence of a dwelling.  I'm assuming that the cottage was demolished either before or just after WW2 .  It's a very evocative place.  (I have some pics but I don't think I'm allowed to attach them on a first post).  Hope this is of some interest to you.  Kind regards

Offline Jojo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 01 December 12 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for posting this info, that's really interesting.  :) Perhaps I'll be able to visit it one day. Do you have family connections to the cottage too?