Author Topic: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co  (Read 85515 times)

Offline Mhindee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co
« Reply #135 on: Sunday 16 July 17 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hello, this is my first post. I was looking for information on my husband's family and found this most wonderful conversation with photographs of my husband's grandmother Ruby Harriet Hearsey and her family. My mother-in-law says that the parents in the photograph are her grandparents Neville (possibly Theophilus) Hearsey  and Evelyn  Anderson .  Evelyn was red-haired and from Scotland . Ruby's daughter, my mother-in-law Patricia, is still alive and living in California. She was born and raised in India with two younger sisters  and one younger brother. She married Norman Charles Jefferys  of Taunton Massachusetts  when he was stationed  abroad . My husband was born in 1946 in Madras India and has 2 younger sisters. They lived in India and Sri Lanka until around 1963 when they moved to Pelham New York. I have heard the stories from the family of the Indian blood. And was fascinated to find more information here. Patricia is now 95 years old and still exceptionally brilliant. She has many stories to tell about the family, and has some history as well. I will try to introduce her to this forum, though her relationship with technology is an uneasy one . Please feel free to ask me any questions that I might ask of her in aid of more recent Hearsey family information. I took the liberty of downloading the photographs of Ruby and sending them to her this evening. She was delighted! There are some very interesting and amazing stories about Ruby that Patricia, being a writer, has memorialized. This is all very exciting! :-)

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I just saw the photo on your thread of my grandfather, Duncan Hearsey. I visited Yercaud in 99, but didn't find any remaining relatives, or the house, Fairlawns, which my grandad used to talk about. He loved telling me stories about India. I think part of him never left.

Pleased to read this. My in laws the Short family had coffee plantations in Yercaud. Lived in Hope villa

Offline mariede

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Friday 01 June 18 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Mhindee, I haven't posted anything for a few years and just saw your message to crystal light. reading your message, I realised that your mother-in-law Patricia would be my cousin as her mother Ruby and my father Stuart Hearsey were brother and sister. trying to work out that Aunty Ruby was about 22 when she had Patricia and your husband must be a second cousin. I have reconnected with quite a few cousins and such a shame that we didn't know about any of Aunty Ruby's children. I am in Australia and visit cousins from England, Aunty Eillien's children whom Patricia would remember and Uncle Duncan's children who Patricia would also know. We have family all around the world which is fantastic. I am a daughter of Stuart Hearsey ( I am now 67 )  Aunty Ruby's brother, who died in 1979. We did know Aunty Ruby but very distant memories, I was born in India with a sister and brother and went, with all the rest of our aunties and uncles to England but only have distant memories of most of them. so sad that we probably will never get to meet this cousin Patricia but shall tell all the other cousins in the UK about her and maybe we can write to her. if you want any other information, I shall send it to you via an email.  I can tell you about some of us but am advising that you are cautious about contacting the provider of the photos that you saw earlier on.

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Friday 01 June 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
I received this yesterday from Joshua Mathew (Josh Historian on this thread) from India with whom I have been in contact for several years now. I thought it may be of interest to those with Hearsey and Anderson roots. The book he has written is the extraordinary story of Donald Anderson, son of author Kenneth Anderson and there are certain links to the Hearsey family.

My book 'The Last White Hunter' is now available in the UK (both print and electronic versions).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LAST-WHITE-HUNTER-Reminiscences-colonial/dp/9385509128/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527741534&sr=8-1&keywords=the+last+white+hunter

It will shortly appear in the magazine 'Who Do You Think You Are', and also in the FIBIS and BACSA newsletters.
But I'm counting on a few ideas from my Hearsey genealogy friend to spread the word in the UK (or anywhere outside India)
The Hearsey's have a small mention in my book (thanks to you) so one idea would definitely to include this on the RootsChat thread where we met each other. I've written to lostcousins.com, and I hope they will mention my book.

Any other ideas ? I would be most thankful.

Crystal  :D

Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lightheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Friday 11 January 19 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Crystal, I am looking for the Parents of Sarah Ann Hearsey/Hersey, she is my Grandmother who Married a Military man, my Grandfather P. D'Sylva in, I think, Bangalore, in 1894? they had eight children, four survived them. I have my DNA results and I am closely matched with the Hearsey Family who went to Mass., America, from England, I have sent a message and had a reply with a positive action to search and give me more information. My Grandmother had a brother who visited her in Bangalore around 1933,my eldest sister remembers the visit and being introduced to uncle Charlie?
My Grandmother Sarah Ann was born in 1872/73, she died in 1941 in Bangalore, India, my mother, who was the 7th child was born in an Army tent in Bellary, India in 1904. I would be so grateful for any information you could give me to enlighten me who Sarah Ann’s Parents were and which line of the Hearsey Family in India she belongs to. Thank you. Lightheart(username)

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Saturday 12 January 19 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lightfoot and welcome to the thread,
There is a lot of Hearsey information here on this thread if you read through, I have looked at my offline tree and can only come up with one Sarah who was the daughter of Andrew Hearsey (Bengal Army) the Captain of an East Indiaman and the brother of Theophilus, an influential London Merchant, died in 1778 leaving one daughter and one son, Andrew Wilson Hearsey who had obtained a cadetship on the Bengal establishment in 1765.
Andrew's wife was Jane nee Cole but their daughter Sarah was born in England - Christening 17 November 1757 at St Botolph by Billingsgate so I imagine no match to yours. It would seem that most of 'my' Hearseys later settled back or had connections in England.
So many of the Hearseys were in India at that time I think very hard to trace without more information.
I hope that someone reading this may be able to help you, good luck with your search.

Crystal  :)
Cardy - Surrey

Offline Lightheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Sunday 03 February 19 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Crystal i have just read a post by John Hersey, it is interesting that he spells his surname the same way as my Grandmother Sarah Ann, as you know I have done my DNA and am linked with the Hearsey Family, but I am female not male. I would be willing to make contact with John Hersey especially as I am a descendent of the Anglo Indian Hersey Family and was born in India. I have been searching for a few years without finding much but since I have done my DNA, I am finding more. Hope it will be possible to link up with John Hersey.

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Sunday 03 February 19 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lightheart,

I hope that your search for John Hersey will be successful. The DNA results must also help with your search.

Good Luck
 :) Crystal
Cardy - Surrey

Offline Jeanie (Dunbar)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Monday 15 June 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
May I introduce myself?  I m the great-great-granddaughter of Lt.-Gen. William Broome Salmon and Sarah Salmon (born Welsh); their seventh child, Alexander MacDonald Salmon, was my great-grandfather.
I am always awed by the magic of the computer and the internet to connect far-flung descendants!  I am a Canadian:  Alexander's youngest daughter Marjorie was my paternal grandmother.