Author Topic: Surname Penn  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Jvtree1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Penn
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 May 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Greetings -

Regarding my previous post: "My research shows that their father was Allen (1750–1816) who married twice: 1st to Ann OLIVER (1752–1790) and 2nd to their mother, Sarah RIGBY (1772– )."

Since that post, I have discovered Ann (OLIVER) PICKERING's Will (probated 1823) in the collection England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858 on Ancestry.com.  Ann (OLIVER) PICKERING having a Will, indicates she outlived her husband Allen P., thus he would have had no 2nd marriage.  This means my previous theory is wrong and I currently have no idea for the identity of the parents of Allen PICKERING husband of Sarah RIGBY ((b. 1772).

Just wanted to clarify, so that I do not lead anyone astray with a flawed theory.

Offline WOLVERHAMPTON HIGGS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just PM'd you with this message regarding:

Pickerings in Wrockwardine.

I have also been researching the Pickerings of Telford. It's my husband's line. However, my tree does not lead to the parents that you have identified as being Allen's (b.1803). I discounted Sarah Rigby as Allen's mother and placed him with another family. Allen moved to Kingswinford with his sister Priscilla and brother Thomas (who states he was born on 'Pains Lane', although christened Wombridge, which is the original name of what is now St Georges; and was the main road that now runs through it). I grew up about 3 miles from there. Allen calls his own daughter Priscilla, after his sister, and she appears on a census in Thomas' house. Allen's son, Thomas is also brought up by his (childless) brother Thomas.

I have his parents as Christopher (christened Wombridge, 1763, resident Wrockwardine) also called Kester and Hester on records) and Anne. Their children were:

John (died 1790)
Thomas (Christened 1798), who later moves with him to Kingswinford
Elizabeth (Christened 1801)
Allen (christened 1803)
Priscilla (christened 1806), who later moved with him to Kingswinford
Ann (christened 1809)

Lillishall is sometimes mentioned as being the area they lived or the parish they were christened in, but that was the name of the main parish, covering many of the churches in the West Telford area.
I discounted Sarah Rigby as Allen's mother, because her Allen was christened in 1809, and the other family seemed more likely as the sibling names matched.

Christopher (b.1763) parents were Christopher (Chrisstifild) and Jane.

It seems that the family originated from Wrockwardine village, which is quite far from the Pains Lane/Wrockwardine Wood area where Allen was later born. Allen's father was married at Wrockwardine village church. If you visit the church, you can see that is was a small rural village and many people used it as their family church, despite living in the 'working' districts on the other side of what's now known as Telford. Loads of the graves say ' ...of Wrockwardine Wood', or '...of Oakengates'.   

The trouble with the Pickerings in that there were loads of them. I've mapped out every single Pickering family I can find in Telford, as far as I can go, and it's a confusing web. I'm really struggling to match cousins, aunts, uncles, siblings, etc once they grow up and produce their own families. Lots of Pickering families lived on the same streets (Pains Lane is mentioned a lot), even thought they do not seem to be connected. They are probably cousins. 

It's interesting that you share a DNA match with the Rigby family. Perhaps I am wrong, or perhaps there is another link? I'd be interested to hear of your research.
Thank you

Offline WOLVERHAMPTON HIGGS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 21:46 BST (UK) »
Ah, I have just re-read your post and notice that you descend from Ann, Allen's sister. Perhaps then, you are indeed related to that Ann, whose mother is Sarah Rigby! Her brother Allen is perhaps not my Allen - the one who moved to Kingwinford. Most of the people on Ancestry disagree with me about Allen's family, by the looks of it. Although, I have not posted my tree on there yet. I believe I am right!