Author Topic: Liffen, Hacon, Bayes - Norfolk  (Read 10371 times)

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liffen, Hacon, Bayes - Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 18:31 BST (UK) »
Further to previous post earlier today - I have not been able to tie in Hacon burial in Acle to our Hacon. But will give info in case you have further info as possible family link. However several families in Norwich and Yarmouth at time.
Burial was Henry Hacon, husband of Matilda, born 1804, died 1876.
I have found his christening and birth in 1804 in Yarmouth - son of JAmes and Elizabeth. Martha was his third wife, 20 years  younger than him. He married Mary (Thain?) in Yarmouth and had children, then he married Caroline Dennington in Yarmouth in 1858 - she died in 1861, he married MARTHA wILKIN IN Norwich in 1862. In 1871 living in SOuth Walsham.
Cannot establish more at present as my ancestry sub has just lapsed. But as you say there must be something that can lead us further back,
lizb
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all I descend from the Lifton family. Managed to trace back to where a Richard  Lifton was baptised 1788 to a William Lifton and Mary formerly Smith in Hubberston, Wales. I cant seem to go back any further as a lot were nonconformist records. Not sure how long we been residing in bristol, england. I was told we originate from the devon village but I need to see if this is true. The Liftons in Pembrokeshire appeared to be scattered about the place records were from 1750s onwards including Henry, Robert, Ann, William, Richard, Benjamin. I was also told at some point we were Quakers from nantucket, I know they built milford which was the area we were in. In all it appears we went from port to port. In hubberston and local area's they we sailors and shipbuilders. Another source said we came over from Flanders in the late 1700s soi am rather confused..... I know there were a lot of Liftons in Norfolk/Suffolk. I wonder if Richard was baptised in presence of his grandmother? I found a tree where it said William was b 1723 d 1796. I cant find any records of this, however I found a William Liston marry a Mary Smith in Bristol. The early (1750)Pembroke Liftons were born to a William and Elizabeth. There was also a same couple with surname Liston marry 1720. Any help would assist.

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 00:58 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention I noticed some were baptised in Wesylan chapels. Not sure in Pembrokeshire.

Offline londonliffen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 23:22 BST (UK) »
I read your earlier comments regarding South London Liffens' with great interest. I'm at present stuck on my Family Tree. I'm a South London Liffen, and I've got as far back as my Grandfather.Sadly, I've lost my father now but a few years ago when i mentioned that the Liffen name was common in Norfolk (we have a holiday home at Hemsby) he commented" All i know is that the Liffens  had to leave Norfolk in a hurry". He had been told that by someone in the family as a child.My Grandfather was born in South London in 1894 so it was before then.I know that sounds very sinister but I've come to a halt on the tree and maybe someone in this thread might be able to offer some advice.I would so very much like to establish some roots in Norfolk if possible.
Thanks in anticipation.

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 21:50 BST (UK) »
Findmypast.co.uk have updated records and have now found William Lifton b. 1723 d 1796. Doesnt say where he was born only mention of his death. His wife was Mary/Ann Smith b. 1733 she died 1798 aged 65.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 August 13 10:48 BST (UK) »
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sarahliffen53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 15 December 16 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the family of one of my ancestors, Elizabeth Liffen.

ELizabeth was born in Norfolk (per 1851 and 1861 census) but moved to London and in 1836 married Samuel Howe. They continued to live in LOndon but their son Samuel, who was born in July 1847, gives his place of birth as Old Catton, Norfolk.

I have previously corresponded with someone at the Old Catton family history society who was unable to find any trace of Samuel or Elizabeth in Old Catton.
However, in the 1841 census there is a Sarah Liffen living in Catton. So I am assuming that SArah was ELizbeth's mother and that ELizabeth was visiting her when her son was born.

I have not been able to establish anything else about the family. I am aware that the LIffen family originated in Norfolk and Suffolk, but this is a new area of research for me. Hence I would be glad of any advice on tracing them further. Even better, contact with someone who has knowledge of this family.
Hi my name is Sarah Liffen and in not sure if your get this message. Slightly confused how this site works . I am from south east London and wondered if there is s connection to our families. Thank you

Offline londonliffen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 December 16 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

I am a South London Liffen.

I too found that it was difficult at first but there are some very kind and helpful people on RootsChat.

They have helped me go back a while but sadly my tree has stopped.

Feel free to reply if I can be of any help.

Regards

Henry Liffen

Offline Sarahliffen53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 December 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

I am a South London Liffen.

I too found that it was difficult at first but there are some very kind and helpful people on RootsChat.

They have helped me go back a while but sadly my tree has stopped.

Feel free to reply if I can be of any help.

Regards

Henry Liffen
Thank you Henry
I haven't actually started yet.
I do know all my Liffen family stayed around London though. My cousin knows more than me but I will let you know. Could you send me what you have so far and I can tell you if the names link.
Thank you