Author Topic: Robinson family-Elkesley 1861-1961  (Read 6156 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Robinson family-Elkesley 1861-1961
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 March 15 11:01 GMT (UK) »
"There is one big gap in this family and it is my Grandmother.  She was Clara Ann Robinson born I believe in April 1881 at Elkesley.  I have a copy of her birth certificate and it is dated Second April 1883
Mother is Sarah Robinson General Work.  No father is listed When registered Twelfth May 1883."

You say you believe she was born April 1881 but have her birth cert saying 1883.
Kate Robinson was registered Jun 1881 at E Retford 7b/13, there is also a Arthur Butt Robinson with the same registration details.
The 1881 census was on the  3rd April, so if one of the girls birthdays was on 2nd April she should be only be a day old on the census. The census image looks like 2 weeks. I could not find a death for this Clara , so a bit of a tangle there with names, Could Sarah have called her Clara initially and then decide she liked Kate better? She certainly baptised her as Kate in the May 1881.
I think it unlikely she left 2 years to register a birth as there was a consequence to doing that.

Fanny's baptism date does not tie with her census age either -according to that she was born 1886 and baptised 1898, so she would have been around 12 at her baptism.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 March 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I doubt that Sarah had 3 more children due to sorrow at losing 3 earlier born ones. She was a widow with small children in the days before there was any such thing as social security and many women in that situation did what they had to do to survive and get food into the children's mouths..
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline lulis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 March 15 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have copies of the birth certificates of the three daughters of Sarah Scott Robinson

All are in Registration District East Retford
21.03.1881 Elkesley  Kate Robinson  When registered 07.05.1881
02.04.1883 Elkesley Clara Ann Robinson  When registered 12.05.1883
25.09.1885 Elkesley  Fanny Robinson  When registered 07.11.1885

Kate had a daughter
03.09.1902 Elkesley Edith Clara Robinson  When registered 15.10.1902  No father named

Clara Ann Robinson married my Grandfather and went on to have 8 children, which I will not go into

I searched the baptisms records first many years ago and I have Kate's baptism written down at Elkesley Number 742 and dated 01.05.1880? 

Regards Lulis
Robinson, Doncaster(Nottinghamshire/Wakefield)
Kirk, Massey, Skinner,Howlett,(Lincolnshire)

Offline Mruczek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 March 15 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lulis

You mentioned in a previous post that you had William John Robinson's KOYLI service record, is there much detail in it?  If there is, I will apply for it.  The one I have just received back from the MOD re my father was very sparse on detail, to the extent that his active service contained 2 lines - dates of departure and arrival in North Africa and yet he qualified for 6 campaign medals!

Regards Mruczek

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 March 15 10:34 GMT (UK) »
 "searched the baptisms records first many years ago and I have Kate's baptism written down at Elkesley Number 742 and dated 01.05.1880? "

Both Freereg and NFHS give 1881 for Kate's baptism. If you have her birth as 21st 3rd 1881, her baptism could hardly be 1-5-1880.
 Free Reg
Elkesley
St Giles
Number   742   
Baptism Date   01 May 1881
Forename   Kate
Mother Forename   Sarah Scott
Mother Surname    ROBINSON
Abode   Elkesley

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline lulis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 March 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Larkspur

Thank you Larkspur for looking up the baptism date for Kate.  I have also seen this on Free Reg, but when I started my tree (i am not sure) but I think I got the information of the baptisms from parish records on microfiche's?  Could have been at the library at Retford.  A year makes a big difference to the way I see things, so when I have time I will track down the Parish records and look again.

Hi Mruczek

There is not much information on the service record for William John Robinson.
If this is what I have?
He must have been in the Territorial Army, his Reg No was 4897.  Then he changes Reg No to 202118  He was a private in the KOYLI.   Unit 1/4 Bn  First joined for duty 15.06.15   Place Wakefield

Some of the sheets are burnt and some you cannot read very well (faded or done in pencil)

On the Military History Sheet it reads

(First Heading is burnt           From                             To                   Years           Days
Embodied Home             14.6.15                   4.3. 16                                            264?
Abroad                           5. 3 .16                 11? 2. 19                          2
Home                            14.2.19                   18.3.19
?                                   19.3.19

Campaigns   First line cannot read?      --      4.3.16
                  Expeditionary Force France   5.3.16 to  ? ? 19

British War Medal
The Victory Medal

Medical Inspection Report
Date cannot read
Apparent age 38 yrs 11 months
Height 5 ft 5 3/4ins
Chest measurement   35 ins    Range of expansion 3 ins

I got this record because my mother told me her mother was upset that her brother had been killed in WW1.  But now it is too late to ask her again.

Regards Lulis

Robinson, Doncaster(Nottinghamshire/Wakefield)
Kirk, Massey, Skinner,Howlett,(Lincolnshire)