Author Topic: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co  (Read 85557 times)

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
Re: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co
« Reply #126 on: Saturday 29 October 16 14:12 BST (UK) »
 :D many thanks for taking the trouble to look Shaun, I will fokkow that up.
I must say it's a while since I was 'doing' that side of the tree so I have not looked recently.

Crystal  :D

Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DSDunbar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Saturday 29 October 16 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hearsey/Salmon Discussion

Here, where I am able, are my responses to your questions:

For my own records it would be nice to know if you have the following information:

1. Looking at my notes for General William Broome Salmon (your great (x3) grandparent) I have no record of his death other than he retired to England.

Here is what I have:

Death: Smalbro, Norfolk, Eng
Burial: Feb 5 1843 - Norfolk, England
GS Film Number: 1526653
Digital Folder Number: 004143474
Image Number: 754

2. The daughter of General William Broome Salmon and Marion Hearsey (your great (x3) grandparents) died tragically in 1827 - I do not have and cannot find a date of birth for her?

I have 4 daughters and 4 sons listed for this couple.  Do you know which daughter?  Also, is it Marion or Marian?  I have been using the latter.

3. I believe Marion Hearsey (your great (x3) grandparent) was the child of Andrew Willson Hearsey and Charlotte Crane. It would appear that Andrew Willson Hearsey had a child by a Jat lady in 1782 five years before he married Charlotte this child was Hyder (Jung) Young Hearsey but I have never been able to find a name for the mother?

I have relied on this thread and the Pearse book for most of my information on Hyder, so unfortunately I am unable to shed any light on this mystery.

4. Lieut.-General William Broome Salmon and Sarah Welsh (your great(x2) grandparents) I believe from my notes had one child Mourdant Broome Salmon but I also have a note that Lieut.-General William Broome Salmon had 18 children one of them obviosly Alexander MacDonald Salmon.
Do you know the others? and were they all born to Sarah Walsh?

Here are the names & dates of 15 offspring of William & Sarah that I have discovered:

Marian (b: 30 May 1838 Poona, India; d: 7 Oct 1841)
Bellina Sophia (b: 24 Dec 1840 Deesa, Maharashira, India; d: 1928)
Maria (b: 2 Feb 1842 Deesa, Bombay, India: d: 11 Oct 1842)
Emma (b:9 Mar 1843 Benares, India; d: 12 Oct 1930)
Sara Rose (b: 6 Apr 1843, At Sea; d: 22 Jun 1911)
Emily "Matilda" (b: abt 1846 India)
William Harry (b: 2 Feb 1848 Bombay, India; d: 6 Apr 1939)
(Unknown) (b: 25 Sep 1849 Bombay, India)
Alexander MacDonald (b: 30 Oct 1850 Neilgherries, India; d: 1914)
Arthur Welsh (b:2 Apr 1852 Bombay, India)
Mordaunt Broome (b: 17 Oct 1853 Bombay India)
Mary Eliza (b: 3 Sep 1855 Bombay, India)
Elizabeth (b: 16 Oct 1856 Kurrachee, India; d: 17 Dec 1856)
Charlotte Evangeline (b 10 Mar 1859 Bombay, India; d: 21 Apr 1861)
Agnes (b: 20 Jul 1860 Coonoor, Tamil Nadu, India;)

5. Other than her name I have no details whatsoever of Sarah Walsh, do you know anymore?

Sarah Welsh (b: Jan 8 1817; d: Jan 27 1900) was the daughter of James Welsh (1775-1861) and Sarah Light (1779-1839).  Sarah Light was the daughter of Captain Francis Light (1740-1794) and Martinha Rozalles (1762-1822).  Francis Light was the founder & Governor of Penang.  He also had a son, brother to Sarah, named William Light (1786-1839) who founded and designed Adelaide Australia.  There is much to be found on the internet about William and Francis Light.  I believe the National Portrait Gallery in London has a painting of William Light, although not on display.

I hope this information is useful.  I had problems with the size of attachments to this post and so will provide some images and photos shortly.

>>>>>>>>

Although 'my' side of the tree follows the Hearsey/Bradshawe line it is interesting to 'put meat on the bones' so to speak.

If I can help you in any way please let me know.
I will look forward to hearing form you as I am sure followers of this thread will do also.

Regards

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Saturday 29 October 16 18:52 BST (UK) »

I don't think that's the right death. There was only one William Salmon death in that RD (Tunstead) in that quarter. Per the burial register (Parish of Smallbro, in the Workhouse) that William Salmon was aged 83 and was a resident of the Smallbro' workhouse.

The death duty register for 1844 records that William Broome Salmon was a resident of Bengal, India.

The 1842 will gives his address as Titchfield Terrace,  Regents Park
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DSDunbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Saturday 29 October 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
On checking I see that you are correct.  Wrong William Salmon.

I don't think that's the right death. There was only one William Salmon death in that RD (Tunstead) in that quarter. Per the burial register (Parish of Smallbro, in the Workhouse) that William Salmon was aged 83 and was a resident of the Smallbro' workhouse.

The death duty register for 1844 records that William Broome Salmon was a resident of Bengal, India.

The 1842 will gives his address as Titchfield Terrace,  Regents Park

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Saturday 29 October 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you both once again,

I also think you are right about the death Shaun!

Don, to answer your question 2 Sorry yes it is Marian not Marion, I believe
as for their children I only have the boys - William Broome Salmon b.1809, George Paris Salmon b.1813, Harry Hearsey b.1821 and Mordaunt Money b.1823 the only girl I have listed is Marian who drowned in 1827 (no date of birth) Can I ask you for the other daughters names and DOB?

thanks also for the 15 out of 18 offspring in question 4, great I shall check them out and let you know in due course if I happen to turn up any more!  ::)

Great infornation about Sarah Walsh so thank you again!
Cardy - Surrey

Offline RosieThomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Saturday 29 October 16 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Crystal

I can add two more daughters of Gen William Broome Salmon and Marian (nee Hearsey):

- Emma Amelia Salmon b 10 Mar 1818 East Indies: d 16 Dec 1906 Paddington London. Married John Reynolds Gwatkin on 27 Feb 1841 at Kurnaul, Bengal, India. I have five children of the marriage thugh there may have been more.

-  Charlotte Maria Salmon b 10 Feb 1816 Chertsey, Surrey d 18 Feb 1896 Brighton Sussex. Married (1) in 1835 Frederick White Burkinyoung. Five children of whom who died in infancy (2) In 1843 Arthur Samuel Mills. Two sons of the marriage - William Salmon Mills and Arthur McLeod Mills.
Charlotte is my husband's gg grandmother.

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Sunday 30 October 16 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

Nice to hear from you and thank you for those two, I will add them to my 'to do' list which has grown a bit longer today!
I can see I will have to get back to that side of the tree.

Kind Regards
Cardy - Surrey

Offline DSDunbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Sunday 30 October 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crystal

I'm afraid I have only the following partial information on the daughters of William Salmon and Marian Hearsey.  Also, I was incorrect in my count - I have info on 3 daughters and not 4 (I had originally included a daughter-in-law)

Marion Salmon (b: 1811 India)
Charlotte Maria Salmon (b: Feb 10 1816 Chertsey, Surrey UK)
Emma Amelia Salmon (b: 1818? India)

And yes, I have the daughter as "Marion" and not "Marian."  I don't know which is correct although Marian seems more likely, I suppose.

The photo is of my great-grandfather Alexander MacDonald Salmon taken in India in the late 1800s I believe

Don

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Sunday 30 October 16 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don,

Thank you so much for posting that great picture of your Great Grandfather and the polo pony its wonderful to see these old pictures isn't it?
Its amazing that so many old photographs still exist, I am so sad that I do not know what happened to those that I remember from my childhood that were in the family album.

The daughters you mention would seem to be the same as Rosie posted below so I am sure they are correct, perhaps there were only 3 Girls which is more than I had listed!

Hi Crystal

I can add two more daughters of Gen William Broome Salmon and Marian (nee Hearsey):

- Emma Amelia Salmon b 10 Mar 1818 East Indies: d 16 Dec 1906 Paddington London. Married John Reynolds Gwatkin on 27 Feb 1841 at Kurnaul, Bengal, India. I have five children of the marriage thugh there may have been more.

-  Charlotte Maria Salmon b 10 Feb 1816 Chertsey, Surrey d 18 Feb 1896 Brighton Sussex. Married (1) in 1835 Frederick White Burkinyoung. Five children of whom who died in infancy (2) In 1843 Arthur Samuel Mills. Two sons of the marriage - William Salmon Mills and Arthur McLeod Mills.
Charlotte is my husband's gg grandmother.

Cardy - Surrey