Author Topic: Liffen, Hacon, Bayes - Norfolk  (Read 10361 times)

Offline Itypeslowly2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liffen, Hacon, Bayes - Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 February 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting the links Harwood, but I'm unable to access the sites...unavailable message comes up.

Offline Itypeslowly2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 February 13 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Lizb, thanks for your offer, but yes, I have indeed been to Acle, its a very nice place and the church is lovely. I made sure I had my photo taken by the font! My old scanned photos are currently lodged on my deceased PC, so I can't upload or share them at the moment. If you get the time try to visit nearby Thrigby where I believe our Liffen ancestors came from, the earliest I have is c1539.

I've amassed quite a lot about the Liffen family in Norfolk but as yet no direct connection between them and our Henry (born c1765) nor his sister Susannah (chr 1767 at Acle), the children I assume, like you, of Robert (born c1730) and Elizabeth Liffen. Robert may have had a sister Mary (chr 1725 at Acle). If so, then their parents were pdobably William (born c1700) and Mary Liffen.

From what I've tracked back it seems the Liffen surname was originally (de) Lyston from Essex..a parish on the Suffolk border. That transmuted into Liston and then Lifton. I found a will of a Lifton who was named in the parish register as Liffen; and in a different will I found a 'Lefen alias Lifton'. Also, the Lowestoft Liffins were originally in the registers as Liftons.

Runham, Filby, Thrigby, Ormesby, Scratby, etc are the nearest villages to Acle with early Liffens. However the christian names Robert and Henry are more commonly used by the Burgh St Peter/Wheatacre/Beccles Liffen families. I think the main reason for losing track of them is the proximity of Norwich, with its multutude of parishes! 

As far as I can tell we are not descended from the Lowestoft/Yarmouth Liffens, they themselves are descended from the Burgh St Peter/Wheatacre Liffens, via Edmund Lifton/Liffin who was chr c1714 at Burgh. He was the great, great grandson of Edmund Lifton and Katherine London ( or Lemon) who married in 1634 at Wheatacre.

This Edmund Lifton junior had a brother William who married a Mary (He must have died around 1741 as she married his brother Henry, named after their father). Whether these are our Robert's parents I don't know. This branch of the family used the names Henry and Robert - their father and grandfather respectively. They also had a connection going back to Ashby in the late 16th to early 17th centuries...the village where the Quaker Hacons lived.

I've actually searched mostly Norfolk registers for Liffen and Hacon, but it seems that before the late 18th century they were living in Suffolk more than I anticipated, and I've barely scratched the surface of that county.

Regarding your descent...I don't have it to hand at the moment, but I think my great, great grandfather John Liffen signed (badly) as a witness at his sisters marriage to Samuel Howe? Do you know anything about their elder sister Mary's marriage to John Howes in 1830 at St George The Martyr in Camden, London. 

My John's family must have kept in close touch with their Norfolk relatives as his daughter Ann Liffen married Samuel HASE of Norwich in 1876 at Mile End, but they lived in London and had no children.

Offline Harwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 February 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Google.  norfolk baptism project,
You should get plenty of norfolk sites.

Offline Itypeslowly2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 February 13 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that tip, Harwood. I have previously seen that site, its an excellent online resource and had some of our info, but for us, we are looking further back, in the 1700's and earlier, and possibly for Quaker or Weslyan ancestry.

Offline Itypeslowly2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 February 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizb, I forgot to mention that when Elizabeth's brother John, my ancestor, came to London he married in a church but afterwards baptised and, sadly, buried his children at the nonconformist (Wesleyan?) Ebenezer Chapel in Stepney. Were Elizabeth and Samuel nonconformist? The early south London Liffens (Robert and Henry, c 1790) were Weslyans. I think they originated from the Beccles Liffen branch. 

By the way, I notice that on your list of names you mention Hacon in Berkshire/Wiltshire, have you connected Saran or Isaac to there?

I really must read up on nonconformity in Norfolk and Suffolk, I don't know how popular it was...people seemed to switch from CofE to nonconformity then back to CofE again...maybe it was only to get their details recorded in the parish registers so that they or their children could in future claim parish relief or settlement rights.

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 February 13 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi' just passing through, you guys seem to be doing pretty good, & on the ball with the various sites, so if I suggest the (norfolk transcription archive) on google, you may have already been there, but just in case, Dave.

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I have not replied before as I have not much to add. I got stuck on these families some time ago and have concentrated on other branches of my family which are spread fairly widely throughout the country. I need to spend time getting my head round the Liffens again. I am not sure I can add anything profitably before I check out what I already have.

Once I have done this I might consider a trip to one of the record offices - like you I think I found Norfolk links dried up and more possible in Suffolk . Or possibly SOG in Lodon which is easier for me.

Taking one of your other points - I do not think that my London branch were non-conformists. I have found baptisms for two of Samuel and ELizabeths children and also for their grandchildren.

There is a mistake on my profile connecting family to Wiltshire - I must update it.

Meanwhile keep in touch and I will let you know if I find anything or have any ideas.
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline Itypeslowly2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liz. There must be something out there!

That nonconformist link is quite flexible. When my ancestor came up to London all his first children were baptised and buried at a nonconformist chapel in Stepney, the family then used the local CofE church for their final four children,s baptisms...and they all survived thankfully.

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:50 BST (UK) »
Brief visit to Acle church over weekend. Found a Hacon gravestone which  I am just about to check to see where it fits into family. Spoke to vicar who said that local historical society is just about to start transcribing churchyard memorials. But ones from time we want are badly warn now. He also told me that a lot of people moved inland from Yarmouth and Acle to escape plague. They were built up areas where disease spread more quickly.
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte