Author Topic: Does anyone know a house called 'Corrin' in Castletown?  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Chrissy13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone know a house called 'Corrin' in Castletown?
« on: Friday 06 February 09 01:08 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother used to holiday with family who lived in Castletown.  Her parents came from there and their relatives all lived in Malew and Marown.  I'm hoping that someone may be able to shed light on where they lived.  In the photo Ida is standing in the path of her grandparent's home, next to a house called 'Corrin'.  Does anyone recognise where this house is?

Thanks

Tulip
Researching Hulse, Sleigh, Parr, Pye, (Cheshire)
Researching Sayce, Sleigh/Sleath (Shropshire)
Researching Cannell, Curphey, Leyland, Kelly (IOM)
Researching Smith, Vickery (Cork and Bantry, Co Cork, Ireland)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know a house called 'Corrin' in Castletown?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 09 23:47 GMT (UK) »
The   name   "Corrin" on  the   fanlight   window  of  the   vestibule  of  this   house  means  that this    was   the  surname  of  the  owner  or  tenant  who  ran  this   guest  house.  [  Boarding  House  was  the  Manx  description.]

Sorry  can't   identify  the  house.  The  surname  will   have  been  scraped  off   the   glass  when  there  was  a  change
of  ownership  &   so   we   need  to  look   for  a  doorway /path  etc of  that  design  to  try  identify  the   house.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 February 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Castletown had relatively few boarding houses - the lettering on the fanlight looks pre WW1 (somewhat Art Noveau + reminds me of Archibald Knox's lettering - look up on www.manxnotebook.com) . Judging from shadow the house was south facing - in 1904 there was a boarding house in Victoria Road run by a Mrs Corrin - use the 1911 census to locate - Victoria road was to north of old part of Castletown and dated from end of 19th C.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 February 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Cannot   find   any   Corrins  in   Victoria   Road   in   1901  although  Castletown  had     crowds  of  them.

1911  census  for   Isle  of   Man   not   yet   available.

Offline Chrissy13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 February 09 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for the information.  I emailed the IOM posties too!  They are working on it and so far have said the same - the Corrin name was probably the name of the people living there.  I'll let you know..... 

I think that the photo was taken about 1922 so maybe the Corrin's had left by that stage or maybe had arrived between 1901 (your look up, Voirrey - thanks!) and 1922.  I'll await the 1911 census as you suggest, Frances.

Thanks again for your help,

Tulip
Researching Hulse, Sleigh, Parr, Pye, (Cheshire)
Researching Sayce, Sleigh/Sleath (Shropshire)
Researching Cannell, Curphey, Leyland, Kelly (IOM)
Researching Smith, Vickery (Cork and Bantry, Co Cork, Ireland)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 February 09 00:23 GMT (UK) »
If   the  Corrin   neighbours   had  left  the   next   occupant   would   have     scraped   the   gold  leaf  or   yellow  paint

off  the  internal   glass  ----as   I   did   at   my   house---no   need  to  replace  the  fanlight window.  A    house  name

would  have   been  kept   but   not   a   surname.   From   the  evidence  of   shoes  etc similar  to those in  my family

photos   I   believe your date may be  later  than   1922.