Author Topic: WHELLANS family - Morebattle  (Read 32786 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHELLANS family - Morebattle
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 12:46 GMT (UK) »
It's a while since we gave the WHILLANS/WHELLANS name an airing, so perhaps the following will be of interest.

I've just been trying to trace marriages and deaths for the 12 brothers and sisters of my great-grandmother Martha STEWART, who was born circa 1853 in Wilton, Hawick.

I knew already that her eldest sister Jane Murray STEWART married a George WHILLANS in 1872 at Upper Samieston, Jedburgh. He was the son of George WHILLANS and Mary OLIVER, and was born in 1844 at Camptown, Jedburgh. I know of descendants of this couple in Jedburgh and on Vancouver Island, Canada.

I haven't found another marriage of a STEWART to a WHILLANS, but it's interesting that in 1891 my Martha's sister Agnes STEWART and her husband John JACKSON are living at Southdean, and their immediate neighbours are James and Elizabeth OLIVER, while the next cottage is occupied by William and Agnes WHILLANS, his mother Agnes WHILLANS, aged 73(?), daughter Janet A. WHILLANS (11 months), niece and nephew Agnes WHILLANS (14) and James WHILLANS (16), and stepson William GRIEVE (6). Quite a household.

I can tell you that William's parents were James WHILLANS and Agnes JACK. William was born in 1856 at Easter Fodderlee, Hobkirk. I haven't tried to trace this family any further back.

William WHILLANS married Agnes GRIEVE in 1890 at Chesters, Southdean. And here's an interesting slant. Agnes GRIEVE bore her illegitimate son William GRIEVE in 1885 at Ladhope, and my great-grandmother's sister Agnes STEWART (later Mrs. John JACKSON) had her illegitimate son David Hardie STEWART (called after her brother-in-law!!) at Ladhope in the same year. Then these two JACKSON/STEWART and WHILLANS/GRIEVE couples end up next-door but one to each other in 1891.

Harry

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harry

As always with this info, don't know how accurate it may be until checked. There is an Ancestral File on www.familysearch.org for the family of James Whillans and Agnes Jack, with the Whillans line for James back to....1688  ::) As I said, not sure how accurate it may be  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. It looks fairly plausible as far as these things go.

I mentioned before that in 1891 Wm. and Agnes WHILLANS had their niece and nephew Agnes and James WHILLANS living with them. They turn out to be the children of a Janet WHILLANS, who was obviously William's unmarried sister.

I omitted to mention that my 3 x great-grandfather Hugh STEPHENSON was married to a Jemima WHILLANS, and when she died in 1834 she was buried in Smailholm churchyard. She is a real puzzle, as there are no clues whatsoever as to her identity. A distant cousin of mine in the States is really keen to solve that one, as she is a descendant. Me, I'm descended from Hugh STEPHENSON and his previous girlfriend Alison MOFFAT in Melrose, but I'd still like to know who Jemima WHILLANS was.

Harry

Offline mitchec7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 08 November 09 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I have recently been in email contact with Frank Whillans in Melbourne and foud this thread.

Can I make a suggestion about the OPR record for the family Andrew Whellans and Jane Paterson. They are registered in 1855, the year that registration became compulsory. Did famlies have to register previous births? Did Andrew or Jane register the 4 births Wilson, John, Andrew, Jean at the same time following some public notice?

It appears to me that the subsequent change to Whelans or Whilans for Andrew is the fault (no offence meant to any decedants) of the registar and the marriage of Andrew and Agnes Fox, where everyone hs one L and an idistiguishable Wh(e)(i).

I should declare my interest here, my mother-in-law is Elizabeth (Betty) Anderson Whellans born 1917, whose father was Andrew Douglas Whellans married Mary Halliburton Gourlay, son of Andrew Douglas Whellans married to Mary McLeod Broomfield, son of Andrew Whellans and Agnes Fox.

I realise that you have gone in various directions since the original postings but would be happy to share findings about these Andrews in particular.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 08 November 09 15:56 GMT (UK) »
What a coincidence that you should mention the name BROOMFIELD. Someone with that middle name figures in the post I made yesterday on the HUGGAN thread -

I've been reading in the sports pages of today's "Scotsman" about the young men of London Scottish rugby football team who were killed in WWI. One of them was a James L. HUGGAN, who was killed in France in 1914, aged 25. He had scored a try in the last Scotland v. England rugby international in Edinburgh.

I've checked Scotlandspeople, and he looks like James Laidlaw HUGGAN, born in 1888 at Allery(?), Jedburgh, to Robert HUGGAN, engineer & millwright, and his wife Isabella Broomfield LAIDLAW. This couple were married in 1880 at Duns, Berwickshire.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 02 May 10 19:41 BST (UK) »

I omitted to mention that my 3 x great-grandfather Hugh STEPHENSON was married to a Jemima WHILLANS, and when she died in 1834 she was buried in Smailholm churchyard. She is a real puzzle, as there are no clues whatsoever as to her identity. A distant cousin of mine in the States is really keen to solve that one, as she is a descendant. Me, I'm descended from Hugh STEPHENSON and his previous girlfriend Alison MOFFAT in Melrose, but I'd still like to know who Jemima WHILLANS was.

Harry

When my 5 x great-grandfather William STEPHENSON drew up his last will and testament in 1807 at Langburnshiels farm, parish of Hobkirk, he had it witnessed by his farm servant Robert WHILLANS. Does anybody have any information on Robert?

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
It's not usually advisable to mention living people on these forums but I think I may be permitted to quote this extract from an article about the Hawick Common Riding in today's Scotland on Sunday -

"At the sight of the Cornet and riders, none cheers louder than Charles Whillans, known as Chuck or Mr Common Riding, a small jovial man in a blazer. At 87, he is the oldest living former Cornet, having discharged that duty in 1948. He hopes, he says, to have his coffin draped in the blue and gold flag; though, of course, his many friends in Hawick pray that day is far off. It was Helen Ford who pointed him out to me. Whillans is the first Cornet she remembers; he visited her school in his green tailcoat when she was five. Now both are old but seem young. "Here's my Common Riding kiss", she says, pecking his cheek. "Thanks bonnie lass", he replies."

Harry

Offline Du Cros

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 28 December 14 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi are you still pursuing the Whellans family history? I am in Melbourne Australia and have just uncovered a treasure trove for you! My grandmother was Evelyn Grace Whellans born 20/08 1899 in Prahran Victoria Australia (she married Reginald Joseph Bowerman Thomspon on 4/08/1919 and they had three children Meryl Kathleen Thompson (my mother) Russell Stanley Thompson and Reginald Neil Thomspon) she had a sister Mary Alison Stewart Whellans born 1883. Their parents were Robert John Whellans and Mary Elizabeth Baxter .  I also found the link with Morebattle as I have a original "Lines written in Memory" of Alison Stewart Whellans (a poem) dated Morebattle 9th June 1876 so I presume my great Aunt was named after her! I have photos of them as children and my middle names are Alison and Eve :) I also have lots of birth, death, marriage certificates and personal letters and wills! The family predominately live in St Kilda Victoria Australia. My grandmother died in in approx 1947. I would love to hear from either of you two...my email is info@mpgetawayz.com.au Cheers Faith  I also have personal letters written from Morebattle