Author Topic: 123 Cresent Rd, Crumpsall 1843  (Read 41711 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 123 Cresent Rd, Crumpsall 1843
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 17 May 09 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the second site Ken! Lots of gory reading there!!

I may now be able to find a birth date for my great aunt Kathleen Boshell,[known as Kit] who died 28th Dec.1927 at 123, Crescent Road. She was a nursing sister, and 'lived in' at Holland Road.

She was only 42 and unmarried. I have been unable to find her birth in Dublin circa 1885. She is in the 1911 Dublin census as Kate, aged 26.

[There is another thread about this on the Dublin page. Sorry I don't know how to link them, probably not necessary here!]

Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 27 June 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
Just to add...
Death certificate arrived this morning, date 1966, address 223 Crescent Road, Crumpsall.  Not 123!

There seems to be a lot of confusion as the modern North Manchester Hosp is off Delauneys Road, but the old Springfield Hospital, previously Park Hospital, Previously Crumpsall Workhouse, was on Crescent Road. Different sites completely. My relative's cause of death suggests that she was in a hospital, or a geriatric nursing hospital, at the time.

Just the address at 223, not 123, is intriguing!

Hilary
HARTIGAN, JOYNT, MULLAUGH, PIXTON, RENSHAW, DOOLEY, MEIR, HARRISON, LONGDON, MCNALLY, KENNY, KEATING, BELTON, CUMPSTON, WILLIAMS, PRICE, DODD, WILLIAMS, MOTTERSHEAD, WIGLEY, SALTHOUSE, BRADLEY, WALTERS, BRAIDWOOD, INGLES, MILLER, HESKETH, RALSTON, COLEMAN, ELLERY, WARBURTON

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 27 June 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
Found this on the Workhouse website

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Manchester/Manchester.shtml

123 was the workhouse:

"From 1904, to protect them from disadvantage in later life, the birth certificates for those born in the workhouse gave its address just as 123 (later 223) Crescent Road, Crumpsall."

Also on another site, a lady who was a nurse at 223 Crescent Road, the old Crumpsall Hospital. Although the hospital was combined with the others to become the North Manchester, it is not on the same site as the present day North Manchester Hospital on Delaunies Road (though most of you had worked this out already, of course!)
HARTIGAN, JOYNT, MULLAUGH, PIXTON, RENSHAW, DOOLEY, MEIR, HARRISON, LONGDON, MCNALLY, KENNY, KEATING, BELTON, CUMPSTON, WILLIAMS, PRICE, DODD, WILLIAMS, MOTTERSHEAD, WIGLEY, SALTHOUSE, BRADLEY, WALTERS, BRAIDWOOD, INGLES, MILLER, HESKETH, RALSTON, COLEMAN, ELLERY, WARBURTON

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 27 June 09 21:08 BST (UK) »
I worked at Crumpsall Hospital  in the  late  1950`s and just a  few years or so ago had to go with my husband there, only now it is called North Manchester .It is the same building on the same site as in the 1950`s.There were  lots of other buildings as well, The Geriatric Hospital Springfield, the Psychiatric wards which were seperate and then the old workhouse site. The mortuary was just opposite he main entrance, on the other side of the road going through the site. Matron`s office was just to the left of the main entrance. Al built of the same stripey brick with lots of little tower or turrets on the corners .Has it been altered since we were there last?Viktoria.

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 27 June 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Viktoria. I've been looking at it on Google Earth, the new North Manchester Hospital is off Delauneys, the Crescent Road site appears to be a school - I can see netball courts etc! I might have a drive up there next week.

I was wondering whether, in 1966 when my relative died age 85, 223 Crescent Road was a geriatric hospital? She had always lived in Salford, and we can't really understand how she ended up in Crumpsall!

Best wishes, Hilary

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 28 June 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Kelly's 1953/4 has no 123 Crescent Road, goes from111, Major, Wm, to Crumpsall Crescent, to St Anne's (R C) church, to St Anne's (R C0 school, and Presbytery, to Crescent Avenue, to 147 Frank Roberts.

But 223 has:

223 Springfield Hospital ( Springfield & Swinton Hospital Management Committee)

223 Crumpsall Hospital (North Manchester Management Committee)

Farrar, Alfrd, pig breeder (Clarkesville)

Hebrew Old Congregational Burial Ground
!

Then it turns round and goes down the other side of the road.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 28 June 09 00:25 BST (UK) »
PS

Also, by then, 72 Delaunay's Road has:

(Jumps from 62, across Birch Road, to:

72 Crumpsall Hospital Park House (H Ellis master).

Good night

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 28 June 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Emms.

I think that clears things up for me. We'll never know why she ended up in Crumpsall and we'll have to assume that she was taken there simply because there was a bed available at the time. But it does seem that it was a hospital that would cater more specifically for an elderly lady who was terminally ill, so perhaps it was a good move for her.

Thankyou to everyone on the thread!
Hilary