Author Topic: Robertson Payne Children  (Read 1241 times)

Offline MerRhosyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robertson Payne Children
« on: Tuesday 03 February 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi All -

Trying to find out more about the half siblings and step mother of my grandfather, James Robertson. 

He was born in Glasgow on Dec 21, 1921.  His parents were James McDuff (or MacDuff) Robertson and Isabella Simmonds, who married on Oct 8, 1920 in Glasgow.  James McDuff was born on Oct 18, 1899 in Perth, Parish of Little Dunkeld.

James McDuff and Isabella divorced in 1938-1939 according to the NAS.  By looking at his death certificate, I have learned that he remarried to a Jean Christian Payne.  I believe he had moved back to Perth by this time.  When he died he lived at 11 South William Street, Perth.  They had four children according to their obituaries (in the Perthshire Advertiser and Courier), Jean, May, Martin, and John/Johnny (no last names provided).  I believe Jean Christian Payne was married to someone with the last name Pederson before marrying James McDuff.

At any rate, I have no details about when James McDuff and Jean married and nothing about any of their children.

Would appreciate any tips you can provide!  Thanks!

Perthshire: Robertson, Heggie, Cattanach, Buchan, Ferguson, Moor, McCulloch, McEwen, Baxter, Jack, Taylor, Guthrie, Martin
Lanarkshire: Purdon, Risk, Waters, Gentles, Pollock, Fergus, Lapslie, Young
Kent: Burt, Pratt, Salmon/Sanham, Packman, Back, Jewiss, Best, Odd, Baker, Stevenson, Parkins, Brown, Page, Stone, Fielder
Wiltshire: Kellow, Ewens, Stevens, Lampard, Mead, Toomer
Essex: Clark, Fowler, Speller
Hampshire: Simmonds, Whettam, Peaty, Butler, Swan, Rogers, Keech

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson Payne Children
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I would suggest you could try and view the death certificate of Jean Christian Payne as it should list other surnames used, and if it was registered by one of her children it would tell you what surname they were using.

A trip to the GRO in Edinburgh might be the next step if possible as you can view things there that will not be available online for some time.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline MerRhosyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I know that the daughter Jean became Jean Kerr, as she is the informant on James McDuff's death certificate.  James McDuff died in 1987 and his wife Jean in 1984.  I would assume that James is the informant on Jean's certificate...although I agree that it would most likely list the name of a first spouse, if there was one.

Unfortunately I live in the US, which is part of the reason why it is taking a long time to figure out some of these details :-)
Perthshire: Robertson, Heggie, Cattanach, Buchan, Ferguson, Moor, McCulloch, McEwen, Baxter, Jack, Taylor, Guthrie, Martin
Lanarkshire: Purdon, Risk, Waters, Gentles, Pollock, Fergus, Lapslie, Young
Kent: Burt, Pratt, Salmon/Sanham, Packman, Back, Jewiss, Best, Odd, Baker, Stevenson, Parkins, Brown, Page, Stone, Fielder
Wiltshire: Kellow, Ewens, Stevens, Lampard, Mead, Toomer
Essex: Clark, Fowler, Speller
Hampshire: Simmonds, Whettam, Peaty, Butler, Swan, Rogers, Keech

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I see your problem, it's not like you can pop in at the weekend!

Maybe someone here will recognise the names and get in touch, you might get lucky  ;)

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman