Author Topic: Romany/Gypsy Camp in Birkenhead  (Read 26504 times)

Offline Martha1924

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Romany/Gypsy Camp in Birkenhead
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 October 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,Only just found this website.Iam trying to research my husbands family tree.My husbands grandmother was called Gertrude Taylor,born about 1884.She had a sister called Tidloo,we think that is how it is spelled.She was married to a man called Horace.I remember in the sixties they used to live in a caravan in the gypsy lane in Birkenhead,Wirral.Iwould love to hear from anyone who has any information.Thanks Martha 1924

Offline gypsyjac85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 December 11 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello i am from a Gypsies family the locks also the Boswell we have been trying to find out information but can't find any my nan was married to  Terence idris lock they had my mum and 7 other children  but he died in 1998  :'( his dad was called idris lock and he was married to  margret  ,idris father an mother were joseph lock an dorah boswell joseph father an mother was robert lock an sophar lock if any 1 has any photos an  any information please contact methanks.

Offline gypsyjac85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 January 12 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello i am from a Gypsies family the locks also the Boswell we have been trying to find out information but can't find any my nan was married to  Terence idris lock they had my mum and 7 other children  but he died in 1998  :'( his dad was called idris lock and he was married to  margret  ,idris father an mother were joseph lock an dorah boswell joseph father an mother was robert lock an sophar lock if any 1 has any photos an  any information please contact methanks.

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 January 12 16:54 GMT (UK) »

Hi gypsyjac85,

You might want to have a look at these and once you have posted three times on rootschat you will be able to contact Pughy by PM.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,310556.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=307159.0

Regards
Lyne
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline Boo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 August 13 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, i have been searching for a while and am quite new to the internet. i have been wondering about my family's history. my grandfather came from the slate mines in trws fynedd, snowdonia to work on the mersey tunnel. his ancestors originally from wexford in ireland. but my granmother's family came from a gypsie camp in lower tranmere.. I'm trying to find out where and when it was and is there any pictures. and any other information would be grateful.
i'm confused about my great grandmothers name. i was led to believe it was Barbra Supphire Brown and she worked in the Royal Standard House 'pub' in Rock Ferry and was quite a well known lady in the area. but there have been other names floated around for years.
i would be most grateful for any help, thanks Lou x

Offline Boo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 August 13 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi I believe her name as Barbars Safaia Brown. I am reading Safaia from her death cert but the writing id difficult. She married James Neil and lived in Bebington Wirral. She was born 12th January 1912 and died in December 1973.
She had 1 sister, Elizabeth, my grandmother. She was very beautiful with dark hair and eyes

Her mother I think was Caroline and they lived in Green Lane in Tranmere Birkenhead
Caroline's 1st husband was killed in the 1st world war and she later Married a "Sudlow" and had many Children

I hope this helps you

Offline phil driver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 July 15 23:24 BST (UK) »
hi i am excited to discover my granfather was a romany who moved to birkenhead ,rock ferry in the early 20th century.my mothers brother has told me quite a bit,but i am extremey interested to find out more . his name was joseph taylor born 1900 .he married a mary jordan in 1925 in birkenhead .uncle joe didnt know his grandparents christian names ,but does know they lived in the green lane flats.he said his grandfather was very rarely there.he said they had 21 children all together.apparently the tradition was the children moved out of the family home at the age of 12,to start there own lives.he did tell me the names of some of my grandads  brothers though .ted ,martin frank bill and who was known locally as paddy handcart .he sold papers at the woodside railway station

Offline phil driver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
i now discovered my great granfathers name was moses taylor and his wife was sarah

Offline PaulaCM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 March 19 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know if there were any Griffin's at the camp in Birkenhead.  Can't find out anything about my great x 3 grandmother before she married in 1878.  The 1881 census states that she was born in Birkenhead in 1855 but I can't find her on the 1861 or 1871 census.  Her name before she married was Annie Griffin.
Thanks