Author Topic: McClune - Dunrod  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
McClune - Dunrod
« on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I have mentioned the McClunes before in various posts about McMurrie/McMurray and related families, but am now ready to 'dig deeper' and would appreciate any contributions to unravelling some puzzles!

To recap: James McClune Abt 1688 - 1750 and his wife Janet Meiklemean 1690 -1775 are buried in the old Dunrod parish kirkyard, along with several other members of the family. They were at Little Kirkland and Mulloch area.  An Alexander McClune 1679- 1759 is also buried there, and could be a brother of James.  The McClunes and Meiklemeans are recorded as being Covenanters and were apparently in the SW of Scotland prior to the dates on the gravestones.

James McClune and Janet Meiklemean's children are:

Samuel 1724 -1786 married Sarah Coltherd/Coltart (my ancestral line - have researched)
Elizabeth 1724 married Solomon Wilkinson (have researched)
Alexander 1726 - 1752 married Nicholas Gordon (he died a year after their marriage and it is believed she remarried to Robert McClellan and immigrated to America)(some research)
James 1731 - ? married Marion Carson (researching)
William 1740 - 1812 Auchincairn/ Rerrick possibly married Janet Haugh (researching)

Also in Kirkcudbright at that time (pre 1855) were other McClunes who I have not been able to connect to 'my' McClunes, and would appreciate help with!

In particular:

Alexander McClune who married Helen Thomson 22/11/1781 (was he a brother of Samuel below?)

Samuel McClune married Mary Thomson 13/08/1774 (his son Thomas McClune 1788-1822 married Agnes Cochrane in 1805. Gravestone in Kirkcudbright. Agnes went to America with their son Samuel 1830-1893 d. Bridgeport, Connecticut, and she died in New York. Samuel Jr,s name changed to McLean.)

Samuel McClune married Mary Thomson 31/07/1805 Crossmichael (who were this Samuel's parents???) They had 17 children!

Patrick McClune married Helen Hannay 11/10/1759
Edward McClune married Marion McCaig 28/11/1758
Dunbar McClune - nothing known

James McClune married Margaret McCartney 21/10/1782
James McClune married Margaret McCartney 11/12/1794 ???

I'd be happy to share what I have with others researching the McClunes, and also help find possible connections for descendants in the USA who believe their roots are in SW Scotland - not Ireland.

Thank you!!
Scatza

McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa