Author Topic: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co  (Read 85323 times)

Offline ninothedog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi - Excuse my jumping into your conversation. I am interested in finding out if there is any connection between the Hearsey family and the Hersey and Hercy families. Are there any male Hearseys descended from the Anglo-Indian family? If so, would they be interested in taking a yDNA test to see if they match the Hersey family? (yDNA is passed unchanged from father to son only.) -- William Hersey (aka Hercy, Hearsey and Hearsay) came to America in 1635 in the company of people from Hingham, Norfolk and is probably a member of the Hercy family of Notts although he himself was from Reading, Berks. The Hersey/Hersy/Hearsey/etal family was well documented and pretty spread out. It would be fun to see if there were any connection with your family and mine. - The yDNA test is about $100 and we could help with or cover the expense if someone were interested in taking part. Thanks. - John Hersey
Hersey, Hercy, Hersee, Hearsey etc.

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome John,

How interesting, I believe there will be male descendants from the Anglo-Indian family but I am not unfortunately in contact with any  :( But I will be watching this space. I do hope you are successful in this.

I can only trace the Hearseys involved in my line back to Theophilus Hearsey who took up arms in the battle of Culloden 1735 (?) before he and his two sons fled to Holland, part of the family retuning to London some years later.
I have not been able to trace them before or in Culloden maybe I will try alternative spelling.

Good Luck
Crystal  :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ninothedog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Crystal,

Thanks for your reply and good luck with your search under other spellings. I did notice in the Intro. to the 5 generations of Hearseys book that a Mr. Hersey was thanked for his contribution to sorting out the various branches of the family, so, presumably, we are one family.

I'm in touch with a Hersey in London whose family lore has it that they're Gypsies, seriously, and I have found a Hersey in an old English census listed as Gypsy (actually, another word, which escapes me, which meant Gypsy.) I've wondered if this family is actually descended from the Anglo-Indian family and forgotten their true roots. Anyway, since they don't know their pedigree, their yDNA results wouldn't mean much.

I also wrote to a woman, via Facebook, who is descended from the Hearseys, but she didn't reply. Would you be she? She uses "Round" as part of a pseudonym.

I'll let you know if I get any leads.

John
Hersey, Hercy, Hersee, Hearsey etc.

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry John, she is not me! on Facebook.

I am in touch with another descendant of the Hearseys but slightly sideways in the tree.

Yes please let me know if you find out anything.

Cardy - Surrey

Offline Stetson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hallo! Crystal ; Forgot this link when posting earlier (and remembered only now because I ws looking up this source for some other purpose).

It is Vol 2 of the monumental 5 volume "Historical Records of the Survey of India by Col Reginald Phillimore, D SO, all of 2000+ pages in the 5 volumes but engrossing. totally absorbing for those with an interest in such things. Vol 5, by the way, is not to be found as it is believed to contain some sensitive info re India's northern borders (I am sure there may be nothing terribly secret about that info, seeing it relates to 1873 latest but that is bureaucracy for you). Even the other 4 volumes can only be accessed on line at this link (and Vol 5 at the BL and the Royal Geog Soc).

Enjoy!!!

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello again Stetson,

Once again thanks for this link. I will be kept busy with all this reading! Especially as I am very busy with work etc. at the moment, so I will read shortly.

Thank you   :D
Cardy - Surrey

Offline HarrietEliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 17 September 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this site so apologies now for any mistakes. I am a Hearsey descendant and have been researching the family for years. I have been reading your chats and now have decided to join in. My cousin is a male Hearsey for the person who was interested in genes, I won't post his name but he is an AH for all those in the know. I have a picture of the Princess Hyder married and various books that I have collected over the years.

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 17 September 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome HarriettEliza,

May I say I am very glad that you have joined in!

I know you are unable to send a private message until you have 2 or 3 posts on Rootschat, not sure if the same applies to me sending you one   :-\  I will try sending my email address but if you do not receive it that will be why!

I would love to hear if your findings match up with mine (you may have some to add?) and I would love to see the picture of Princess Hyder.
You may be able to clarify some of the things in this topic anyway.

I am VERY busy for the next two weeks and then away for a week in Scotland so I will only be keeping half an eye on Rootschat

So I look forward to hearing from you in the near future

Cardy - Surrey

Offline jlewis6537

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 02 October 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
Interesting... I'm descended from James Hearsey (coachman) and Mary Elliott married 1796, with children Henry 1798 Newbury Berks; Mary 1800 Newbury; Charles 1806 Chelsea; Mary Elliott 1807 Islington.

Their great grandchildren (my great grandmother and her sister) were dark, and my family called them "Spanish". The sister's nickname was "Little Gypsy".

I've been searching for the gypsy, Spanish, or even Indian (following your train of thought) connection, to no avail.

Have you found anything more?

Judy (California)
Reynolds, Knight, Brooks, Hearsey, Elliott, Nicholls, Braid, Ellington (England & Scotland)
Lewis, Putnam, Demory, Mason (US)