Author Topic: Elizabeth Robb - dilemma  (Read 9054 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Robb - dilemma
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 January 09 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Monica,

Just (married) and yes in Montrose.

The cert I have for a possible wife's death has her deceased in Dundee, having been there for 2 years. It says she was born in Montrose. She was 75, in 1855 and her hubby was a weaver. David 71, in 1859 Flaxdresser died in Montrose.

Janice

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 February 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Janice

I can't see a David Robb with wife Elizabeth in 1841/51 in his age group  :-\ There is this entry for example in 1841, but it is a single entry for a David:

David Robb, flax dresser j., 50 (ages rounded down in 1841, to the nearest 5 yrs).
Address: Market Street, Montrose, Angus

In 1851, in Montrose:

David Robb 62, flax dresser b. Montrose
John (wife?!) Robb 49, b. Balkholme, Kincardine
George Gary 58, visitor
Helen Gary 20 , visitor

Address: 35 ????, Montrose

The 1855 death cert you found for a possible death of an Elizabeth does it show with maiden name Greig? The other check is that death certs for this year normally show the names and ages of children that person had - maybe another useful check?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 February 09 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Now I am refreshed, I can see what I have stupidly done.  :-[

The Elizabeth death cert I purchased was with a father David, and not a hubby!

There was one elderly enough, who was in the lunatic asylum. Would explain her missing on the census'. I'll explore this one. Had a look and there is no information re family. I've tried Betsy, as this was the name written for her on Joseph's death cert. Nothing there.

At time of death, David was at: 29 ? street. It could be Murray. I can't go further with David, as his mother's name wasn't listed and his father was David.

Have their Banns cert, now, thank you.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Anya61

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi! 10 years late, but I can tell you that Jane Robb married George Bell in 1867, the year before her ex-husband, Joseph Robb, died in 1868. Robb and Bell were definitely pawnbrokers in the Cowgate, Dundee, and George Bell owned apartments there, as well. Jane (Gray Robb) Bell died in 1895. Two years later, in 1897, George Bell had a son, my father, who became his heir. (The old Cowgate has been knocked down for a good number of years.) I know that my grandmother was buried in the East Necropolis, Dundee, but I am not sure where my grandfather lies, as he died round about 1905-06. My grandmother died in the 30`s, 

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Anya61.

Thank you for the information you have provided. It’s never too late to add snippets to the family tree.

Jamjar