Author Topic: Candie Cemetery,Guernsey  (Read 8174 times)

Offline LancsLass

• I am sorry but my emails address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Candie Cemetery,Guernsey
« on: Thursday 29 January 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone living near this Cemetery that could do a look up for me please..?
I have records from the Priaulx Library for a family burial plot bought by my 4x GtGrandfather Thomas Bramwell 12th July 1841 for the burial of his wife Alice Richmond Bramwell.
Later burials include Thomas himself in 1844,
Their son Leonard Bramwell in 1877, Leonards wife Mary Ann Blatchford Bramwell in 1876 also 3 grandchildren of Thomas and Alice, all Mannings.
The records say it is plot No. D113 X

I am wondering if there is any chance of any gravestones or even one gravestone..........
Any help would be so much appreciated....

Many thanks for reading this,,,,
LancsLass.
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.
Mallalieu/Mellodew. Ashton-u-Lyne/Saddleworth.

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Candie Cemetery,Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 February 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi LancsLass

I visited Guernsey yesterday but didn't have much time to spare, so I just managed to visit the Priaulx library and looked up some burials in the Candie cemetery index for Bramwells and Mannings, with dates of death:

BRAMWELL       
Thomas  20.7.1844 age 65
Emma  9.6.1861 age 6  dau of Leonard Bramwell and Mary Anne Blatchford
Charles 2.5.1875  age 77  son of William Bramwell and Elizabeth his wife
Leonard  16.2.1877 age 60 (E = born England?) son of Thomas Bramwell and Alice Richmond

MANNING
Sarah 10.4.1844 age 3 dau of John Manning and Martha* Bramwell
Mary Martha  4.4.1844 age 9  (G)
Isabella Jane  19.9.1852  4 months  (G) dau of John Manning and Sarah* Bramwell
William  4.7.1855 age 61  (E = born England?) son of Thomas Manning and Anne Shackle
Joseph  24.2.1858 age 44 (E)
John 29.3.1859  age 85  (E)
Joseph 5.3.1851  age 3 (G) son of Joseph Maniing and Maria Male
Louisa  4.1.1873  age 22 (E)  dau of William Manning and Jane Henton
Bertha Ellen  10.3.1874  9 months  dau of William Manning and Mary Anne Blackler
Mary  18.10.1874  age 84  widow of Joseph Taudevin

(* not sure why Sarah/Martha's name appears to be different!)

I regret that was all I had time to do.   I did not go into the cemetery to see the gravestones - it was raining!

I hope this information helps.

Regards

Mike
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline LancsLass

• I am sorry but my emails address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 February 09 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mike....Thank you so much, that was incredibly kind of you..!
The Bramwell info i had of course and some of the Manning's BUT not all.....
Certainly the Manning children Sarah,Mary Martha & Isabella are all daughters of my 3xGtGrandparents John Manning and Martha Bramwell Manning..
The last entry Mary widow of Joseph Taudevin is also one of mine..she is John Manning's sister. Both children of James Manning and Mary Syms Manning.
Mary was born prior to the Manning family moving to Guernsey c1800 from Devon. John was born St Peter Port in 1806.
The Bramwells were also born England except for my 3xGtGrandmother Martha Bramwell..she was born St Peter Port Feb 1814..her father Thomas was a Sgt Major in the Royal Veterens Battalion..he retired later that year and moved to Cheshire (were he had been born)  had  son Leonard born in Stockport, and later returned to Guernsey. The family (or most of them)are buried there.
I am hoping eventually to find out if they have any memorial stone. So many people buried in the same plot i would imagine there must be something.......
Would be nice to find out.......
Thank you again......Best Wishes.......LL.
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.
Mallalieu/Mellodew. Ashton-u-Lyne/Saddleworth.

Offline pete11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 12 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello I came across your request by chance after taking some other photos in the cemetery, and I located your ancestors grave which I have pictured below.  I took a couple of close up's but the wrting is very faint however I could make out Leonard Brawmell.  Kind regards Pete.  For some reason even though I uploaded a picture yesterday I am unable to do so today, please bear with me while I try to rectify this matter.  Went to another part of the site and was again able to upload an image a bit perplexed why I cannot in this instance, would appreciate some help!!

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
Trying to attach to this subject.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.