Author Topic: Margaret ? 1877 'Sale Nr Manchester'  (Read 7831 times)

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret ? 1877 'Sale Nr Manchester'
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 February 09 00:13 GMT (UK) »
I came back to have another look, very intriquing and frustrating.  ;D

Looking at the first letters it could indeed strat with  'Sh' or  'Sl' of even 'Th' ( the writer, in other words he writes, does not finish the letters fully. The next letter looks like a or o I wondered it it could start with 'Thom. ?  Thomset?

There is a place to look up names and where they are most clustered in censuses.

http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk 

Thomsett seems to be clustered south of London
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline windeatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 February 09 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for still puzzling over this . . . I have updated the page and added in all the suggested names in case anyone who may actually know of her does a search.  I think I lean towards SHERRET (or a variant thereof) because there seem to be a lot in the area born around that time.  I don't know why but I feel a bit sorry for her all bundled up in her great big coat. 

http://www.windeatt.f2s.com/foundfotos/margaret.htm

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 February 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
My young friend reckons it says Stournet :-\

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 February 09 18:44 GMT (UK) »
She does look a bit overwhelmed by the coat. It seems unusual to have her so covered up for a photo. It makes me think that someone, if not Margaret  herself, was quite proud of her outfit and wanted to show it off. Perhaps it had just been made or bought for her.

Is the cut or style of the coat unusual for that time? I don't think I have seen many photos of people wearing coats. I remember reading somewhere that ladies  did not wear coats that much in the past, but had capes and shawls instead . Perhaps one of her relatives was a tailor with a brand new idea for young girls'  fashion and was using her as advertising . :)
 Perhaps the photographer was trying new and creative ways of presenting his subjects to show prospective customers that all photographs do not have to be posed in traditional ways.

I wish we could find out about her. Maybe she was not born in Sale but was just visiting.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.