Author Topic: Looking for Amos Hoppo  (Read 2758 times)

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for Amos Hoppo
« on: Wednesday 04 February 09 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I am looking for  " Amos Hoppo ",   it is said in the family he was born in Ceylon,     but left on a Ship  with
  Govenor McQuarie    for Australia & arrived there in 1809.

I am truly stuck,   can anyone help or give me ideas on how to go about finding information  please,
  I thought the name Hoppo  may have originated more from Germany, but then I may be wrong
                        Clare

suggett    London
jones        Glamorgan,   Wales
Smith        London
Thompson   Cambridge and London
Alder           Gloucester
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester
Holder          Gloucester

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Amos Hoppo
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 09 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Presumably 'McQuarie' is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachlan_Macquarie

NSW archives says that Lachlan Macquarie arrived at Port Jackson on the Dromedary on 28 December 1809. Perhaps you could find a list of other passengers?

What records do you have for him in Australia? I.e. marriage, children, death, etc.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 09 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Here is a little bit more about the Dromedary:

http://www.lib.mq.edu.au/digital/lema/1809/sydgaz31dec1809.html

I don't think there were any free passengers on board - could your Amos  have been a military man?

Prue

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 February 09 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replys and help,   it was always said in the family that Amos was a servant of Lachlan McQuarie & always wore a turban,  and was born  in "Kandy, Ceylon "
 I have him remaining in Australia, settling in Adelaide, he had a son Paul in 1836, I have never found a marriage or wife for Amos, on all the records, census, Amos is alone with Paul,  so I have the family after Paul was born,  but  nothing on Amos before that.
I cannot find him down as a servant or soldier or on any Ship,  I have hit a brick wall.

suggett    London
Smith        London
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 February 09 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Any death for Amos at all?  Just trying to think of ways to confirm his ID...If he was a servant of Macquarie I'd expect him to show up in the Colonial Secretary's papers somewhere, but i can't find any mention. 

Have you looked into the regiment that was on the Dromedary with Macquarie?  1st Battalion of 73rd Regiment of Foot.  UK National Archives should have some records for them...or you could ask on the Armed Forces board here on Rootschat before you go looking  :)

Also, have you considered that he may have emigrated directly to South Aus?  Might be worth asking on the Australia board for someone to check SA shipping indexes for him.

Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 February 09 02:42 GMT (UK) »
P.S.  INterestingly, found this snippet about Macquarie and the 73rd:

On 25th April 1805 Macquarie sailed for India where he was advanced to the rank of lieutenant colonel in the 73rd Regiment. After serving in northern India until 1806 he undertook to return to Britain carrying government despatches.

(http://www.hawkesburyhistory.org.au/articles/macquarie.html)

Offline clare

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 February 09 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pru,   
that is really good , I will check with the Nationalarchives, & have saved the website you found, it's  really interesting,
 when we left England in 1958 we lived in NSW for awhile, I have a few cousins still living there
suggett    London
Smith        London
Arundell      Gloucester
Hobbs        Gloucester

Offline Eliza-Beth

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
Clare, did you ever find out any more? I'm doing my family name and we're directly descended from Amos (I'm 6th generation). I was told some things from my father Robert Gregory Hoppo. I managed to get the marriage certificate of Paul and Miranda, and the birth certificate of their grandson Charles 1893- 1959 (my grandfather) who was born in Adelaide. He married a German girl called Gretchen Wischnewski. My father always used to say that his great grandfather came here from India and was the footman of Governor Lachlan Macquarie. But apart from repeating that fact he never really expanded upon it. I was wondering how your research went?