Author Topic: SS Great Britain Passenger Lists  (Read 41559 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SS Great Britain Passenger Lists
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello MarieC

It is one of those frustrating situations  'you've found out something and that is he is not there'!

Not very comforting I know but it looks like he may have come on one of the missing passenger lists.

Is there a Rootschat 'angel' who would do a lookup in a paper of the time in Melbourne for you? There would be a finite time using the approx times of the other voyages so it wouldn't involve hours of searching. If the passenger list was mislaid later, the paper of the time would be the last resort. A ship like the SS G B would definitely be mentioned.

Happy hunting!!

Faith ::) ::) ::)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 February 09 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Good thinking, Faith!

Actually I am going to our State Library in a month with the Genealogy Group I belong to, and they have newspapers from most States on microfilm.  I'll have a look for it myself and see if it is there.  If I run out of time (I have a few things to do while there), I'll follow up the rest of your suggestion.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Pat3145

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 May 09 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there BARRIE GREEN! :)

WOuld you be kind enough to look in your book "Is yours an SS Great Britain Family?" to see if there was a William Henry Greaves on the voyage #21 (departed Liverpool 20 October 1861, arrived Melbourne 24 December 1861)? My grandmother often used to tell me that he father had come out with the All England 11 Cricketers, so I think he should be on that list??

I would appreciate anything you can to help me out with some information, as my Family Tree does not seem to go back any further than this until I get some more info!!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Patricia Anderson

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 May 09 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hello  ther Pat and welcome to rootschat

now  I  gather William Henry Greaves is your great grandfather? 
Do  you  have  his death in Victoria?

Where and when was your grandmother born?

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 May 09 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there Pat 3145
Sorry about this late reply but our computer has been with a wonderful son-in-law for a week transferring all our data to our new state of the art machine and we have just had it all set up to go-go!

There is only one GREAVES on the list = George aged 21 Labourer on voyage 31.

BUT - there is also only one William Grieves, aged 27, Labourer, on Voyage 21 with all the Travel details matching yours. No other Grieves at all. Sounds like yours. Let me know if you need to know more.

Faith Green :) :) :)

Offline hibbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 December 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I think the George Greaves you found might be my relation. Is there any chance you could send me the details you found? George Greaves was my Grandmother's brother (I think!) Cheers Jill

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 December 09 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

The only other information available from this book is that  Voyage No. 31 left Liverpool, England on 15 December 1867, it took 57 days to reach Melbourne and there were 512 passengers on board. Hope that will point the way to confirming data in shipping lists for you. Perhaps other family/friends went out with him, if so let me know and I'll look that up as well.
Cheers- :) :)  Faith Green

Offline hibbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 December 09 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info...however I have found out that my Samuel Greaves(born about 1882) was on the Runic which left Liverpool in 1911 and arrived in Albany, so therefore our dates don't match.I wonder if you have any info about this though? What happened when people got to Albany? Did they come out with a promise of a job?Is he mentioned on any of your lists? Cheers , Jill

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 December 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

The only other Greaves (or similar spelling) is J L Greaves, no age, no  occupation who was on voyage No. 9  which left L'pool 21 August 1852 and took 81 days to reach Melbourne and then went on to Sydney. This was the first trip to Australia by the S S Great Britain.

I am in New Zealand and have just the book "Is Yours An S S Great Britain Family?" but other Shipping data is available on N S W and Victorian websites. Try them as so much is available now.

Good Luck    Faith