Author Topic: Willie Woods aka Thistlewaite  (Read 5171 times)

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Willie Woods aka Thistlewaite
« on: Sunday 01 February 09 15:57 GMT (UK) »
An on-going post has requested info for the title Orphan Willie Woods,,,please help. The post was looking into info regarding his childhood. My  grandmother was Roberta Kelly, sister of Alberta Kelly who was Wilfred Thistlewaite's first wife) Willie was adopted and was originally Willie Woods. If the originator needs or wants info on the Kelly line I have info to share.

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Willie Woods aka Thistlewaite
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi 2ron2,

and Welcome to RootsChat.

The RootsChat member, willys son, who's family was found  on the thread,

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,283110.0.html

seems to be out of town this weekend but I have left him a phone message re; your kind offer.

Alberta Thistlethwaite nee Kelly was the mother of Albert, the half brother of willys son.

Regards,

Genie  :)
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 February 09 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I show Wilfred E Thistlewaite ad Alberta Lenora Kelly as having three children: Shirley Helen m Jack Janes (had a son Allan); William Albert m Jean Baskin (had 4 children, they divorced and he remarried); the unnamed male baby.
Alberta and her sister Sarah Ellen as I mentioned were Home Children. After placement at Hazelbrae in Peterborough, Sarah eventually married Wm Frank C kelly in Norwood in 1899. My grandmother Roberta was their eldest child, Alberta was their third daughter (of 6).

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron,   
going back over the post on the Willie Woods thread, it is true that Alberta had three children but only one survived. The first died at birth, the second was Albert and the third died at birth just a week before Alberta herself died in 1928.

Young Albert was left with Henry A.and Amelia Thistlethwaite at their request and raised by them.

Wilfred E. Thistlethwaite (aka Willie Woods) and his second wife, Mabel Helen Bowman, had four children; girl b.1932, boy b.1939, boy b.1944 and girl b.1947. I can't post their names as they are still living.
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 13:15 GMT (UK) »
So, do you have any idea who the Shirley Helen is that married Jack Janes? A researcher in Norwood gave me the information and seemed confident that it was correct.

Offline willys son

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 February 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi 2Ron2
I have been away and just became aware of your postings.
I am willys son and my father did indeed marry Albertra kelly.
They did only have one surviving son, Albert.
I can give you more info when you reply.
I find it very interesting that you corresponded with someone from Norwood about this.
I have a little info on the Kellys and I am sure my brother Albert would be very interested in any info you might have.
Hoping to hear back.

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 February 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Wiiilys son

thank your for contacting me. Yes I am related to the kellys of Norwood. My grandmother Roberta (Ruby) Kelly was Alberta's oldest sister. Ruvy married my grandfather George Cross in peterborough in 1919. It was my understanding that they (Ruby and Alberta)  had both lived in Rochester at one time. My grandmother died there following the birth of her last child in 1926. She was brought back to Norwood for burial as was Alberta. I have some early pictures of Alberta and would be willing to send them to you if interested. I have no image of Wilfred Thistlewaite.

Will enjoy exchanging info and let me know what and how much you would like to know about the kelly family

Offline willys son

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 February 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi 2ron2
Thanks for getting back to me.
My father and Alberta did live in Rochester, Albert was born there as far as I know.
I will contact you again probably in the next couple of days.
Doing a  bit of running around at this time and should be able to get a pic of my dad to you.
Willys Son

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 February 09 15:03 GMT (UK) »
This info refers to the original post for Willie Woods which has since been locked. There was a reference regarding a possible mother for Willie as being a Catherine Woods and that a likely candidate had been found in  the Bethel/Doxsee Cem in Prince Edward Cty. I happen to have a transcript which I had ordered years ago and the info on the individual is:

???Wood   Catherine M, d August 20 1872, age 2 yrs.

so obviously it is not the right one.The other Wood entries in the cemetery are:

Wood,  Permelia d April 16 1852 at 27 yrs
Wood, Albert S, d July 24 1868
Wood, Jane, w of Wm Wood, died February 28 1871 at 85 yrs 5 mo

It doesn't appear that this is in any way connected to the Charles Wood and wife that the forum was seeking

Secondly, there were mention of border crossings for Willie and second wife Helen. Willie and first wife Alberta Kelly lived at one time in Rochester NY as did my grandmother and Alberta's sister, Roberta (Ruby). Ruby was in Rochester from 1921-22 until her death in 1926. Alberta was there sometime around the same time. Maybe Willie and second wife Helen went to Rochester to reconnect with what he left there from his time with first wife Alberta?

2ron2