Author Topic: McNaughton Perth - Fleshers (Look-up)  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: McNaughton Perth - Fleshers (Look-up)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Monica and others
My friend finally visited AKBell library. He told me that the archivist at the library was brilliant. She immediately found an article in The Perthshire Constitutional & Journal (Dec 18, 1889). The article described in graphic detail how my g grandfather jumped from a 3rd floor attic in Meal Venal and later died in the Royal Infirmary.

My mate also obtained a copy of the death register entry. Which describes William McNaughton as a flesher and widower of -- Wilson. I assume this info was obtained from David Hallyburton William's nephew who was the informant.

As far as the demise of William is concerned, it's very sad but at least I have the detail. My original query about the second marriage to somebody named Wilson remains unsolved.

Thank you all for showing interest in my research but I guess, for the moment, case closed.

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Benzol

Thank you for the update. Sad depressing end for your William, but you now have the details.

I had another look, trying to find anything on a possible Wilson second wife....and nothing there is there  :-\

Just a thought for you. Given that William's wife Lilias Douglas died in 1861, a good c 28yrs before William, could William's nephew, David Hallyburton, who reported his death in 1889 have simply made a mistake when trying to remember Lilian Douglas' name?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 February 18 19:26 GMT (UK) »
In the 1881 census he is lodging at 126 South Street, Perth. Also in the household is a Margaret Wilson

Online bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

126 South street Perth seems to have an interesting history, I had a look at the valuation rolls on Scotlandspeople in 1875 it would appear the owner is a Miss Elizabeth Pullar and she seems to occupy part of the house, also with the same address are various tenant/occupiers including a tavern and stables, a lumber yard.
The next valuation roll in 1985 it is a shop and the owner/occupier is a Mrs Ann Ramsay.
There are only 2 McNaughton's on the valuation rolls for Perth from 1855 to 1935 that I could find one is in 1920 and the other 1935.

From memory there used to be a lodging house in South street I came across this when researching something else and I cannot remember when that was I think the early 1900s will have to do some digging.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
There are these McNaughtons showing in the 1885-6 PO Directory www.archive.org/stream/postofficeperthd18845mars#page/158/mode/2up

No William, flesher, though  :-\ Maybe worked at one of the flesher businesses of the time www.archive.org/stream/postofficeperthd18845mars#page/216/mode/2up

126 South Street not showing here, from 1885, www.archive.org/stream/lesliesdirectory1885prin#page/242/mode/2up/search/macnaughton

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
For useless info 126 South street Perth is next to the Tesco Metro, it would back onto canal street in the late 1800s early 1900s there was a fire in the whiskey bond in canal street where there were reports of burning whiskey running down the street it destroyed a lot of the buildings in what is now Speygate I wonder if this is what destroyed the wood yard and associated properties I remember reading a report of this fire in old newspapers but cannot remember the dates if anyone has access to the newspaper archives!
Yours Aye
BruceL