Author Topic: Fisherbriggs, Pitsligo Completed Thank You  (Read 4644 times)

Offline noz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fisherbriggs, Pitsligo Completed Thank You
« on: Wednesday 04 February 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
James Laing, Farmer, Fisherbriggs, Pitsligo died 2nd January 1898 aged 82.
Names associated with him are Henderson, Bruce, Thomson, Barclay and Mundie that l know of.
Does anyone have information or photos of Fisherbriggs? Is it still in the Laing family? Thank you

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fisherbriggs, Pitsligo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I take it that you have a copy of his will - 4 pages and extract of inventory, 5 pages - available from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - at £5 each?

Regards,    Steve :O)

Update:  Have done a simple Internet search and have sent you address and tel no: of the current owners.

If you want to see what the area looked like at the time go to the National Library for Scotland website and use the 6 in to 1 mile  Google overlay maps:

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

Pick up Fraserburgh in the NE of Scotland as you zoom down into the map, next pick up Rosehearty and as you close in on Roseheraty look for Peathill - you'll find Fisherbriggs just to the south west of Peathill.  The maps will change as you change the scale of the map.

Give it a try if you haven't before   :O)

The Family name which I sent you definitely owns the farm now as I've found a link online to a planning refusal for a family member to build on a distant part of the farm.  Your pm box was full so I couldn't send you a message.

Offline noz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fisherbriggs, Pitsligo
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 February 09 13:30 GMT (UK) »
What a great site this is! Wasn't expecting a reply so promptly. Thank you.

Completed

Offline sandie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fisherbriggs, Pitsligo Completed Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandad Nathaniel Mutch, from New Pitsligo, was working at Fisherbriggs in the 1901 census- he was illegitimate, but his father was later named as William Hepburn, from either new Pitsligo or Pitsligo/Tyrie...still trying to find that out, and who his parents were, so I can follow the Hepburns...any help would be great!! Nathaniel's mum was Isabella Mutch, from New Pitsligo.

In 1901, Fisherbriggs was headed by Elsie Laing, the widow. There was a companion, a domestic servant and a cattle man, as well as my G Grandad, who sadly died in the Great War.

Kind regards,
Sandra Mutch. (Although I think we should really have the surname Hepburn!!)
Originated in Aberdeen- Mutch. Researching Mutch, Scott and Hepburn, all Tyrie / New Pitsligo.

Also- McKnockiter (Buckie/Burghead/) and McLeod, (borne of McLeod/McRae,) Stornoway.

and...Mark and Bannerman (Huntly/Banff.)

Offline Philke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 September 19 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Noz
I have just discovered your query on Rootschat 10 years ago mentioning James Laing, Farmer, Fisherbriggs, Pitsligo died 2nd January 1898 aged 82.
Names associated with him are Henderson, Bruce, Thomson, Barclay and Mundie.

I am researching several of those families and in particular John Mundie who was born in Rosehearty Pitsligo in 1880. If you have any information about any of these families, I'd be keen to exchange what I have.
Thanks Phil

Offline judithteacake

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Fisherbriggs, Pitsligo Robert Burnett
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
Robert Burnett and Jane Gavin are my second great-grandparents. They are buried in Peathill Kirkyard Rosehearty, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The inscriptions notes Fisherbriggs after his name. The following is the inscription:

BY THIS FAMILY  IN LOVING MEMORY OF  THEIR FATHER  ROBERT BURNETT (FISHERBRIGGS)  BORN 1826 DIED 1899  ALSO  THEIR MOTHER  JANE GAVIN  BORN 1831 DIED 1902

I am new to this site. I would like to include a photo of the headstone which mentions Fisherbriggs. Please let me know if this is an option.

Does anyone have a connection to Robert Burnett?

Thank you,

Judith Nicholson

Offline Philke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 20 04:08 BST (UK) »
I've just completed a fairly comprehensive review of my daughter-in-law's ancestral links to Fisherbriggs. James Briggs owned the farm and lived there from around 1850 until his death in 1898. His wife Elsie (nee WILLOX) stayed on there until her death in 1903 at which time the farm was sold and proceeds split between their four sons. She was joint executor of the estate with their son William who had established himself on a farm at Braco Park near Rosehearty. Their granddaughter Elsie BRUCE married John MUNDIE who was born in Rosehearty in 1880 and they emigrated to Australia in 1911. John MUNDIE returned to Europe to serve in WW1 and after the war he spent 3 months working with William LAING (his wife's uncle) at his farm in Braco Park. I'd be happy to amplify these details for anyone interested.