Author Topic: 1911 Census Discuss  (Read 3783 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census Discuss
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Matari

We are very lucky to be able to view them before the original date of 2012.

They will be on a subscription website later this year(possibly by the summer)

So if you object to paying a few punds to view them-far cheaper than the 1901 was when it was released-then people do have the option to wait till later this year.

I have paid to see my direct ancestors but will wait to view any stragglers until later ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nick 29 for your comments. If as you say the 1911 census details were acquired by Brightsolid would you be able to tell me on what basis this transaction was conducted. Were other companies invited to tender?

Yes, The contract was put out for tender.

Did National Archives receive payment for our records, if so how much? Why couldn’t National Archives do the transcriptions knowing it would be guaranteed to provide more than adequate financial returns? If it was beyond their expertise, which I doubt, could they not have employed a third party to do it for them? 

That is exactly what they did by putting the contract out for tender

At a time of dire economic times I would have thought a little bit of extra revenue would have been appreciated. It’s just the idea of some commercial enterprise acquiring public information and then charging us for the use of it that annoys me. Obviously they want to capitalize on their investment but to make it a pay as you view facility only is a real killer for those like me who would want to research a couple of hundred individuals and others in Scotland where a similar situation exists.

If you are so bothered about it why not take a trip to the National Archives (Kew) there you can view the census free of charge.
You only have to pay when using the online facilities paid for by the massive investment of brightsolid.
If you wish to use the census in the comfort of your home then it is only right you pay for that privilege.

I was quite clear in my earlier posting that the 100 year rule was only honorary but is this the only census that has been released in less than 100 years? Why?
Sorry but you are wrong.
Only six out of the 15 pre-1910 United Kingdom censuses were closed for 100 years. The details of nine out of 15 were released after less than 90 years. The average closure period for censuses in Britain is 80 years.
Given that the release of returns after 50 to 80 years was the practice in the first half of the last century, that no confidentiality time period was given on the 1911 census and that the Lord Chancellor's Instrument No. 12 of 1966 was 55 years away at that point, I would be very surprised if anyone who participated in that census really believed that their return would be held for exactly 100 years and not a day less.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Matari

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone, it looks like I stand corrected on a number of points. A trip to London is not a possibility due to expense and location problems. I still feel the powers that be have missed a great revenue opportunity. Where can I find out how much was paid to the nations coffers or is more likely that we gave it away at advantageous terms to Brightsolid. I think I'll wait until there is a subscription service available as my ancestors aren't going anywhere. Thanks again everyone it's nice to see that you are all on message. ;)
Watts,Eccleshall,Gregory,Dixon,Hadley,Hines,Skirving,Cameron.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:45 GMT (UK) »
it's nice to see that you are all on message. ;)

Hello Matari,

Guy is more 'on message' on this subject than most of the rest of us......it is because of him that we are able to see the 1911 census now rather than having to wait until 2012. http://www.rootschat.com/links/05go/

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancs.fox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether or not I'm on the right thread, but here goes anyway.

There are three things currently puzzling me about the 1911 census site:-

1.  When I look at My Records' for the entries already downloaded, there are 3 boxes - one of which says 'Update' but this does not appear currently to do anything when activated.  What does this box do?  Is this how we will get to see the extra pages (such as enumerators summaries) in due course?

2.  When I looked at the site's blog over the weekend there was an item dated, I think, 31 January.  That no longer appears.  This morning when I looked again the last entry was for 29 January, but under the archive list of months on the right of the page there was the month of February listed so I clicked on it and an entry for this month appeared - something to do with the slow running of the site due to codes used in activating some unspecified feature(s).  Now that entry, along with the month of February in the archive list, has also disappeared.  Does anyone know what is happening both with the blog and the main site?

3.  Not a puzzle, but does anyone know when the additional pages (including the enumerators summaries) are to be activated?

Thanks for reading this.

Fox (Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire); Stockton (Shropshire, Yorkshire); Moody (Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire); Kershaw (Yorkshire); Martyn (Cornwall); Barnacle (Warwickshire, Leicestershire), Cox (Staffordshire); Dunn (Staffordshire); Mitchell (Yorkshire); Evers (Yorkshire)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 23:27 GMT (UK) »
...... Where can I find out how much was paid to the nations coffers or is more likely that we gave it away at advantageous terms to Brightsolid....... 

I would think that the NA and Brightsolid would be a good place to start.  What makes you think that the NA "gave it away" ?   It's not the first time that the NA has worked with an oustide contractor in order to launch a census, and probably won't be the last.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 February 09 01:58 GMT (UK) »
TNA have information about licensing on their website

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/business/licensing.htm

Mean_genie

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 February 09 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Now I don't like spending any more than the next person.......but I can understand the 1911 Census charges. 

It must have cost a fortune to transcribe and digitise all the pages, not to mention developing and keeping the database running.   I doubt that cost is something the National Archive (ie the tax payer..) could have justified.  The company have invested a lot of money and I don't think it unreasonable they should be asking for payment. It's a little expensive at the moment but I perhaps that is partly to keep the demand down while they get up and running.   The cost will apparently come down for those who wait ;D..

And it is a British Company so not only is the National Archive getting income from their licence but the taxman will get his share of the fees too...

And - for a new database I don't think it's holding up too badly and there is actually quite a lot you can find out for free (more than many other databases).

It would be great if it was free of course...but so would a lot of things ;D ;D ;D

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 February 09 07:15 GMT (UK) »

1.  When I look at My Records' for the entries already downloaded, there are 3 boxes - one of which says 'Update' but this does not appear currently to do anything when activated.  What does this box do?  Is this how we will get to see the extra pages (such as enumerators summaries) in due course?

Update is the box you click on if you have a correction to tell them about.

Ie they've spelt a name wrong or put an age down incorrectly.

Sadly you only get to that box if you've viewed either the full image or a transcript.
So at the moment,even if we know if there's an error it is quite difficult(or expensive!) to tell them!

Carol

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk