Author Topic: Help with address  (Read 2530 times)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Re: Help with address
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 January 09 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Curiouser & Curiouser!! He obviously didn't want to be found as there is no 64 Steyne Rd. The road is numbered now and there is nothing in the 60s until 67a. The 1915 street directory confirms only house names . It would seem to be at the Crouch La junction. as 67a is first then 67, 68, 69 . The directory shows a couple of houses and a hospital. Now there is a bungalow (1920s?) with the entrance in Crouch La and a gap then 67a which are probably 1930s
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=50.769927~0.104594&style=h&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Only thing you could try is Seaford Museum, they have a record of addresses and occupiers for the town to see if they have any reference to street numbers. Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 January 09 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete,

Thanks so much!

I wonder if he was headed to the hospital?  According to his neices & nephews "he took off with a nurse".  They never had contact again from him either. 

I'll have to get his military file out and see what his last "post" was in England. 

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 January 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Sounds possible, but strange about the numbering. Seaford Museum might be able to  tell you if it was used as a military hospital. I'll get the name of it tomorrow from the street directory. P
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 January 09 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Just going over his file, he is listed at Seaford, Sussex from 1917 to 1919.  In a letter dated March, 1918 he gives his address as No. 8 Canadian Sanitary Section, Seaford Sussex.

Maybe I will post a request on the WW1 board as to where that was.

Karen

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=357080.msg2343551#msg2343551
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:36 GMT (UK) »
That would have been at North or South camp on the Eastbourne side of Seaford. We have a few photos but nothing remains now. I think there is a clip on the Pathe News site of it. I'll have a look. A friend of mine is working on a project about the camps so I'll try him too. Pete .

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Great, thanks Pete!

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:54 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 Seaford clips from WW1 on https://www.britishpathe.com/
you will need to register. If you opt for the free preview it loads quite quickly. P

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 February 09 12:14 GMT (UK) »
No 8 Sanitary Section  war diaries for Aug/Sept 1918 on http://www.rootschat.com/links/05fx/

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 February 09 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Petmas,

You know RootsChat provides a link shrinker, don't you?  You'll find it at the bottom of the "home" and "profile" pages, maybe elsewhere too.   :)
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk