Author Topic: Dr James Pawle 1820 Settler to Cape  (Read 9845 times)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Dr James Pawle 1820 Settler to Cape
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Well I finally got my Niece to get Jemima's death record for me.
On this it gives her age as 48 years and 11 months and her death as May 15th 1834 which certainly brings us closer to the birth I have settled on for her. Her parents are listed as Stephen and Martha Bacon. Children are listed as James Jemima Julia and Maria so  I guess Henry must have died in childhood in South Africa.  I also obtained copies of the Parish register for both her marriages from Ancestry.com and she was married by 'Banns" in 1807 and again in 1813 by banns as a widow.
Using her siblings second names as a clue I have identified her mother as Martha Aydon who married Stephen Bacon on 28 Nov 1781 married by License - presume that means she was a minor - no clue as to her parentage - the marriage took place in London.

Still have not managed to trace James Pawle or how he qualified - my Niece obtained his letter of application to the post of Surgeon at Port  Francis is an abject plea for the post and no reference as to how he is qualified for the post other than to say that 'he was a long resident at Bathurst attending to the settlers with very inadequate or trifling remuneration' and asks to be considered for the post.

Any ideas as to where I can find any info I've searched Munks roll and he doesn't appear there!
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 January 10 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is no indication that either couple in the Aydon/Bacon marriage were minors at the time of their marriage. Marrying by licence has no connection with being a minor, it is just waives the three weeks needed for the banns to be called, so you can marry more quickly and more privately.

If Jemima's South African death certificate gave so much information wouldn't it be worth obtaining James'?

Do their wills give any further information?

Did the Royal College of Physicians have no record of him?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 January 10 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm waiting for a copy of his death record and will - the Cape Archives put a limit on the number of pages they will copy for you at a time. Hopefully in the next batch I receive I will get another clue. I had hoped that his application letter might enlighten us as to where he trained but not. I have written to the Royal College and am waiting to see if I get a response - I'll update this if I get one!

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 January 10 10:25 GMT (UK) »
St Mary Newington, Southwark
1819 Feb 7, Henry Rigg, s/o James & Jemima PAWLE, Uxbridge St Causeway, Surgeon, born 1818 Sep 22

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 January 10 10:58 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of references to him on Google Books, mostly snippet views not full books. One gives a birth year or 1789. The IGI has a submitted entry for him being born in Sussex in 1789.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 January 10 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for this I had found the two sons on the IGI James born 1817 and Henry Rigg in 1818 - its good to see his occupation confirmed on Henry's birth - where dod you get that ?  I cant find the record you refer to for his birth.
I have the extract from the book on the 1820 settlers and also photos of the letters he wrote to go on the 1820 emigration.
I did put a query up on the 1820 settler site but so far no response. Through rootsweb I managed to get a copy of a photo of him and I also have photos of his daughter Jemima and her husband from the Cape Archives,
He intrigues me as I can't imagine how he became a surgeon without a trace of how he qualified. There was somone trying to dig up information on him in 2000 in Rootsweb but they don't appear to have got any further than me
Gillian

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 January 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Just found it attached to the death - not sure I trust that one as it's 'a record submitted by an LDS member'
Will have to wait for the death record from the Cape Archives but I suspect there may not be much information on that!

Cheers

Gillian

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
 ::) Well I received a response from the Royal College of  Surgeons - no sign of James - but the archivist says there is a mention of a James Pawle apprenticed to a William Wood apothacrist in July 1805. Will have to go to the State Library and see if I can find it apparently a work called  Eighteenth Century Medics (which also includes some earlier and later entries…) by P.J. and R.V. Wallis.

Seems like you may not have had to go through the Royal College to become a surgeon!

Curious!

Gillian

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk